muslin as backing

Old August 13th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default muslin as backing

it's a bit of a dim question, but do you think muslin is ok as the
backing for a wall hanging? it's small, 25 inches square.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 13th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:19:20 -0700, Anne Rogers
wrote:

it's a bit of a dim question, but do you think muslin is ok as the
backing for a wall hanging? it's small, 25 inches square.

Cheers
Anne

Sure it is. That is what I used for the backing on my Tropical fish
wall hanging. Three generations of my family have even used good
muslin for the backing on many bed quilts.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 13th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

Works great! BUT, be sure not to get the cheaper kind, 'cuz it shrinks a
BUNCH! (Our local TSWLTH has 36" wide (the shrinky kind!) and 45"-90"-120"
wide which work great.) I found this out when I used the cheapo stuff to
back my doggie placemats. It shrunk so much that the edges curled!
My 2 cents worth.

ME-Judy

Old August 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

And pre-wash the muslin. I've found that muslin (even the better stuff)
shrinks more than most other quilting fabric. I've used muslin a lot for
backing quilts of all sizes. I'm especially likely to use it on wall
hangings because no one ever sees the backs of those. Heck, I've even
used good quality muslin in quilt tops. It is also very nice for
hand-quilting.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 13th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Julia in MN wrote:
And pre-wash the muslin.

Thanks for the reminder, I must be being really dumb today, the top is
ready for basting and I was going to use the muslin straight out of the
bag and I did prewash the fabrics for the top!

silly silly me

off to put it in the machine, which means I can't get started on the
quilting :-(

Anne
Old August 13th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I use muslin as backing for a lot of my small wall hangings. (And larger
ones on occasion.G)
Don't see why there should be any problems.....

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 13th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

If you mean what we call Calico then of course you can.I use it all the
time!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Old August 13th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Estelle Gallagher wrote:
If you mean what we call Calico then of course you can.I use it all the
time!

yup, apparently what is called muslin in the US is calico in the UK and
in the US the word calico implies printed cotton, hence "quilter's
calico" and why there are several quilt stores with calico in the name.
Now the question is, what does one mean by muslin in the UK ('m a Brit,
but live in the US), what people in the US call burp cloths, I would
call "a muslin", but the fabric isn't the same, plus, muslin squares are
something you'd use in cooking for straining things, I never used one,
but looking at pictures, it looks very much like US muslin, not baby
muslins - but I wouldn't expect a British cooking term to originate in
the US given how distinct the words used in cooking are.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 13th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Pati C. wrote:

I use muslin as backing for a lot of my small wall hangings. (And larger
ones on occasion.G)
Don't see why there should be any problems.....

So do I ... I like using sold colors on the backs of my quilts 'cause
it lets the hand quilting show through better (IMHO).

'Sides, with muslin, you always know you have enough on hand to match a
quilt - since it's neutral!

I buy bolts of it at a time ... cheaper that way than to go and buy a
yard and then cut it up only to have muslin leftovers ... and I use it
for crazy quiltin'.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Hey, Patti ... did you get my e-mail? I sent it last night to the addy
in your headers ...

Anne Rogers wrote:
it's a bit of a dim question, but do you think muslin is ok as the
backing for a wall hanging? it's small, 25 inches square.

Cheers
Anne

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!

Buying Muslin mb from pa Quilting 19 September 6th 06 01:54 AM
Muslin by the Bolt Bobbie Sews Moore Quilting 20 April 11th 06 05:09 AM
Transferring pix to muslin squares Donna in Idaho Quilting 27 October 24th 04 08:38 PM
favorite "almost" muslin Sharon Harper Quilting 0 August 6th 04 10:14 AM
Who is the best manufacturer of muslin? QuiltShopHopper Quilting 7 April 14th 04 12:56 AM