Invisible thread (again - sorry)

Old November 14th 04, 03:19 AM
muse9

Default Invisible thread (again - sorry)

I am still new at quilting and have not yet tried out any invisible threads.
There are so many different colors in the two I Spy quilts I'm making that I
think this might be the best thread to use for machine quilting them. I
bought a spool of Sulky polyester monofilament invisible thread. The only
size available was "Fine .004". Is this size correct for machine quilting
or is it too fine? Are there any tricks to using this thread for machine
quilting? (lower tension, etc.?)

I know this subject has been discussed a lot before but I was still a bit
unsure about this. Thanks so much for any pointers.

Bonnie
(working on piecing the second I Spy - not yet quilted the first)

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

delete "removespam" to reply

Old November 14th 04, 08:53 AM
Patti

Hullo Bonnie
This is the 'thickness' I use. I haven't tried the Sulky, but that is
definitely a good make, so I'm sure it will be fine.
Funnily enough, I have never had any problem (other than threading the
needle and tying knots because you can hardly see the wretched stuff
g), so I don't know of any special measures to be taken. Someone here

will be sure to have all the info. on it, though.
..
In article , muse9
writes
I am still new at quilting and have not yet tried out any invisible threads.
There are so many different colors in the two I Spy quilts I'm making that I
think this might be the best thread to use for machine quilting them. I
bought a spool of Sulky polyester monofilament invisible thread. The only
size available was "Fine .004". Is this size correct for machine quilting
or is it too fine? Are there any tricks to using this thread for machine
quilting? (lower tension, etc.?)

I know this subject has been discussed a lot before but I was still a bit
unsure about this. Thanks so much for any pointers.

Bonnie
(working on piecing the second I Spy - not yet quilted the first)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 14th 04, 01:54 PM
Polly Esther

We've talked about the quirks and joys of invisible thread mighty thoroughly
quite recently so you already have a good base for trying it. However - by
all means do this. Make a sandwich of backing, the batting you plan to use
and some of the fabric that is used in your top. The sandwich needs to be
at least 12" square.
Practice on your sandwich and see if you have any problems or tinkering
to do. We're right here if you need us. All experts and very humble. Polly

Old November 14th 04, 08:57 PM
muse9

I know this was discussed a lot recently and I've read over those posts but
I was unsure about the size of the thread because it seems so thin.
Excellent suggestion to do a practice piece and I will do that. It helps me
more than you know just knowing that all of you are here when I get stuck!

Thanks Polly!
Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

hlink.net...

Old November 14th 04, 02:57 PM
Estelle Gallagher

I'm not keen on using any monofiliment thread on quilts intended for
children!! Someone somewhere told me it is not safe in case they get it in
their mouths!! Estelle

Old November 14th 04, 09:00 PM
muse9

Ohhh - I've not heard this - is the thread chemically treated or something?
I have read about possible problems with getting tiny fingers caught but
these quilts are not for babies and I hoped that would not be an issue.
However I am concerned if there is a problem if it goes in their mouth - I
don't think that would happen with my almost 3 year old DGS but you never
know.

Thanks for the warning - does anyone else know anything about this?

Bonnie

Old November 14th 04, 03:17 PM
Julia in MN

Sulky is the brand that was recommended when I took a machine quilting
class. I have used it quite a bit with good results. I do lower the
upper tension a bit. I use regular cotton sewing thread in the bobbin,
usually to match the backing.

You might also consider a variegated thread in colors that would blend
with your fabrics.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 14th 04, 05:06 PM
theys

I just saw the thread lady on Fons and Porter yesterday. She's from
Sulky and she says they have a new 40 wt variegated thread that has
shorter distances between color changes so it blends better, it looked
very nice and I'm gonna try it.
"Julia in MN" wrote in
message ...

Old November 14th 04, 09:05 PM
muse9

That sounds good too. You still get Fons and Porter? They took it off
here! : (

Bonnie

--

"theys" wrote in message
I just saw the thread lady on Fons and Porter yesterday. She's from
Sulky and she says they have a new 40 wt variegated thread that has
shorter distances between color changes so it blends better, it looked
very nice and I'm gonna try it.
"Julia in MN" wrote in
message ...
Sulky is the brand that was recommended when I took a machine

quilting
class. I have used it quite a bit with good results. I do lower the
upper tension a bit. I use regular cotton sewing thread in the

bobbin,
usually to match the backing.

You might also consider a variegated thread in colors that

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 01:58 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 07:21 PM
Invisible thread? DQLTS Quilting 20 October 31st 04 12:51 AM
Machines and thread question muse9 Quilting 69 October 1st 04 09:44 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM