New knitter needs help with gauge problem

Old September 17th 05, 04:36 AM
Starla Torres

Default New knitter needs help with gauge problem

I just started my first sweater. The pattern calls for a size 10 and 7
needles. I did my gauge swatch with the larger needles and I needed to
change to a size 8. But I only did the swatch for 2 inches, not the 4
inches called for in the pattern. So I figured that I would have to go down
to a size 6 for my ribbing. Well that didn't work. The bottom of the
sleeve shows that it is supposed to be 10 1/2 inches across and mine was
only 9. So I have changed my needles to a size 8 for the ribbing and that
seems to be correct. But then my larger size needles are an 8 also. Is
this OK, or does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go back and make the
swatch the complete 4 inches with the size 10 needles. I have frogged this
thing so many times I am getting really frustrated.

Old September 17th 05, 05:15 AM

Hi! I would go ahead and do the 4 inch swatches with the different
size needles, then measure each of them. Are you using a patterned
stitch? Ribbing or cables are going to measure smaller across than a
garter or stockinette stitch with the same number of stitches. Also,
are you keeping the same tension? Let us know how you do.
Marie and the cats-in the middle of an aran sweater

Old September 17th 05, 05:25 AM

Oooops, I meant to say *I'm* in the middle of knitting an aran
sweater and when I'm not working on it, the cats are in the middle of
it *sleeping* on it, for Pete's sake! (They sneak into my work basket
when I'm at work, LOVE that wool.
Marie and the cats

Old September 17th 05, 12:47 PM
Yarn Forward

Starla Torres wrote:
I just started my first sweater. The pattern calls for a size 10 and 7
needles. I did my gauge swatch with the larger needles and I needed to
change to a size 8. But I only did the swatch for 2 inches, not the 4
inches called for in the pattern. So I figured that I would have to go down
to a size 6 for my ribbing. Well that didn't work. The bottom of the
sleeve shows that it is supposed to be 10 1/2 inches across and mine was
only 9. So I have changed my needles to a size 8 for the ribbing and that
seems to be correct. But then my larger size needles are an 8 also. Is
this OK, or does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go back and make the
swatch the complete 4 inches with the size 10 needles. I have frogged this
thing so many times I am getting really frustrated.

We always advise doing a 6 inch square swatch, and then take it off the
needles, and measure the gauge in the centre over 4 inches. This gets
away from the edges which tend to curl up and are difficult to measure.

Roger.
Old September 17th 05, 03:29 PM

Starla,

You say this is your first sweater - have you done much other knitting?
If you are new to knitting, your gauge may change as you relax and get
further along in the sweater. You may want to knit a scarf or
something first to see if your
gauge changes. If you are not new to knitting, then a bigger swatch
would be
a good idea.

If your gauge did change, then using the same needles could work out
ok.

BB

Old September 17th 05, 04:15 PM

Hi Starla,

First welcome to the greatest group on the net. You have been given
some really good answers about the gauge. Come back and let us know how
it turned out.

Nora

Old September 17th 05, 04:36 PM
The Jonathan Lady

"Starla Torres" wrote in message
I just started my first sweater. The pattern calls for a size 10 and 7
needles. I did my gauge swatch with the larger needles and I needed to
change to a size 8. But I only did the swatch for 2 inches, not the 4
inches called for in the pattern. So I figured that I would have to go

down
to a size 6 for my ribbing. Well that didn't work. The bottom of the
sleeve shows that it is supposed to be 10 1/2 inches across and mine was
only 9. So I have changed my needles to a size 8 for the ribbing and that
seems to be correct. But then my larger size needles are an 8 also. Is
this OK, or does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go back and make

the
swatch the complete 4 inches with the size 10 needles. I have frogged

this
thing so many times I am getting really frustrated.

I would agree with the others that you should do a larger swatch and, as
Roger recommended, 6 inches will give you better results. It is fairly
common to "get gauge" with a different size than specified in the pattern so
it's OK if you still get the same results with the size 8. Ribbing is
usually done on a needle 2 sizes less although I have been satisfied with
just 1 size less. Depending on the style, it may be that the ribbing
doesn't need to be 10 1/2 inches. I often measure sweaters I've worn to
judge what measurement I'll want for a new sweater.

--
Jan in MN

Old September 17th 05, 05:30 PM
spinninglilac

Hi Starla
Welcome to this fantastic ng. Here you will find knittters and crafters who
between them have a huge wealth of knowledge. I would urg you to make a
swatch as described in your pattern, only then can you decide whether the
patterning needs a smaller or larger needle, this being the main part of the
pattern of course. you will then know whether to go up or down a size of
needle for the actual ribbing...
ORRRR
you could try using the needles rec and knitting a tiny bit tighter or
looser...

Do block and press your swatch too...this will give you the correct gauge..

Let us know how you get on......Cheers.....Cher

Old September 17th 05, 05:33 PM
spinninglilac

Hi
I've noticed over here (UK) that our patterns now give you the sizing say a
size 38inch bust/chest size, then along a bit it tells you what the actual
size of the garment will knit up to when finished ...usually a size
bigger.....so we never know whether to start by knitting the size
smaller.....lol

cheers......Cher...

"The Jonathan Lady" wrote in message

[...]

Solution to my Pattern Maker problem. F.James Cripwell Needlework 4 July 21st 05 06:24 PM
Kenmore problem Mira Sewing 4 May 26th 05 03:40 AM
Question: sewing chiffon problem [email protected] Sewing 1 May 19th 05 08:59 AM
Problem for a new knitter Hoku Beltz Yarn 24 October 11th 04 08:35 PM
Bit of a knitting pattern problem Jaime Yarn 23 November 10th 03 07:59 AM