OT (a bit) Moving to Spain

Old December 12th 03, 04:03 AM
Els van Dam

Default OT (a bit) Moving to Spain

In article , "Kari"
wrote:

Hi RCTY,
I have a dilemma!
My DH and I are planning on moving to the Andalusia region of Spain in 2004.
Now before I agree to move - I have a couple of IMPORTANT PRIORITIES to sort
out....
Can I take my Knitting machines and Computer?????

I know the electrical voltage is the same as in UK, but....
Are there any knitters from Spain on RCTY? Can I get yarn, knitting and DAK
support out there?

I am not moving if I cannot remain in the Knitting World!!!!

vbg

You can knit, weave, braid, spin, crochet, embroider, etc etc etc,
anywhere in the world. Make sure you do take your hands.....(big smile)
and your handy own computer.....(read brain)...and you are a long way
there. Most, if not all of the European countries have been historically
great places for all of the above. Go for it and be adventurous. We will
be here waiting to hear from you living in your new countrie.

Been there done that, and it works....I did it from Holland to Canada.....

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 12th 03, 12:24 PM
Anna MCM

Kari wrote:

Hi RCTY,
I have a dilemma!
My DH and I are planning on moving to the Andalusia region of Spain in =

2004.
Now before I agree to move - I have a couple of IMPORTANT PRIORITIES to=

sort
out....
Can I take my Knitting machines and Computer?????
=20
I know the electrical voltage is the same as in UK, but....
Are there any knitters from Spain on RCTY? Can I get yarn, knitting and=

DAK
support out there?
=20
I am not moving if I cannot remain in the Knitting World!!!!
=20

Hello Kari!

I have never been in Spain (sigh!), but I had a major moving as well,=20
from Italy to Sweden :-)
I had no problems in taking with me my computer: no customs, since we=20
are in the EU (exactly like UK and Spain), just made sure to have all=20
the programs regurarly licensed (but I had no problems anyway, no one=20
checked at the border).
I have no knitting machines, but took many other house appliances with=20
me. Some required to change the plug, but that was all.

As for the yarn, I can=B4t be of any help, but since winter gets cold in=
=20
Spain :-) I am positively sure that knitters do exist in Spain as well.

All the best and good luck with the moving!

Anna Maria

Old December 12th 03, 02:25 PM
Yarn Forward

Thanks to the Internet, you can buy yarn from anywhere in the world and have it
shipped anywhere in the world.
Roger.
--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old December 12th 03, 04:37 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:25:10 -0500, Yarn Forward
wrote:

Thanks to the Internet, you can buy yarn from anywhere in the world and have it
shipped anywhere in the world.

I've been afraid to order yarn (or other things) from the US since I
heard of the outrageous customs and shipping fees that were being
added to packages mailed from the US (apart from what the sender
paid). Twice people here in Italy that I know received packages with
fees attached that were more than the value of the articles inside.
They had to pay these fees or refuse delivery of the articles.

Supposedly, these fees were added because the US postal service had
contracted package handling to the British Royal Mail, who added the
fees.

Even before that, though, I had to pay a rather hefty customs fee for
something I bought online in the US.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old December 12th 03, 05:26 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Barbara,

Gee, I've been sending all kinds of packages to England, Finland, Sweden and
others and as long as I kept the value under $10 and put gift, the receiver
hasn't had any problems, or if they have they didn't mention it to me.

HTH,

Nora
Old December 12th 03, 05:37 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On 12 Dec 2003 16:26:30 GMT, NoraBalcer wrote:

Hi Barbara,

Gee, I've been sending all kinds of packages to England, Finland, Sweden and
others and as long as I kept the value under $10 and put gift, the receiver
hasn't had any problems, or if they have they didn't mention it to me.

HTH,

Nora

Hmmm. I either put no cash value (NCV) or not applicable (N/A) and write
GIFT large, and I do not list the entire contents, because if it IS a gift,
they know what it is before they open it!
JM2C
Noreen
also, besides the customs CN-22 form, I do write the same thing ON the
parcel or envelope, along with CN-22 form attached. Then, if the PO loses
it (their sticky stuff is autrocious!), at least I have on there that it
WAS there!
oh another thought, according to the CN-22, if it's under $300, you don't
HAVE to list contents.

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 13th 03, 02:32 PM
Yarn Forward

wrote:

Thanks to the Internet, you can buy yarn from anywhere in the world and have it
shipped anywhere in the world.

I've been afraid to order yarn (or other things) from the US since I
heard of the outrageous customs and shipping fees that were being
added to packages mailed from the US (apart from what the sender
paid). Twice people here in Italy that I know received packages with
fees attached that were more than the value of the articles inside.
They had to pay these fees or refuse delivery of the articles.
(snip)

For the record, we are a Canadian company. I agree that some countries do add a
lot of fees when you order from overseas. We solved this problem in the UK. We
have a deal with our shipper. All our UK prices on our UK website include all
duty, taxes, and fees. Our shipper pays them all and bills us back, and we pay
them. If the demand is there, we could include all the EU in this scheme, but
the problem right now is that each EU country still seems to have different
rates of VAT even if the duties are harmonized, and this makes life very
complicated for us.

How about a quick survey. Are many of RCTY readers in the EU, and do you buy
yarn on line?

Roger.

--
Yarn Forward