OT - Cat peeing...

Old August 22nd 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Cat peeing...

Hello folks,
About 2 days ago, I put reflective collars on Daisy and Poppy,
because I am having a roommate for 4 weeks and I'm afraid that one of
them will slip out the door when she is coming and going.
Well, I never knew how easy I had it when I had one cat. One of the
cats peed on my red backpack straight away. Then did it again
yesterday, along with peeing on a pile of my fresh laundry. I haven't
found it anywhere else, and I don't know which cat did it.
So how do I stop this behaviour? The cat seems to target things
that are obviously mine and smell like me. I really want to figure
this out before my roommate arrives on Monday. Just now they are
banned from being in my room or the living room unless I am home and
I'm with them.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 22nd 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FiederEls in NL

Johanna Gibson wrote in
:

Hello folks,
About 2 days ago, I put reflective collars on Daisy and Poppy,
because I am having a roommate for 4 weeks and I'm afraid that one of
them will slip out the door when she is coming and going.
Well, I never knew how easy I had it when I had one cat. One of

the
cats peed on my red backpack straight away. Then did it again
yesterday, along with peeing on a pile of my fresh laundry. I haven't
found it anywhere else, and I don't know which cat did it.
So how do I stop this behaviour? The cat seems to target things
that are obviously mine and smell like me. I really want to figure
this out before my roommate arrives on Monday. Just now they are
banned from being in my room or the living room unless I am home and
I'm with them.

-- Jo in Scotland

Jo.. i have 2 cats ( brothers )and they use to do that too when they were
younger..
They were in their "cat puberty" and stating their claim on the house and
by peeing over things that smelled like me or like the dog they were
trying to climb up in rank..after a while things settled and ranks were
clear and the peeing stopped..
Could this be what's happening in your house??

FiederEls.
Old August 22nd 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:28:04 +0000 (UTC), FiederEls in NL
wrote:

Johanna Gibson wrote in
:

[...]

Hmm. They are sisters, 17 months old, and I've had them for 2
months. All I know is, however much it irritates me to wash my bags
and laundry again, I do not want to irritate my guest! So...

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 22nd 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JPgirl

On Aug 22, 8:08 am, Johanna Gibson wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:28:04 +0000 (UTC), FiederEls in NL

wrote:
Johanna Gibson wrote in
:

[...]

-- Jo in Scotland- Hide quoted text -

My best friend (and roommate at the time) had something similar happen
with her cat (girl, that is her name) when our other friend moved out
with her cat and we thought that she might be lonely so we went to the
pound and got her a friend.
After 2 weeks with the new cat we had to take it back because Girl
started peeing and pooping on my friends bed!!!!
After wee took the cat back she stopped for a while but then
mysteriously started again a few months later for no reason at all.
She took her to the vet and put her on Kitty Prozac for a few months
and she never did it again.
You might want to take them to the vet because a urinary tract
infection or kidney infection can cause them to do that too.

Old August 22nd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I wonder if Feliway would have any effect, if this is a stress-induced
action?
..
In message , Johanna Gibson
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 22nd 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

My female adult cats did that when a change happened in our household a
number of years ago. (They targeted my computer keyboard). I never did find
the solution, other than to find them new homes. The vet said it was a
stress thing, and peeing was how they show their displeasure.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 22nd 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

cats peed on my red backpack straight away. Then did it again
yesterday, along with peeing on a pile of my fresh laundry. I haven't
found it anywhere else, and I don't know which cat did it.

If they're peeing (usually horizontal surface), it may indicate a cat
with a bladder infection or bladder stones; if they're spraying,
(which is usually onto a vertical surface)
it may be a territorial and/or behavioral issue.

First thing, imo, is to get the vet to check on the health issues,
and also to clean up any residual odors (try washing the laundry
again with borax; ditto the backpack).

If it's behavioral, it could be anything from stress to substrate
preferences. I'd suggest reading the old rec.pets.cats problem behavior
faq and considering some Feliway.

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml
http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm

Kay

Old August 22nd 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 05:59:28 +0100, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

Hello folks,
About 2 days ago, I put reflective collars on Daisy and Poppy,
because I am having a roommate for 4 weeks and I'm afraid that one of
them will slip out the door when she is coming and going.
Well, I never knew how easy I had it when I had one cat. One of the
cats peed on my red backpack straight away. Then did it again
yesterday, along with peeing on a pile of my fresh laundry. I haven't
found it anywhere else, and I don't know which cat did it.
So how do I stop this behaviour? The cat seems to target things
that are obviously mine and smell like me. I really want to figure
this out before my roommate arrives on Monday. Just now they are
banned from being in my room or the living room unless I am home and
I'm with them.

-- Jo in Scotland

Remove the collars.

If you have changed food or litter recently, go back to your old
brand.

Have the cats checked for urinary infections as a cat will start doing
that if it gets one.

Be sure to wash all the peed-on items with an enzyme cleanser to
remove all traces of urine, including the bits we humans can't detect
but the cats can. If they detect it, the behavior may never end.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 22nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Jo, quick... take both cats to the vet. This kind of peeing is very
often a symptom of urinary tract infection. It hurts to pee, so they
think it's the box. They look for something soft and comforting to pee
on and usually find a nice piece of clothing. It hurts again, so they
change pee spots again. Please take your kitties to the vet. It may
require a dietary change, too. They make food specifically to keep
kitties from getting UTI. My sister feeds it to her kitties all the
time.

Hope you get relief and so do they.

Sunny