OT Not Quite According to Plan

Old September 14th 15, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default OT Not Quite According to Plan

First off, I'm coming in from google because I've been having fits with software upgrades and I am not installing or reinstalling anything again until I am sure my system is stable.

Second off, New fur baby!
I had been thinking that sometime after Christmas I would think about getting a new cat.
That plan was thrown to the four winds when the Humane Society got overcrowded and decided to have two weeks offering free cats and $50 dogs who were more than 6 months old.
So last month when they did this my daughter and her boyfriend took me over to see who was there.
Going in I was thinking I would get me a little girl cat, probably a black one since they usually have a lot of those.
As I was going through the colony room giving out petting and ear scritchies to see who fancied me, somebody grabbed hold of my arm with both front paws and held fast.
He wanted all the lovings.
He was in kind of rough shape. Missing some teeth in his dental comb, looked to be blind in one eye, his coat was a dried out mess, his paw pads were dry and rough, and his claws were such that they were just a tiny fraction away from his back foot being bounty eligible. Come to find out it was his first day in the colony room as he had spent the last month in the medical care and convalescent rooms. His bad eye had had an ulcer and they had had to do third eyelid surgery.
So apparently what we had here was a big old alley cat that just loved me to pieces.
So I brought home 12 pounds of underfed tomcat (technically a gib, since they do not allow unaltered animals out the door).
They called him Herbert, we renamed him Jericho.
He is a colorpoint shorthair, lynx point. That is tabby point in some parts of the world, or white tiger more generically. All that means is a siamese cat got together with a tabby cat and produced an offspring that looks like a siamese only the points are tabby.
He is supposed to be some 3-4 years old, but he has feet like dinner plates so I wonder if he will grow more. He has already packed on a fair bit of muscle.

We took him to the vet first thing. Normally I would have waited a month or so for him to settle in, but I particularly wanted that eye looked at, as well as his teeth.
We brought home some opthalmic ointment to try to reduce the scar tissue in his eye, and the assurance that while he is missing some teeth he has none that are broken or appear to be infected. The ointment did reduce the scarring, though he will never have perfect depth perception. Boy does the male half of our vet couple like this banged up boy of ours! He could not stop grinning at him, and I have never seen the man so happy around one of our cats before.

Jericho was afraid of everything at first. Jiji who is naught but a ball of fluff scared the dickens out of him, and it took weeks for him to quit running for his hidey hole every time a male person walked into the room. Now he has grown bold and begs everyone equally at the supper table. There are some stray cat habits we are going to have to work on breaking. He seems to think that bread is the finest cat food ever invented by man, and will try to snatch a bite right out of your hand. Any time cellophane crinkles he comes running, I think he finds electronics the most disappointing, but potato chips seem to be as interesting as bread.
He has taught my DH to always put the bread back in the breadbox. Something I have not managed to do in almost 35 years! It only took finding half eaten onion buns and scraps of bread bag scattered in a line from the kitchen through the living room but once, and now I can count on the bread always being where it goes. If I had known that that was all it would take I would have tried the trick myself some 30 years ago! Maybe if I scatter tools across the floor and blame the cat...?

DD3 is saying she is going to get some pictures.

NightMist
Old September 14th 15, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

What a lovely story, NM. Good for you for having faith in him.
Have lots of years of fun now. Has he got his voice yet? g Even if
he is only half Siamese, I bet he can talk!

Pat on the green
..

Old September 14th 15, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

What a great story! How cool to have a rescue with such personality.
We look forward to hearing more about Jericho and his antics.

Ginger in CA
[real reply email is , but I cannot get it figured out to set for google groups!]

Old September 14th 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 3:11:42 AM UTC-4, pat on the green wrote:
What a lovely story, NM. Good for you for having faith in him.
Have lots of years of fun now. Has he got his voice yet? g Even if
he is only half Siamese, I bet he can talk!

Oh he can talk all right!
We had about 10 days of silence from him.
Then he started up with little querying meows, and progressed from there.
Now he is yodeling and chittering as much as any purebred.

As he becomes more curious I am keeping a bit of an eye on him.
We have an old fashioned rocking chair, a rocking horse an adult can ride, and a 16 year old boy who loves to rock. Jericho is the epitome of a long tailed tomcat, his tail is as long as all the rest of him and then some. The first time he let loose with one of those patented Siamese yowls I was sure he had been rocked on! but no, he was just singing.

Currently he has been trying to get me to "fix" the window. It had been open since he got here, and "smell'o'vision" has been a favorite pastime. Well it got down into the 50's (F) so we closed it. He has been standing up and patting the glass, even thumping the fan a good one now and again, and coming to try and explain to me that the air in his favorite sitty spot has gone all solid and he can't get up there anymore.

NightMist
Old September 16th 15, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

What a lovely rescue story

Dee
Old September 16th 15, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 14/09/15 19:10, Night Mist wrote:
[...]

Oh I love siamese cats, we had a cross with a burmese and she "talked"
to us all the time. I love chatty cats

Janner
France
Old September 17th 15, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I loved reading about your new pal. He sounds like a lot of fun. He is
lucky to have found you all. Can't wait to hear more of
his antics.
Taria

---

Old October 2nd 15, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello NightMist,
So glad you took in this cat that probably no one else would take. He probably sensed you were a good person whom would take good care of him. Spirit works in amazing ways. You have a heart of gold.
Sandy$

Here is my story:
I had lost a cat(passed away at the age of 17) and a few months later had a dream that I would find my cat again. The dog catcher stopped at my house as I had just moved in with my dog and 2 cats. He told me that my dog needed a license in our town and so had to go to the Humane Society to get it, which I did and while there had the urge to see the cats. I looked at all the cats but this one kitten attracted my attention. She acted like she knew me, trying get to me through the cage, so I brought her home with me. My other cat had one space on my bed where it would sleep, well that night guess where my new cat slept, yes, right in the same spot as the cat that passed away. Even cats get reincarnated. So the dream did come true. This new cat had the same personality, habits and etc. as the one that passed.

Moved on to Plan B Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 5 January 8th 12 01:42 AM
OT - Changes in plan Alice in PA[_3_] Quilting 17 November 24th 10 07:29 PM
Well the plan was Cheryl Isaak Needlework 34 February 22nd 10 08:44 PM
Plan B Mika Quilting 6 July 15th 07 04:27 PM
My secret plan Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 October 15th 03 11:41 AM