Miiiiighty quiet

Old July 21st 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default Miiiiighty quiet

I told y'all what I'm up to - who's doing what?

Oh. A friend is pg, she's having a girl (two boys on the hoof
already) and she's asked me to make girly stuff. Ugh. Pink. I'll
force myself because I love my friend, but OH how I despise pink!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old July 21st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Wooly,

I've been quiet because I've been sick. I just found out I have Graves
Disease (a very treatable thyroid disorder). I've been going back and
forth to the doctor's, taking meds, etc. My family went on vacation
and I had to miss it. So, I've been sitting around, knitting, watching
TV, and eating. I'm making socks and am almost finished with the pair.
DH has the camera in New England, but when he gets home, I'll post
some pics.

Hesira

PS: The socks I'm making are dusty pink, but it's a really pretty
color. Make that child something blue, purple, green. It doesn't have
to be pink!

Old July 21st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

It is very quite here!

I am working on a counted thread embroidery piece that will be made into the
lid of a handmade basket (which I purchased). This will be a Christmas
gift. It is a pattern of a bunch of acorns in a circle with the alphabet as
an inner circle. Then there is another acorn doodad that is stitched and
tied on. The basket will be lined with a pretty fabric.

I'm still working on my NYCO.....stockinette in the round is pretty boring
and I do better with it if I am working on it in the car. Maybe I will take
it to work tomorrow afternoon and try to work on it there. Friday
afternoons are very slow.

I am also transferring a Dutch sampler to a computer program because my copy
is very, very worn and it will help me in reversing the patterns (from right
to left mirror images).

Also, I've been doing a lot of thinking on projects I want to do....an
embroidered pillow for a friend/co-worker who will turn 40 this
year....Kool-aid dyed yarn.....knitted hats....knitted scarf for DH....maybe
try my first pair of socks. The socks might be good to take along to Tacoma
(we leave in 10 days).

DH is driving in from Austin tonight and should be here in another half hour
or so. I guess I should throw another load of laundry into the washer and
fold the towels that just finished drying.

Happy stitching, everyone!

BonnieBlue

Old July 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Moon Shyne

You mention kool-aid dyed yarn, below.

My daughter perked up - can you give me a brief lesson in how you do that?

Moon

Old July 21st 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 20 Jul 2006 17:51:46 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Hi Wooly,

I've been quiet because I've been sick. I just found out I have Graves
Disease (a very treatable thyroid disorder).

I can identify with that. I started getting hyperthyroid about 18mo
ago, went from "elevated but not alarming" to "oh my god you're extra
toxic!" from February to April of this year; my antibodies skyrocketed
at the same time. I had to take PTU for a while, then I had two
rounds of radiation, earlier this week I had a couple of nodules
biopsied (results next week). The good news: I lost some weight. The
bad news: I lost my eyebrows, an alarming portion of my previously
abundant hair. The good news: my hair and eyebrows will grow back.
The bad news: I'll be hypothyroid within a year (or sooner) and I hear
that's just as bad as being hyperthyroid.

I've been going back and
forth to the doctor's, taking meds, etc. My family went on vacation
and I had to miss it.

Bummer you had to miss your vacation!

PS: The socks I'm making are dusty pink, but it's a really pretty
color. Make that child something blue, purple, green. It doesn't have
to be pink!

Oh I will, but my friend specifically asked for some pink stuff. I
have several hanks of pink J&S jumper wool in the stash, so I'll make
a baby surprise, a cap and some booties to satisfy the pink craving.
Then I can branch out. Girly doesn't always mean pink, especially
when I'm the knitter

+++++++++++++

Old July 21st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Wooly" wrote in message
I told y'all what I'm up to - who's doing what?

Oh. A friend is pg, she's having a girl (two boys on the hoof
already) and she's asked me to make girly stuff. Ugh. Pink. I'll
force myself because I love my friend, but OH how I despise pink!

I was thinking the same thing. (how quiet it is).

Years ago when my daughter was pg for the 3rd time and we found out it was a
girl (after she had 2 boys), I went crazy buying pink things. I'm not a
huge fan of pink either, but it's funny how your mind can go pink in that
situation (laugh).

I'm working on my 2nd incarnation of the Peacock Feathers Shawl, and cross
my fingers - this time it seems to be working ! I've been much more careful
about the stitch count, and I like the way it's working up in the multi-ply
cotton yarn. I still have a pair of socks for DH on the needles, a heavy
sweater for my granddaughter in Bernat Velour (this is AWFUL yarn), and
another shawl for myself that gets worked on occasionally.

The weather has been very warm and extremely dry. Our municipality has
issued a burning ban - no burning garbage, grass, etc. because everything is
like a tinderbox. I'm running around with watering cans every day watering
the hanging baskets, the tomato plants, blueberries and raspberries. Last
year our area had too much rain, this year we're crying for it. It's
starting to become a problem for the local farmers.

Shelagh

Old July 21st 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:29:29 GMT, "Moon Shyne"
spewed forth :

You mention kool-aid dyed yarn, below.

My daughter perked up - can you give me a brief lesson in how you do that?

Make up one packet of Koolade (or other powdered, unsugared drink mix)
in a cup of hot water. Dip one end of a hank of yarn in the cup and
hang the yarn so it'll hang in the cup until all the dye is absorbed.
Repeat ad naus until the entire hank is dyed. That's if you want a
"space-dyed" look. For same-color-all-over use several packets of the
same flavor, make them up in water adequate to cover the item and nuke
or cook on the stove until boiling, then allow to cool.

Done.

+++++++++++++

Old July 21st 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Wooly" wrote in message

The bad news: I'll be hypothyroid within a year (or sooner) and I hear
that's just as bad as being hyperthyroid.

Apparently I'm hypothyroid. Mine was diagnosed around 5 years when I was
working on losing weight - lost 30 lbs then couldn't lose any more. I
complained bitterly to the doctor that even though I was eating properly,
walking a mile a day 5 days a week - nothing was happening. He did the
blood test (without telling me), then called me up a few days later to tell
me about it. My sister told me our mom was hypothyroid too.

We horsed around for a few months getting the dosage for Synthroid right,
and I take one a day. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything.... I
haven't been overtired or had any of the other symptoms. (shrug). The
medication only costs around $6 a month. Just like any other disease, it
affects each person differently. I hope your symptoms are small and
manageable.

(Hesira said)
I've been going back and forth to the doctor's, taking meds, etc. My

family went on vacation and I had to miss it.

That's too bad...... I think I would have been bummed out missing a
vacation! Hope you're doing okay....

Shelagh

Old July 21st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Wooly,

I hope your biopsies come back negative. So far I don't have nodules
or cancer, just an enlarged thyroid and very elavated levels of its
hormone. Weirdly, my pituitary isn't making anything (zero count) and
they are going to try to figure out which came first, the thyroid or
pituitary.

I have a friend who also has Graves Disease, and she went through
everything you described, but she is now leveled out and keeps it in
check. I am scheduled to see an endocrinologist to figure out what
treatment I need. I'll probably end up with the radiation. I hadn't
thought about the hair loss. Mine is fine, and I can't afford to lose
much of it. Oh, well, I guess I'll take whatever comes my way.

I've also lost a lot of weight quickly. I'm happy about that, but it's
small consolation for the symptoms.

Yes, I'm sad about the vacation, but I'm actually beginning to enjoy my
alone time. They've been gone since Friday, and will get home this
Sunday.

I'm sure your pink baby surprize will be beautiful. Lucky girl. I
have a little neice I make girl stuff for. In this world of boys (they
are the majority in my family), I enjoy the occasional girlie project.

Hesira

Old July 21st 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Shillelagh,

I'm glad you don't feel the symptoms. Mine have been just awful for
about 4 weeks. I'm on meds to control the shakiness and freaky heart
rate. It helps but doesn't eradicate the symptoms completely.

I do miss my boys, but am getting used to solitude. This time alone
has allowed me to rest and try to feel better.

Hesira