Filet Cross stitch

Old July 13th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Default Filet Cross stitch

I have stitched over 2o years and never heard of this stitch. I am starting
a new project. An Eagle scout for my son.Most of it are filet stitches.
Nothing says what it is. Something I probably know but by another name
maybe.
Thanks
Donna

Old July 13th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Donna D." wrote in message
news
I have stitched over 2o years and never heard of this stitch. I am
starting a new project. An Eagle scout for my son.Most of it are filet
stitches. Nothing says what it is. Something I probably know but by
another name maybe.
Thanks
Donna

Wish I could help but the only filet stitch I know is on crochet.

Lucille

Old July 13th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Thanks
But I couldn't really find instructions so I think I might do half stitches
or regular stitches. It said it was supposed to look like a fine net. I
don't see why that is necessary
Donna
wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:28:01 -0400, "Donna D."
wrote:

I have stitched over 2o years and never heard of this stitch. I am
starting
a new project. An Eagle scout for my son.Most of it are filet stitches.
Nothing says what it is. Something I probably know but by another name
maybe.
Thanks
Donna

I decided to google and think this explains it, you could either do
the pattern in filet crochet, or cross stitch.

http://crochet.about.com/library/blfreecharts.htm

Old July 13th 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruth Plummer

Is it possible that you create a net then weave it like fillet lace? I
did two pieces from classes at the old CATS (Stitching Festival0 by
Marilyn of Stoney Creek in what she called "Lacis." First the fabric
was in a hoop because tension is vital. Then I back-stitched a VERY
tight line on the outside of the design area. Then (I think) every two
threads were cut and removed (cut-cut-leave-leave-cut-cut-etc.). Then
I anchored a waste know about two inches outside the area, then
wrapped a thread around each horizontal set of threads to make each
set of two threads look like one thick thread, Then the vertical
threads were done, but that incorporated the lace design. Basically
the technique was the same for fillet lace except you make the net.
The starting and ending threads were anchored by a design cross-
stitched close to the lacis area.
Old July 13th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruth Plummer

"waste know" is actually "waste knot." Sorry.

Old July 13th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 7/12/2010 7:28 PM, Donna D. wrote:
I have stitched over 2o years and never heard of this stitch. I am starting
a new project. An Eagle scout for my son.Most of it are filet stitches.
Nothing says what it is. Something I probably know but by another name
maybe.
Thanks
Donna

Here's a photo of a chart of "filet cross stitch"

http://www.ecrater.com/p/1935876/cou...-cross-stitch#

The explanation says, "1983 Vanessa-Ann Collection booklet containing
cross stitch charts for a variety of filet cross stitch projects. Filet
cross stitch is a modern interpretation of filet brode' in that when the
project is complete, the background resembles a delicate net. This is
accomplished by stitching the background with only one strand of floss,
and the design area with enough strands to cover the fabric."

Another photo:
http://auctions.findtarget.com/detai...s_stitch_kits/

This one looks almost like you create a canvas with grid threads, cross
stitch over it, then withdraw original fabric threads. Almost like using
waste canvas? Is that the idea?

HTH,
Sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old July 13th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jul 12, 6:28*pm, "Donna D." wrote:
I have stitched over 2o years and never heard of this stitch. I am starting
a new project. An Eagle scout *for my son.Most of it are *filet stitches.
Nothing says what it is. Something I probably know but by another name
maybe.

Donna, is there a picture of this project somewhere? Maybe that would
help us, although it looks like maybe Susan might have found what it
is. I'd never heard of it, either.

Joan
Old July 14th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

I looked at that but never found actual instructions. I really have to rush
this and put 2 pictures in one. The is the anniversary of scouting and the
emblem doesn't match the one in the book I bought so I am putting them
together. I thought I had more time to work on this but it looks like things
are falling in to place fast.
Thanks
Donna

Old July 14th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Filet lace patterns are adaptable to cross stitch. I've done them.
Makes beautiful patterning.

Dianne

Cross Stitch .... Needlework 6 January 15th 04 05:39 PM
eBay with only 24 hours remaining: cross-stitch kit & counted cross-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 19th 03 12:39 PM
eBay with only 24 hours remaining: cross-stitch kit & counted cross-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 19th 03 12:39 PM
eBay: "Hearts" Counted cross-stitch kit & "Glorious Earth" x-stitch patterns Suezq Marketplace 0 September 17th 03 12:29 PM