OT - Prawn recipes?

Old July 25th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Prawn recipes?

Hello,
As some of you know, I do cooking and babysitting at my friend
Keiko's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She went shopping on Monday, and
bought prawns for me to use on Thursdays. Usually I can just go in
the kitchen, have a look at what she has, and come up with something.
I'm not used to cooking with prawns though.
I have every spice known to man, and thought I could do something
like a curry (not too spicy, the kids are 2 years 3 months). Or...?
Does anyone have a good recipe for prawns? These are the big ones,
that are grey and turn pink when they're cooked for 3 or 4 minutes in
a pan. Please help!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 25th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:00:12 +0100, Johanna Gibson
wrote:

Hello,
As some of you know, I do cooking and babysitting at my friend
Keiko's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She went shopping on Monday, and
bought prawns for me to use on Thursdays. Usually I can just go in
the kitchen, have a look at what she has, and come up with something.
I'm not used to cooking with prawns though.
I have every spice known to man, and thought I could do something
like a curry (not too spicy, the kids are 2 years 3 months). Or...?
Does anyone have a good recipe for prawns? These are the big ones,
that are grey and turn pink when they're cooked for 3 or 4 minutes in
a pan. Please help!

Nearly any recipe that calls for green shrimp will work for you.
I am given to understand that in the UK, the word prawn could mean
real prawns, or any number of varieties of shrimp, so I hesitate to
offer a specific prawn recipe. Genuine prawns tend to be richer in
flavor than the average shrimp.

With big ones you can do almost anything. I am rather fond of the
oriental recipes myself, but my preferences run to the extremely spicy
there. You could simply fry them up as you would fish, or saute them
with garlic in a little olive oil to make scampi. Big ones you can
butterfly and that might be easier for a toddler to eat.

Here is a simple recipe that I impressed a potential funding doner
with once:

http://www.1chinesefoodrecipes.com/c...n-foo-yung.php

Very simple, and the sort of thing children fancy IME. I cheated and
fried in plain vegetable oil because I was out of peanut oil.
I served it with a datamaki sauce, which is naught but a couple of
tablespoons of soy, a couple tablespoons of dashi (any complimentary
flavored stock will work) a tablespoon of brown sugar (muscavado is
fine), and a few drops of sesame oil (or a dab of peanut butter if you
haven't any sesame), all stirred together.
My kids would eat datamaki sauce on darn near anything. Ash likes to
dip flour tortillas in it.

Just make sure the mud stripe on you prawns is cut out.

NightMist
a vegetarian who has picked seafood as the lesser evil for certain
social situations
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old July 25th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:53:17 GMT, (NightMist)
wrote:

[...]

Looks good! Thanks! I've been making that soy sauce/sugar/sesame
oil/stock thing for ages, and just didn't know the name. One of my
secret weapons, especially with Oriental cuisine. I shall just make
sure that Keiko has 6 eggs on hand. Oh, and I might just go retreat
to the shed while I make this chicken soup that both cats think they
NEED.. .... RIGHT NOW.....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 25th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

On Jul 25, 11:00 am, Johanna Gibson wrote:
Hello,
As some of you know, I do cooking and babysitting at my friend
Keiko's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She went shopping on Monday, and
bought prawns for me to use on Thursdays. Usually I can just go in
the kitchen, have a look at what she has, and come up with something.
I'm not used to cooking with prawns though.
I have every spice known to man, and thought I could do something
like a curry (not too spicy, the kids are 2 years 3 months). Or...?
Does anyone have a good recipe for prawns? These are the big ones,
that are grey and turn pink when they're cooked for 3 or 4 minutes in
a pan. Please help!

-- Jo in Scotland

My DGD loves anything "Alfredo", I saute Shrimp (or chicken) in a
combo of butter and olive oil with a whole crushed clove of
garlic(optional), remove shrimp or chicken, add 1 c. heavy cream, 1/2
c. parmesean cheese, do not boil, add cooked pasta for young children
I would use bowties, or even smaller pasta like ditalini or orzo,
return shrimp or chicken to the mixture, Adjust salt and pepper,
carefully since Parm cheese can be salty....can sprinkle with chopped
parsley for color and/or add cooked carrots and peas.....
Mauvice in Cnetral Wi

Old July 25th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Nothing like a good low fat recipe Mauvice. LOL My dd really enjoys
anything alfredo too. It is good stuff. These days she has to eat
out to get alfredo. Your reipce sure sounds like good eats though!

Taria, my fat nazi personality coming out again.

Old July 25th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Jo, those sound lovely. I make a prawn curry that isn't too spicy.

Prawn Curry
peeled and de-veined raw prawns
chopped onions
Long green chilies, raw ones
Coconut milk
Curry spices to taste, I use one of several different curry powders,
depending on what we have on hand. You can also use a mixture of
Turmeric, chili powder, etc.
Chopped/minced garlic.

Sauté the chopped onion in oil. While it is cooking, cut the chilies in
half long ways. Remove the seeds and veins, and stem. Cut into 1-1 1/2"
pieces. (Removing the seeds and veins takes out most of the "heat" so
the remaining chili flavor is very mild. DO NOT use something like
jalapeños for this. you want fairly mild long peppers. Could probably
substitute bells and increase the curry powder a bit.)
When the onion is translucent add the spices, and chiles. Cook for about
a minute then add a can of unsweetened coconut milk and the prawns.
Simmer gently until the prawns are done and the sauce thickens a bit. If
your coconut milk is really thin, cook without the prawns until almost
ready then add the prawns.
Serve over rice, with chutney, peanuts, and such.

We love this dish, but don't often make it because of the cost of the
shrimp/prawns. G You also don't want to add too much spice because
you want the flavor of the prawns to come through, not be overwhelmed. BG

Just remember that the prawns need to cook slowly, so they don't get
rubbery. and don't over cook them either.

Another good dish is Scampi, sauté the shrimp in a garlic, olive oil,
butter, mixture. (I add finely chopped onion to it too.) Add a bit of
lemon/lime juice. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juice. G

Have fun,
sounds like a great "job" to have, BTW. BG

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old July 25th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:53:29 GMT, Pati Cook
wrote:

Jo, those sound lovely. I make a prawn curry that isn't too spicy.

Prawn Curry
peeled and de-veined raw prawns
chopped onions
Long green chilies, raw ones
Coconut milk
Curry spices to taste, I use one of several different curry powders,
depending on what we have on hand. You can also use a mixture of
Turmeric, chili powder, etc.
Chopped/minced garlic.

Sautй the chopped onion in oil. While it is cooking, cut the chilies in
[...]

Another good dish is Scampi, sautй the shrimp in a garlic, olive oil,
butter, mixture. (I add finely chopped onion to it too.) Add a bit of
lemon/lime juice. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juice. G

Have fun,
sounds like a great "job" to have, BTW. BG

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

It is a good job... the babies love me. As of July 20th, I've been
helping for a year now. I think the triplets cannot remember "before
Jo". It's like I've always been in their universe. They completely
take me for granted as a result. They are more like nephews and a
niece than my friend's kids. I don't know how much I'll be able to
help this coming year, when I'm doing the Diploma course, but I will
try to pop round to play with them even so... I don't want them to
forget all their English!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 26th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Johanna Gibson wrote:

Hello,
As some of you know, I do cooking and babysitting at my friend
Keiko's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She went shopping on Monday, and
bought prawns for me to use on Thursdays. Usually I can just go in
the kitchen, have a look at what she has, and come up with something.
I'm not used to cooking with prawns though.
I have every spice known to man, and thought I could do something
like a curry (not too spicy, the kids are 2 years 3 months). Or...?
Does anyone have a good recipe for prawns? These are the big ones,
that are grey and turn pink when they're cooked for 3 or 4 minutes in
a pan. Please help!

-- Jo in Scotland

Are they used to curry? Children can be very conservative in their
tastes. Just sauted and eaten as finger food would be fun, or put in a
creamy sauce and poured over pasta.

You can tell I have had a past full of fussy children, including one
visitor who would only eat baked beans if they were Heinz and nephew's
children who ate only fish fingers or sausages. Mine were pretty good
except for DS and vegetables, and DD when she went vegetarian and I had
to ready hundreds of labels. She has recently returned to vegetarianism
after a 15 year break, but at least she cooks for herself now!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old July 26th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:28:16 +0100, Sally Swindells
wrote:

Are they used to curry? Children can be very conservative in their
tastes. Just sauted and eaten as finger food would be fun, or put in a
creamy sauce and poured over pasta.

You can tell I have had a past full of fussy children, including one
visitor who would only eat baked beans if they were Heinz and nephew's
children who ate only fish fingers or sausages. Mine were pretty good
except for DS and vegetables, and DD when she went vegetarian and I had
to ready hundreds of labels. She has recently returned to vegetarianism
after a 15 year break, but at least she cooks for herself now!

I make korma on a regular basis - a bit more creamy for them than
for the adults - and they have the Japanese version of curry quite
often for lunch. It is quite mild too - it seems to be a bit of cumin
and a bit of paprika basically, in a slightly tomato flavoured sauce.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 26th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

wrote:

[...]

Sounds yummy - can I come too.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

recipes Red Deer Pottery 1 March 21st 07 02:40 PM
recipes Idahoqltr Quilting 4 March 2nd 06 05:22 PM
OT Recipes NightMist Quilting 5 October 3rd 05 09:15 AM
OT - Atkins recipes? Laura Bartl Quilting 4 October 13th 03 08:05 PM