And time for

Old December 14th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default And time for

F.James Cripwell wrote:
lucretia borgia ) writes:
It has been a boon for a little island - the Japanese come all the way
to the Maritimes to visit PEI and see Anne's house ! Did you know
that many Japanese weddings take place there, bringing all their
entourages, very lucrative. I read the books as a child, mine were
those my aunt had previously read.

Of course, Anne never had a house!! It was all fiction. So the PEI
authorities found a house of the right era, painted the gables green, and
called it Anne's House. Wonderful for the tourist trade. Jim.

I may be wrong, but I believe the house is the one where L.M. Montgomery
lived with her Aunt and Uncle while on P.E.I., so while it isn't Anne's
house, her creator did live there.

MargW
Old December 14th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce

Yes, I think Olwen may be more common, but the "wyn" or "wen" part means
white, and the spelling not always the same. After all, the language
existed before the act of writing it down!

NE England is close to Scotland, and there are many similarities in the
languages. I once saw and heard two girls, one Welsh and one Scottish,
having a conversation, each speaking her own form of Gaelic/Celtic!

Joyce in RSA.

"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message
Joyce wrote:
Olwyn is - or was - quite a normal Welsh name.

Joyce in RSA.

But (1) I come from Northeast England, and (2) I always understood the
Welsh spell it with an e rather than a y. (hence the cards) No-one in our
county had ever heard of it, and neither have most North Americans.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old December 14th 08, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arnhild

Thanks for the link. I googled for more information about Penelope Keith and
found that she was known for snobby, opinionated characters which would make
her perfect for Agatha Raisin.

And wasn't it Penelope Keith who was in "To the Manor Born"? Because
the leading lady there was certainly perfect for the part she played!

Arnhild
Old December 14th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Arnhild wrote:

Thanks for the link. I googled for more information about Penelope Keith and
found that she was known for snobby, opinionated characters which would make
her perfect for Agatha Raisin.

And wasn't it Penelope Keith who was in "To the Manor Born"? Because
the leading lady there was certainly perfect for the part she played!

Arnhild

It was indeed Penelope Keith who played the Lady of the Manor. She also
played Margot in "The Good Life" opposite Barbara (Felicity Kendal)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 14th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/13/08 9:05 AM, "anne" wrote:

says...

Last week I read Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews, which I also
really liked, and it's also a murder mystery.

When I went to my library's online catalog to place a hold on the peacocks
book, some of her titles looked familiar. Since my memory is awful, I'll just
reread it

On the shelf waiting to see what I get to first are three books by
authors I haven't read anything by yet; Sister Carol Anne O'Marie,
M.C.Beaton and ......Monica Ferris. (No, I really haven't read her
before.)

I like MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series. BBC America had a
run of Hamish MacBeth shows; does anyone know if Agatha was translated to the
big or little screens?

I loved the Hamish MacBeth series. But, alas, even the rerun-reruns are
gone. I don't recall the Agatha Raisin ones being done, but I'm no
authority. Interesting that some of the actors from Hamish MacBeth then
became familiar on the bigger screen - namely Shirley Henderson (who was in
the Bridget Jones movies, and the first Harry Potter), and of course Robert
Carlyle - who has been in any number of films - good and bad.

I've kept up reading the HM series, but haven't started the Agatha Raisin
ones - but I may.

ellice

Old December 14th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Bruce Fletcher

The Scottish registrars of births, deaths & marriages require a lot of
detail. When I registered the death of my grandmother, aged 84) in 1985 I
had to give the maiden name of her mother (who died in 1938). Apparently
this is why genealogists are always happy when they have to trace anyone
with family connections in Scotland.
--

(VBG) With my mum's family, there are enough Margaret Andersons and John
Andersons, across generations and on both sides, to make your head spin.

Dawne

Old December 14th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Mirjam wrote
In Europe it is Common to ask for the maiden name ,
mirjam

It is curious to me in this new millenium why we still assume women will
change their name throughout life and men never will.
My name is my name is my name--so probably no use to my children as a secret
code to get the bank to hand over their PIN.

Dawne

Old December 14th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:40:33 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
opined:

Mirjam wrote
In Europe it is Common to ask for the maiden name ,
mirjam

It is curious to me in this new millenium why we still assume women will
change their name throughout life and men never will.
My name is my name is my name--so probably no use to my children as a
secret
code to get the bank to hand over their PIN.

Dawne

I never changed my name, had a terrible fight with the passport office
over it (British) and they even felt that before I could put the kids
on my passport I should have a letter of consent from David. I
enquired if he needed one to put them on his passport, no he didn't,
and that is when the proverbial s**t hit the fan.

I can just see you slightly apoplectic over that gaffe.

Similar, but not as serious, was when a department store insisted on putting
my husband's name on the credit card I had in my maiden name from the time I
was 18 and giving me access to it. As soon as I changed the name to my
married name, they automatically put the card in his name. I fought them
and after a very long, hard fight got them to put my name as the primary
cardholder and his as the add on.