And time for

Old December 17th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Default OT Women and banks etc, was And time for

Jangchub wrote:
Does everything on the planet drop out of the sky on you?

Yes, it does. My disability lawyer, who has seen all the medical
records for herself, repeatedly says "you got screwed all around, and
now the judge is screwing you some more". Another lawyer, who reviewed
the file with an eye toward suing the doctors for malpractice, said
pretty much the same thing. So did a third lawyer, who was sorry that
his class action suit couldn't include me (my claim was not similar
enough to the others), because I'd gotten screwed by more people than
the Happy Hooker.

The doctors I've seen since getting away from the crackpots at the
medical center have repeatedly said stuff like "I hope I find something
so you can sue them for all they're worth" or "how in heck did they
expect you to get better if they weren't addressing this problem?"

These are people who have actually seen the records for themselves; you
haven't. Truth IS sometimes stranger than fiction.

According to this document, line item 7, inheritance is not part of
the community property.

UNLESS the inheritance has been commingled and treated like community
property prior to the divorce. Hence, the name on the account had to be
exactly as the lawyer dictated it to me, and I had to follow the rules
he gave me exactly, or it could be argued over.

In fact, every dime that had ever come into the household during the
marriage was questioned by XH's lawyer.
* She asked for a copy of the deed to the house and the title on the
inheritance bank account, and verified with other sources that both of
them had been in my name only from the very first day.
* There had been a small joint account used only for paying taxes and
depositing tax refunds (which the bank wouldn't let us process through
an account with only one name on it), and I had to turn up the proof
that the the account was closed out by writing a check to the IRS for
the full balance, for our final joint tax return.
* He'd gotten a small legal settlement (small enough that it was eaten
up by legal fees and costs) -- he led the lawyer to believe there were
more zeroes on the check than there were, and that I had "stolen" the
bulk of the money. Fortunately, I had a copies of the paperwork and the
outgoing checks, so I could prove he was lying about the amount of the
settlement and where the money disappeared to. (In fact, if he'd wanted
to argue the point, "his" settlement money was gone before we got the
last of the bills, so I could've argued that he owed me for the
lawsuit-related bills I paid from my paycheck instead of me owing him
money.)

Then that lawyer made it clear to him that because he had two Masters
degrees, he was not entitled to alimony because he had sufficient
education to be self-supporting, and he found some less ethical lawyer
who was willing to demand alimony just to harass me.

Again, the court records showing the case was re-opened to make that
frivolous alimony claim are there if you want to see them, and you're
welcome to order transcripts of the hearings to see for yourself how
many times he was caught in lies in his testimony. Including his first
lawyer testifying that he's lying about what she did and didn't tell
him, and the judge concurring that the lawyer's reputation for
thoroughness is well-known and she would have made absolutely sure he
was clear on that point, and the judge laughing off the claim that the
previous judge had allowed someone in the courtroom to physically
threaten him to make him sign the original papers against his will.

Unfortunately, the transcripts won't show the stunned look on his face
when he realizes that the judge has an official record of what happened
at previous hearings; it's not just he said/I said.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 12/14/08 - GMTA/Great Minds Think Alike (Bucilla)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old December 17th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arnhild

Unfortunately, the transcripts won't show the stunned look on his face
when he realizes that the judge has an official record of what happened
at previous hearings; it's not just he said/I said.

LOL, served him right from the sound of it!

Arnhild

Old December 18th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:33:53 -0500, MargW
opined:

A couple of years ago, after my mother's death, we went into the bank to
discuss investing my inheritance,(a sum around $200,000). We met with
the investment officer,(a woman) and got everything arranged in both
names. Putting the money in both names means if one of us passes away
there is less hassle with probate.

The first letter that came thanking us for our business, and doing the
blah, blah, anything we can do to help blah, blah, was addressed to the
DH alone, and spoke of his inheritance. Don't think I didn't call, and
tear a strip off the investment person. Now, I think it was just a
clerical error, but sheesh!

MargW

I wonder if anything similar happened to Jim (especially after Jill
died) or to Bruce or Fred ?

It just occurred to me, are we looking at plain old bank errors, or
are they slanted to sexist errors ?

Interesting situations in these posts.
My DW has her credit cards and I have mine. Charges and Credits *never*
mingle. LOL
The mortgage is in joint names.
My DW's business accounts are in her name only.
My business accounts are in my name only.
There are documents on file that stipulate that if one of us looses our
marbles or passes on the other party automatically has power of attorney.
Pension is split for tax purposes but DW has signing authority for my % as
long as we are together. I have no idea what comes in or goes out.

Fred

Old December 18th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default And time for

On 12/16/08 8:21 AM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:53:54 -0800, Karen C in California
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Three little accidents with multiple fatherrs who were flaky? She
should examine herr shortcomings, not blame men; flaky or otherwise.
When we have sex unprotected, and unprotected, we can get pregnant.
That is not an accident, that is a decision.
Victoria

There you go assuming the worst. People DO get pregnant while using
protection.

She is one of those people for whom the Pill is not foolproof. I know
her well enough that if she says she takes it at 7:00 every day, she
takes it at 7:00, not 7:01. (As opposed to someone else I know who got
pregnant on the Pill, where I suspect she only remembers to take it on
alternate Tuesdays.)

After the first one, she asked to have her tubes tied and they wouldn't
do it till she was 30. After the second one, she asked again, and they
wouldn't do it till she was 30. After the third one, the doctor
realized they couldn't wait till she was 30, and broke all the rules to
do it for her.

Typo, I meant to say protected and unprotected. It never happens
three times and you can stand on our head, spin plates on your feet,
while hula hooping with your arma and I won't believe three
pregnancies were accidents. They were decisions to have sex knowing
she could and usually does get pregnant. If that's thinking the
worst, oh well. The story is over the top.
Victoria

While this isn't a laughable situation, I will actually agree with Vic,
though not as strongly. Since most modern birth control is between 97% &
99% effective, it's hard to believe that someone who got pregnant once while
using contraception would not take measures to be sure it didn't happen
again. Statistically - each of these events is independent - and has the
same odds, but the odds against it happening 3 times are astronomical. IME
(including a SIL who supposedly was using a diaphragm when getting pregnant
the 1st time - though we all believe she forgot the spermicide, and probably
had punched a hole in it) people that have had this happen, extend their
precautions - doubling up the methods they use. The thought that someone
had 3 separate incidents of contact w/ super-sperm is a bit much - not
impossible, but..... Plus, there is that old basic - knowing essentially
when you're ovulating - and "resisting" . Some people are just happy to
take the risk. It's very odd that a doctor would refuse tubal ligation on a
patient who already has a child. That's a load about "breaking all the
rules" - there is a guidance about not doing irreverisible procedures on
women in young, child-bearing age, particularly if they haven't had
children. But, tubal ligations are done regularly on young women. There is
no "rule" that I've ever seen - though a particular doctor may have their
own standard.

Ellice

Old December 18th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/16/08 8:27 AM, "MargW" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 12/13/08 9:05 AM, "anne" wrote:

says...

Last week I read Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews, which I also
really liked, and it's also a murder mystery.
When I went to my library's online catalog to place a hold on the peacocks
book, some of her titles looked familiar. Since my memory is awful, I'll
just
reread it

On the shelf waiting to see what I get to first are three books by
authors I haven't read anything by yet; Sister Carol Anne O'Marie,
M.C.Beaton and ......Monica Ferris. (No, I really haven't read her
before.)
I like MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth series. BBC America had
run of Hamish MacBeth shows; does anyone know if Agatha was translated to
the
big or little screens?

I loved the Hamish MacBeth series. But, alas, even the rerun-reruns are
gone. I don't recall the Agatha Raisin ones being done, but I'm no
authority. Interesting that some of the actors from Hamish MacBeth then
became familiar on the bigger screen - namely Shirley Henderson (who was in
the Bridget Jones movies, and the first Harry Potter), and of course Robert
Carlyle - who has been in any number of films - good and bad.

I love Robert Carlyle in "The Full Monty", and he was one of the most
chilling villains I have even seen when he played a skinhead in a
"Cracker" episode.

You are so right!

I've kept up reading the HM series, but haven't started the Agatha Raisin
ones - but I may.

ellice

If these haven't been suggested, Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn and Chee
mysteries set in the four corners area. Wonderful mysteries with Navajo
and Hopi themes.

MargW

I like all his books. We used to see him pretty regularly when I lived in
Abq - he frequented the large, funky bookstore (pre-Borders). This dreary
weather is having me long for moving back to NM. But, I don't think DH is
into looking for work out there (he's been with the Navy a long time).

Ellice

Old December 18th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/16/08 1:33 PM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:01:12 -0500, "Margaret St. John"

On 2008-12-16, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:36:52 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

snip

Where is Brat, how is Cheryl, anyone else freezing?
Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.

Not sure if my posts have been going through, but Cheryl is still without
power
as are many others nearby. She's fine, and living at a hotel for now without
internt access. She may not get power back till early next week. I saw lots
of power company trucks from Canada at a hotel next to work this morning
hopefully one is headed her way, and thank you Canada for sendng them.
-Margaret

Oh good, at a hotel. Much better than freezing in the house. Still,
horrible. I hope they fix it soon.
Victoria

Yup - the silver lining of the hotel thing - at least they'll do the
cleaning up from the kids! I'm just getting ready to give her a call in a
little while - will post any news.

Ellice

Old December 18th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default OT Books was And time for

ellice wrote:
On 12/16/08 8:27 AM, "MargW" wrote:

If these haven't been suggested, Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn and Chee
mysteries set in the four corners area. Wonderful mysteries with Navajo
and Hopi themes.

MargW

I like all his books. We used to see him pretty regularly when I lived in
Abq - he frequented the large, funky bookstore (pre-Borders). This dreary
weather is having me long for moving back to NM. But, I don't think DH is
into looking for work out there (he's been with the Navy a long time).

Ellice

It is just a shame that Tony Hillerman died. When I first tried his
books, many years ago, I couldn't get into them at all. I guess the
settings and culture was totally alien to little Miss Brit.

However, after we had traveled around the Three Corners area and NM, I
became totally hooked on them all. I could well picture the terrain and
the people in them.

So sad when favorite authors die off!

BTW, I just finished an enthralling, but horrific, novel based on
historic fact. If you haven't read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid
Hosmaini (sp?) I do recommend it. It is set in Afghanistan over a three
decade period, ending around 2003 or so. It is the story of women and
their lives, such as they were, during the various eras of political and
religious turbulence.

I don't think I shall EVER forget this book.

Gillian

Old December 18th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Gillian Murray wrote:
ellice wrote:
On 12/16/08 8:27 AM, "MargW" wrote:

[...]

I started to read his books after we had been to the 4 corners for the
first time. When he talks about Ship Rock and Tuba City, my mind brings
up such vivid pictures. I want to go back and do more further south.

MargW
Old December 18th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arnhild

BTW, I just finished an enthralling, but horrific, novel based on
historic fact. If you haven't read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid
Hosmaini (sp?) I do recommend it. It is set in Afghanistan over a three
decade period, ending around 2003 or so. It is the story of women and
their lives, such as they were, during the various eras of political and
religious turbulence.

It's Khaled Hosseini, and he has also written The Kite Runner. I've
been working at the library where I am now for almost a year, and
still haven't been able to take it home and read it, because all four
copies we have of each book have been out and waitlisted the entire
time. The Kite Runner as book on tape (cd), has also been perpetually
checked out, and the movie is now missing. This has been popular!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, however, of which we only have one
copy, is on the shelf, and nobody is interested. I read my mothers
copy, and that's a book that will really stay with me. It takes place
in Germany during World War II.

Arnhild

Btw, is "waitlisted" an actual word, and can I use it the way that I
have?

Old December 18th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Arnhild wrote:

BTW, I just finished an enthralling, but horrific, novel based on
historic fact. If you haven't read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khalid
Hosmaini (sp?) I do recommend it. It is set in Afghanistan over a three
decade period, ending around 2003 or so. It is the story of women and
their lives, such as they were, during the various eras of political and
religious turbulence.

It's Khaled Hosseini, and he has also written The Kite Runner. I've
been working at the library where I am now for almost a year, and
still haven't been able to take it home and read it, because all four
copies we have of each book have been out and waitlisted the entire
time. The Kite Runner as book on tape (cd), has also been perpetually
checked out, and the movie is now missing. This has been popular!

Both of those Hosseini books appeared in the BBC's "Book at bedtime" on
BBC Radio 4 earlier this year. Quite different to anything else I'd
heard on that programme
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK