And time for

Old December 10th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Default And time for

"Karen C in California" wrote
Olwyn Mary wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Our library now sends an email a few days before things are due, but I
never mind paying the fines because it helps support the library.
Victoria

But then, you can afford to. I remember when we were "young'n'broke",
with two small children constantly in need of shoes or something, and I
did almost all my reading at the public library. I went there regularly,
every week, for my dose of escape fiction, plus all my research, and
library fines were something to be avoided at all costs, because for the
price of a library fine I could either buy some more groceries, or,
perhaps, a paperback book at a yard sale.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Exactly. When I have a fine, I don't mind handing them $1 and saying
"keep the change", but I have fines so rarely that it's no big deal. OTOH,
the ex was already spending more than he was earning, and incurred library
fines on a monthly basis, putting himself even further in the hole.

At our library, once you have $5 in fines, you can't borrow anything else
until the fines are paid. You can go into debt, but only in $5 increments!
You cannot borrow books if you have a "lost book" notation that has not been
resolved (i.e. the book paid for). That doesn't prevent someone from
borrowing one big batch of stuff and never returning it, but it can only
happen once.
(my library card includes my first initial, which I try to avoid doing
because it is a first initial and not a middle initial and no form in the
world is designed for it etc etc, because there was another Dawne Peterson
whom the library cut off from borrowing privileges. Imagine---not being
able to use the library!!! Imagine--someone else whose parents condemned
her to a lifetime of spelling "Dawne"!!)
Dawne

Old December 10th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

Like everyone else I spend on supplies mostly, and do a
small spree every few months after saving.

As for books, I get a new one from Coles every 2-4 weeks.
But I found a great place for needlework books and charts, we
have a second hand/recycle company store here and I spend
only $20 max but I get at least $400 new value in books/charts.
Being on a pension, there is no way I can spend that much on
new books every month.

Some are older and hard to get at the book or craft store, but
most are less than 10 years from the original publish date and
would cost more than my max for just one book/chart new. Just
using a low average for each and I figure I've gotten over $2000
new yet only spent about $80-100.

So if someone is looking to own a lot of books/charts but like
me don't have much money, take a look at this type of store to
increase your home library. I am very glad a friend directed me
to this store for the books, only thing to remember is that
unlike a retail store it will not be there next time and sometimes
the select may be lacking but other times you may wish you
had more money to spend.

"Donna" wrote in message

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books?? I see lots of
people who spend $$$$$$$$$ on needlework supplies, but very few who
spend money on books.

Just the impression I get from reading here.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I buy books. Needlework books, cookbooks, poetry, and the occasional
non-fiction book. All fiction comes from the library. If I bought all
the fiction I read, I would have died under a landslide of books many,
many years ago.

Donna in Virginia

Old December 11th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

This discusssion has reminded me that two of my best cookbooks were
bought for $1 each at library book sales. The first one, "Keep it Short
and Simple" by Ruth H. Brent, 1972, bought in Ohio, has a whole bunch of
recipes with no more than four ingredients. (Salt, pepper and water are
not counted, as everyone is assumed to have those on hand). When I came
here from U.K as a new bride, I was very glad I had brought my cookbooks
with me. I was astonished to find these great long American recipes
with sixteen ingredients each, all seeming far more complicated than
necessary. Good food, simply cooked, that's my motto. Of course, a lot
of the recipes in that book are terribly dated now,particularly the ones
which start with "A can of Cream of Mushroom soup." However, some of
them are still very usable and many have been copied out by young brides
over the years.

The second I bought in Tampa, also for $1. "Waste Not, Want Not" by
Helen McCully, 1975. This is an entire cookbook of things to do with
leftovers, all the way from meats of various kinds through egg whites or
yolks, vegetables, and even cold rice. I still refer to it frequently.

Aanother early treasure is the first edition of "Betty Crocker's Dinner
for Two Cookbook". I got that one for 10c at a rummage sale, and I know
it was contributed by a very snooty "society" young matron, who probably
got it as an engagement present or something. I seized upon it because
it had simple recipes for All-American favorites which I had never made
in the U.K., so didn't know about them, but "Everybody knows how to make
coleslaw!! (or potato salad or...........)but the problem was - I
didn't! (But I do now).

Incidentally, the quantities in that book are very revealing about how
we ate then and now. For instance, on the night when hamburgers were on
the menu, the bride was instructed to buy 8 ounces of ground beef. When
did you last see an 8oz. pkg of ground beef in the store?

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old December 12th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 1:34 pm, Karen C in California wrote:

XH could never remember to return library books, so whenever we came
home from the library, I wrote on the calendar, in the square for the
due date, how many books had to go back.

My libe prints out a receipt type slip - I plop it on the fridge under
a magnet, after writing the date in large letters with a fat Sharpie.
I have been known to extend the due date three or more times - easy to
do by phone - even if returned late, they collect no fees, as long as
the books are returned and no one's been waiting for them.
Old December 12th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Incidentally, the quantities in that book are very revealing about how
we ate then and now. For instance, on the night when hamburgers were on
the menu, the bride was instructed to buy 8 ounces of ground beef. When
did you last see an 8oz. pkg of ground beef in the store?

That depends ... which store?

The little mom & pop grocery behind our last apartment building catered
to one- and two-person households (a lot of singles and a lot of seniors
in the neighborhood). They carried the smallest sizes of everything,
and small packages of meat, too. On top of which, the butcher once told
me that I just had to ring the bell and he'd split the two-serving steak
into a one-person size, not a problem.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 12th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Dec 10, 11:18 am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
"Karen C in California" wrote

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

[...]

Two Dawne Petersons? Amazing. I could only imagine this happening in
the NYC area.

Did you ever think of dropping that 'e' - legally or otherwise?
Old December 12th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

wrote
(my library card includes my first initial, which I try to avoid doing
because it is a first initial and not a middle initial and no form in the
world is designed for it etc etc, because there was another Dawne
Peterson
whom the library cut off from borrowing privileges. Imagine---not being
able to use the library!!! Imagine--someone else whose parents condemned
her to a lifetime of spelling "Dawne"!!)
Dawne

Two Dawne Petersons? Amazing. I could only imagine this happening in
the NYC area.

Did you ever think of dropping that 'e' - legally or otherwise?

Not nearly NYC--right here in lovely Regina. (and it turned out I had
taught the mother of the miscreant at the University!!)
No, wouldn't change my name, it was my Dad's one stab at being creative!!
Dawne

Old December 12th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/12/08 11:46 AM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

wrote
(my library card includes my first initial, which I try to avoid doing
because it is a first initial and not a middle initial and no form in the
world is designed for it etc etc, because there was another Dawne
Peterson
whom the library cut off from borrowing privileges. Imagine---not being
able to use the library!!! Imagine--someone else whose parents condemned
her to a lifetime of spelling "Dawne"!!)
Dawne

Two Dawne Petersons? Amazing. I could only imagine this happening in
the NYC area.

Did you ever think of dropping that 'e' - legally or otherwise?

Not nearly NYC--right here in lovely Regina. (and it turned out I had
taught the mother of the miscreant at the University!!)
No, wouldn't change my name, it was my Dad's one stab at being creative!!
Dawne

Could be worse - having a slightly unusual name, with a totally untypical
spelling has made for many interesting variations - and none the same as
mine. People always comment on the spelling, and I actually tell them the
truth - my mom found it in a diaper service booklet while still in the
hospital after I was born. We were stuck there for a couple of weeks - her
for sure that long, me almost as long (can you say penicillin poisoning
during the 56 hour labor and delivery). So, I was unnamed for 2 weeks as
they couldn't agree on a name, nor find one that met the naming conventions
for Jewish kids (as in my real names are my Hebrew names, then finding
English names w/ same meaning - not just similar sound, and being named for
someone not alive, etc). It does give folks a chuckle when I tell them "mom
found it in a diaper service booklet." The funny thing - mom's 1st cousin
had a child about 2 months later, and has the same name - but spelled more
typically as Cheryl's daughter - my mom was soooo angry I don't think she
spoke to her cousin for a while, and then never, ever got over being
annoyed.

Ellice

Old December 12th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"ellice" wrote
[...]

The thing that annoys me most about my spellling is the occasional phone
caller or store clerk who has misread it as DWAYNE!!! I am actually quite
rude to people who call me Dwayne, since I am quite sure I don't look like
any Dwayne I have ever met.

Dawne

Old December 12th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"ellice" wrote
[...]

One would think that Lucille wasn't a particularly difficult name to spell
but it's misspelled on my birth certificate. My mother, who was born in
Brooklyn so it wasn't a language problem, always said she was going to have
it changed to the correct spelling but she never did and now it certainly
doesn't seem important.