OT...animals in my yard

Old July 22nd 05, 03:33 PM
Mary in Washington

Default OT...animals in my yard

Had to write and share with all the animal lovers in the group.
Yesterday I was watering my flowers that are in an old BBQ on my deck.
I looked down and 3 little green frogs were hanging on the side to keep
from getting drowned. They are cuties, bright green with a racing
sttipe across the eye and they have the loud voices. I had them in my
flower pots 2 years ago but not last year. Good to have them back.

Also, a beautiful doe has been hanging out in my yard most afternoons.
I could not figure out why she was not the least bit concerned about
me when I was out on the deck. She just laid in the cool grass not 10
feet from me. Yesterday afternoon, I stepped out on my deck and there
stood the most adorable fawn with his Mom. As I stood taking in the
site, a family of quail ran across the yard right past the deer. I have
2 bushes in the back that the deer just strip and I was going to take
them out. After this I am going to leave them.

Between the deer, frogs, hummers, purple finches, quail, gold finches,
raccons, possums and my brown whip tailed snake (lives under my deck
and eats slugs, I just have to say, "I love living here!!!"

Mary

OPPPPSSSS Forgot to mention my QI that is laying across my lap as I
type this. Don't want to leave her out. Inside animals are cool too.

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:00 PM
Betsy Ross

Is the guest room ready? We'll be there
soon. LOL. Sounds beautiful.

Old July 22nd 05, 05:00 PM
clancy

That's one thing I like about living just a little in the country - we have
lots of wildlife too .. deer, pheasants, foxes, rabbits, teeny toads (that
the cats don't bother at all) and all kinds of birds. Skunks too - my
darling dog got skunked twice since we moved here - groan It sure brings a
smile to your face when you see any of them trotting thru your yard.

Sharon (N.B.)

ups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 07:30 PM
Mary in Washington

As soon as my son leaves for his next gig for the cruise ship, the room
is ready Betsy!!!!!

Mary

Old July 22nd 05, 07:59 PM
Polly Esther

They let you forget they can travel 35 miles an hour. Usually, all you
see are nostrils and, a little farther up, two big eyes. Can't tell if
they're moving underwater or not. Now and then a fisherman will wade right
in and hope for a fine catfish on his line. The gators pay him no mind.
Fishermen are much like golfers who will play even when lightening is
threatening to strike. Not me.
I believe in gators and lightening. Harry-Polly

"clancy" wrote in message
That's one thing I like about living just a little in the country - we
have
lots of wildlife too .. deer, pheasants, foxes, rabbits, teeny toads (that
the cats don't bother at all) and all kinds of birds. Skunks too - my
darling dog got skunked twice since we moved here - groan It sure brings
smile to your face when you see any of them trotting thru your yard.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. ..........................

Old July 23rd 05, 02:45 AM
pami

You're very lucky...I've never ever seen a deer in my yard.
Pami

Old July 23rd 05, 01:02 PM
the black rose

pami wrote:

You're very lucky...I've never ever seen a deer in my yard.
Pami

You're lucky you haven't! Deer have a tendency to demolish flower and
vegetable gardens, and they'll come from miles away to destroy a
strawberry patch -- they'll nibble them right down to the roots.

And deer have a dark side. They've been documented running down and
eating birds, squirrels and other small animals when food gets scarce in
the winter, and scottish deer bite the heads and legs off seabird chicks
to get minerals that aren't available in the local vegetation. (If you
don't believe me: http://tinyurl.com/pqe8 .)

Rats with hooves, that's what they are.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old July 23rd 05, 01:44 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ooh, can I have a brown whip tailed snake? Do they survive cold winters? Do
they like icky red slugs?
Roberta in D

"Mary in Washington" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
(clipped) and my brown whip tailed snake (lives under my deck

Old July 23rd 05, 05:52 PM
Butterfly

When we were growing up we called them 'dinner'. Never cared for it then and
still don't now. Fortunately I never HAD to eat it. (Mom would just say
"More for me" food wasn't a 'fight/issue' when we were growing up...other
than Mom worrying to the Dr that I was soooooo skinny and he told her "wait
until she has 2 kids then come tell me that" I will never forget him saying
that to her---mustta been 10 or so at the time

Butterfly