old enough to learn?

Old February 4th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default old enough to learn?

My neice Jess (recipient of many hand knitted things from me and
crocheted things from her mama, the one who loves "made" things) was
over last weekend. Mom and Dad watched her and her little brother
while I went up town to study for my wastewater certification exam...
when I got home Mom had my current project (a dusty blue baby blanket)
in a plastic tote for safekeeping. She said "little ones kept playing
with it." I put it in my knitting tote and went to the BF's house the
next day. I pulled out the blanket and realized a little girl had
tried very hard to knit the blanket-- she really only missed the step
of pulling the yarn through the loop, but had several wraps around the
needles and got the rest of the steps right. She didn't drop any
stitches or anything.

So I'm wondering if she's too young to teach knit or crochet (my sister
can teach the latter--I still haven't figured it out) since she just
turned 5 last week. She REALLY wants to try, but I don't want her to
get discouraged if she can't do it "right" immediately. Would
something like plastic canvas be more age-appropriate?

BTW, I was 4-6 when Grandma first tried to teach me. I'm not positive
exactly what age, but somewhere in there.

-Amanda
http://www.uberpest.com

Old February 4th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Amanda, she is the PERFECT age!
JM2C,
Hugs,
Noreen
--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.

ups.com...

Old February 4th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

[...]

My Grandma taught me when I was 4

Old February 4th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Kandace was 5 when she started. She did it in bits and pieces for a couple
of years, and now can knit (just knit stitch, not purl) quite evenly. I
think that starting young, but with no pressure, makes it easier later.
HTH

Higs,
Katherine

Old February 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Amanda Tikkanen wrote:
[...]

Hi Amanda

If she's showing that much interest, I'd teach her how, and quick!

My 7yo DD can *almost* crochet on her own, but can't get the hang of
knitting. My 10yo DD has no interest in learning either. My 5yo DS
has decided he wants to crochet...we'll see how that turns out.

Maybe teaching her with large needles and some non-slippery yarn (like
red heart super saver) would work. Perhaps use needles a size or two
too large so she can really see where the needles and yarn need to go.

My two cents....

Michelle

Old February 5th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I learned to knit at about 5 , maybe i was younger , as she is
obviously very kin to try it , by all means try and teach her ,,,
you mught also teach her how to cable a lazy daisy ,, mirjam

Old February 5th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mom says she's going to try to teach Jess crochet. Jess's mom can
crochet but not knit, so it will be easier to help her at home. I have
a bunch of easy-learning yarn in my stash that Jess should have fun
with.

-Amanda
http://www.uberpest.com

Old February 5th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Amanda Tikkanen" wrote in
ups.com:

So I'm wondering if she's too young to teach knit or
crochet (my sister can teach the latter--I still haven't
figured it out) since she just turned 5 last week. She
REALLY wants to try, but I don't want her to get
discouraged if she can't do it "right" immediately. Would
something like plastic canvas be more age-appropriate?

well, if she wants to knit, plastic canvas isn't going to
make her happy. it's not the same...
my son is 5 & he knits using a knitting frame, one of those
round plastic ones they sell at craft stores. while he does
occaisionally miss a stitch or 4, it doesn't seem to bother
his perfectionist nature & he's made some nice hats. he has
asked for a rectangular frame next, for scarves.
if you do want to start her with needles, try a size between
8 & 10. most of the kid kits i've seen have 15s or 17s, which
are actually really hard for little hands to hold. they might
be ok for 9 & up, but they're too clumsy for a 5 year old.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old February 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi

I learned to knit a bit at age 5 and enjoyed it. I know I wasn't
perfect but at least I could do something myself.

Darlene in Toronto

Old February 5th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

She's over now, just settled down for her nap (she has a cold and had
to take her "night night" medicine). Mom tried to show her crochet
while I was out for a bit, but Jess had some trouble with that. I had
7s and 11s for her to try with and she's doing alright. She makes a
mistake here and there, but that's okay. I do have some round hat
looms... if I can find them I might send them home for her and her mom
to use.

-Amanda
http://www.uberpest.com

Learn to Knit CD Brenda Harris Yarn 8 March 28th 05 02:10 AM
New and wanting to learn Sagoya Beads 7 February 12th 05 04:44 PM
Learn French in the Alps. georg Quilting 0 October 4th 04 12:07 AM
AD-Ceramic Classes and Workshops Craft Students League, NYC Pottery 0 August 5th 04 07:09 PM
AD: ongoing Pottery/Ceramics courses - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Pottery 0 February 26th 04 09:43 PM