OT-Credit Card processing info

Old January 25th 05, 02:16 AM
Armand Vine

Default OT-Credit Card processing info

I asked our web page guru about this as she has had a lot more experience
than I and this is what she says:

As far as credit card processing - it really depends on the amount of
business the people do. If business is less than $2,000 per month in
credit card transactions then ProPay is probably the best solution. They
can do orders over the internet and via phone.

If they do more than $2,000 per month then there are other options which
financially are more attractive - including a merchant account through
their local bank or with someone like http://www.merchantexpress.com/

Really it depends on how much they can afford to pay in fees and how much
business they will be doing, average sale prices, etc. - and then doing
the math to see how things fall out.

What I do is tell clients to run best and worst estimates and see how
things price out.

For example, If you made 200 sales and sold $15,000 worth of stock through
your website in a year the cost breakdown would be as follows:

2Checkout - $960
ProPay - $630
Merchant Express - $512
PayPal - $493

If you had 100 sales and sold $500 worth of stock it would breakdown like
this:

Merchant Express - $156
2Checkout - $118
ProPay - $87.50
PayPal - $43.50

I have priced out services - including ProPay and Merchant Express,local
Merchant accounts, and 2CO, etc. - and every time PayPal, in the end, is
the most cost effective unless you are doing really large sales numbers
via credit card.

Hope this helps.
Armand

--

http://www.dvinedzines.com

Old January 25th 05, 02:25 AM
CDC

Thanks for the comparative info - I've only sold w/PayPal so far and though
it's unlikely that I'll ever be in the big leagues, it's nice to see that
they are still pretty competitive. Can't beat the convenience.

- Cindy

--
Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn.
- Gore Vidal

Old January 25th 05, 02:40 AM
Lara

Thanks so much for that comparasion. Great information.

Lara

Check out my eBay auctions under user ID: lutrick
Or click on the link: http://snipurl.com/8fa3

Old January 25th 05, 03:06 AM
Karen Kreider

Thanks very much for the excellent comparisons, Armand!

If only there was a reasonable way to use Paypal at a show. sigh

KarenK
Old January 25th 05, 08:43 AM
Charlie

And if only you could make one off payments without signing up. I'm sure
they used to do this!

Charlie.

Old January 25th 05, 08:50 PM
Armand Vine

Maybe if enough people ask for the service they would begin taking CC
charges by phone. Sort of on the propay model. Surely they know of propay
and somewhere in their competitive hearts they can see an opportunity.
The charges would be more because of the humans needed to take the info, but
if they were reasonable I know we would use it.
Armand

Old January 30th 05, 06:58 AM
Kalera Stratton

IN the US, you can make credit card payments through Paypal without
having a Paypal account.

http://www.beadwife.com
Old February 22nd 05, 07:30 PM

If you own a business and are considering propay for your cc txn, then
this is for you.

I would strongly recommend to everyone that they DO NOT open an acct
with propay.

I have been trying to close my acct with them for over a month. Every
time I try to close it, I have been given a reason why I cannot close
it. ( i need to clear the active balance by sending this person an
email or that person)

Do not use them.

1. they don't have a phone. You can only contact them by email.
2. they are starting to charge huge fees starting next month. You can
do much better with a real merchant acct.
3. You have to give them $250 or more to hold in reserve with no
interest when you use the service.
4. When you close the acct, as I am trying to do, they hold on to the
reserve and then tell you cannot close the acct because money is in
reserve and then they charge you monthly fees because your acct is
inactive. Yet, you cannot use the acct because you are trying to
close it and it takes 6 mos to release the reserve funds. and you
cannot close it because money is in reserve. Does that make any sense?

DO NOT USE PROPAY! (http://www.propay.com)

Kammy

Old February 23rd 05, 04:42 AM
Kalera Stratton

Good advice!

I use authorize.net and have been very happy with them so far.

Credit Card Processing MoonFish Beads 4 January 13th 05 05:55 PM
AD: Ebay and Justbeads auctions E J Ralph Beads 222 December 6th 04 02:25 AM
Need credit card machine roxan Beads 1 August 5th 04 07:14 PM
Introduction & question Valerie Beads 60 March 20th 04 07:26 PM