thread count

Old August 21st 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default thread count

I was hoping someone had bought backing online and thus I'd be able to
piggy back and trust the quality - but so far, no luck.

So, can someone explain thread count to me, I really have no clue, I've
seen 320 count and 200 count.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 21st 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Not sure what your questions is.

The thread count is the number of fibers per inch in fabric. Generally, in
fabric (like for bed sheets) -- the higher the thread count -- the better
the product. The higher the thread count -- the finer the feel (aka
"hand"). Bed sheets usually start at around 180 thread count.

For quilting, however, (especially if you are truly HAND quilting), if you
go to high of a thread count -- getting that needle through the fabric will
make you crazy! (it will be VERY difficult to hand quilt)

Now if you are doing photo transfers -- especially of people/faces, the
higher the thread count the better resolution you will get on your images...
less "fuzzy" of a look. But again -- quilting through it will be more
difficult.

One of the reasons batiks are frequently more difficult to hand quilt is
because they are done on a higher thread count fabric.

Does that help? If not, please repost a more specific question.

Thanks...

--
Kate in MI

. ..

Old August 21st 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:17:02 -0400, "Kate G." wrote:

I think she is wondering what sort of thread count average quilting
cotton usually is. I am not sure but I think I read it is around 200?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 21st 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

It's the number of threads per square inch of fabric, with one big ol'
exception.

Short answer is you add the threads per inch in warp and weft, and
come up with a number. Eg: 70 threads warp + 70 threads weft = 140 count
sheeting.

Here's the however: you can count the number of plies of of the yarn
so 70 threads warp x 2 plies = 140 warp count + 60 single-ply weft yarns =
200 count.

Generally, the higher the thread count, the smoother the fabric. But to
get very high thread counts, the yarns have to be quite thin, and after a
while, there's diminishing returns -- very high thread counts tend to be
more fragile fabrics than medium thread counts.

There's also the matter of how closely the yarns are woven, and the
pattern of the weave. You can crowd up a number of yarns in a sateen
(satin) weave, and get a high thread count that way, compared to weaving
those same yarns in a tabby (plain) weave. But because the yarns in
satin weaves float over several other yarns, satin is not as strong a weave
as a plain weave. How tightly woven a fabric is also helps determine how
likely it is to pucker when sewn... very tight weaves tend to pucker
fairly easily, just because you're trying to jam in yet more thread when
there's just barely enough room for the base yarns.
\
Old August 21st 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

How very interesting Kay. Thank you for this info.
..
In message , Kay Lancaster
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 21st 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I think my question was, having found some backing fabric at 360 count
and some at 200 count, how much does that tell me about the quality and
whether it would be good enough for something that will get heavy use
and good enough to use for a small section to the piecing.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 21st 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
I think my question was, having found some backing fabric at 360 count and
some at 200 count, how much does that tell me about the quality and whether
it would be good enough for something that will get heavy use and good
enough to use for a small section to the piecing.

Thread count doesn't really tell you anything about the quality. Sheet
makers have trumpeted thread count as a mark of quality, but it isn't a
definitive guide -- I've had some 400 count sheets that didn't feel as nice
or last as long as some 200 count sheets. Similarly for quilting fabric
(which is usually in the 70-80 tpi range) -- thread count has been no
indication of quality.

Before you buy any of the higher count stuff for backing, test out how you
like quilting on it. I refuse to use it when customers bring it because the
quilting results are so variable. I have a feeling that well washed high
thread count stuff may be easier, but I don't generally feel like messing
with it.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 21st 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Don't forget weight as well.
A 200 hundred count fabric at 2 oz will be much more delicate than the
same count at 4 oz.
If you find a shop with good service that tells you both things
cherish them, for you can figure out a lot of what a fabric is
supposed to be with both numbers.

NightMist

On 21 Aug 2007 09:42:05 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

[...]

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Bloody Hell!!
I'm a sugar bowl!
Old August 21st 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Anne, I feel your pain. Some years ago, I ordered some 108" fabric from a
very nice online shop, seems like it was Keepsake. The fabric was so coarse
and shabby that I aged it a while and then sent it on to Jill. It seems
that you are going to have to order whatever is the least amount possible
(maybe ¼ or half yard) and inspect it. That will cost you a few dollars and
take maybe a week out of your schedule but would be well worth it in the
long run. Polly

et...

Old August 21st 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Thank you, Kay. I hope I can remember all of that. It certainly does
answer a lot that was puzzling my little head. Polly