And time for

Old December 13th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default And time for

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:52:05 GMT, Gillian Murray
opined:
Anne of Green Gables was always very proud that she was "Anne, with an
'e' "

And doesn't PEI revel in it! LOL

It has been a boon for a little island - the Japanese come all the way
to the Maritimes to visit PEI and see Anne's house ! Did you know
that many Japanese weddings take place there, bringing all their
entourages, very lucrative. I read the books as a child, mine were
those my aunt had previously read.

I read them all, too. It seems so strange that a fictional person and
her home and life are such attractions all these years later. I remember
going to the home, and thinking "How weird" because Anne didn't live
there because she didn't exist.

Of course..I guess there is the Mouse and Cinderella's Castle down here.
I would rather have PEI!

Old December 13th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

lucretia borgia ) writes:
It has been a boon for a little island - the Japanese come all the way
to the Maritimes to visit PEI and see Anne's house ! Did you know
that many Japanese weddings take place there, bringing all their
entourages, very lucrative. I read the books as a child, mine were
those my aunt had previously read.

Of course, Anne never had a house!! It was all fiction. So the PEI
authorities found a house of the right era, painted the gables green, and
called it Anne's House. Wonderful for the tourist trade. Jim.
Old December 13th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

lewmew wrote:
now I have to deal with
the fact that there's another Linda W in town - whose birthday is one
day different than mine (same year and everything)

Welcome to the club.

Somewhere in town is a woman with a maiden name one letter off from
mine, and the identical birthdate. Before my first visit to the medical
center, a few months after moving here, the appointment clerk called to
set me up with a medical record number, and decided she knew better than
I did whether I'd been there before.

So I walk in for my first appointment and they've got a 6" stack of
records on me, which I was pretty sure was more than I had in the entire
world, but I hadn't given them the names of my previous doctors yet, so
I had no clue how they'd gotten my previous records.

Fortunately, I'm missing some scars that my birthday-twin has, so I was
finally able to convince the doctor that I did not spend months in a
rubber room and needed a medical record number of my own.

And, fortunately, her married name isn't even close to mine.

After that experience, if any doctor's office in this town asks for my
maiden name, I refuse to give it to them. I have never used it in this
town, haven't used it at all since the early 80s, they're not going to
find anything more about me by using it ... though they might find
something about her and I don't want her tortured medical history mixed
up with mine ever again.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 13th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Karen C in California" wrote in message
lewmew wrote:
[...]

Why on earth would they ever ask for your maiden name? No one has ever
asked me for that. Even when they ask for a name as a password for secure
web sites or banking, they generally ask for your mother's maiden name.

Old December 13th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default OT Names , was And time for

flitterbit wrote:
anne wrote:
says...

One would think that Lucille wasn't a particularly difficult name to
spell but it's misspelled on my birth certificate. My mother, who
was born in Brooklyn so it wasn't a language problem, always said
she was going to have it changed to the correct spelling but she
never did and now it certainly doesn't seem important.

My daughter Lauren's first birth certificate had her name as Erin
Shaft, a *******ization of our last name. I got it corrected immediately.

One would think that Anne is a simple to pronounce name but one would
be wrong. I've lost count of the people who call me 'Ann eeeeeeeee' as
in Annie Oakley when they see it spelled.

Heh -- Oakley is my maiden name, and during my lifetime I've been called
"Annie" by more people than I can count, and every single one of them
seemed to think doing so was not only absolutely hilarious, but original
to boot. My given name isn't Anne or any variation thereof, though

Don't feel bad....my maiden name was Stripp; you can imagine the fun the
kids had with that one!

The family story is that my aunt enlisted in the WAAF during WW2 in
England. Her name was called out, Edith Mary May Stripp, and the NCO in
charge promptly replied "Not here she can't".

Gillian

Old December 13th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
flitterbit

Gillian Murray wrote:
flitterbit wrote:
anne wrote:
[...]

I can, most definitely!

The family story is that my aunt enlisted in the WAAF during WW2 in
England. Her name was called out, Edith Mary May Stripp, and the NCO in
charge promptly replied "Not here she can't".

Good one!

Gillian

Old December 13th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

lewmew wrote:
[...]

L- Hide quoted text -

In Europe it is Common to ask for the maiden name ,
mirjam