A necklace I am proud of :)

Old January 12th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default A necklace I am proud of :)

I have taken up making jewellery recently and have done a couple of
pieces, but the one I created last night I am very proud of. It took
about 5 hours, mainly because I was doing some joins I hadn't done
before and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I would appreciate
it if any body would give me an opinion on what they think!

Please see it at:
http://airraid.mancubus.net/flic/pic...y_necklace.jpg

Thank you!

Flic

PS. I know I have to think of better names for the pieces!

Old January 12th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Flic wrote:
I have taken up making jewellery recently and have done a couple of
pieces, but the one I created last night I am very proud of. It took
about 5 hours, mainly because I was doing some joins I hadn't done
before and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I would appreciate
it if any body would give me an opinion on what they think!

Please see it at:
http://airraid.mancubus.net/flic/pic...y_necklace.jpg

Thank you!

Flic

PS. I know I have to think of better names for the pieces!

I think I'm going to hang myself now, or maybe I'll just quietly slit my
wrists.

Oh no, I can't do that today, I have to make 60 chocolate covered
profiteroles for the school potluck tomorrow night.

Oh well, I'll kill myself the day after tomorrow over this "pretty
necklace" ****.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 12th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

I think I'm going to hang myself now, or maybe I'll just quietly slit my
wrists.

Oh no, I can't do that today, I have to make 60 chocolate covered
profiteroles for the school potluck tomorrow night.

Oh well, I'll kill myself the day after tomorrow over this "pretty
necklace" ****.

Sheesh.

Get off your high horse, will ya? It's better than that, not deserving of such
scorn and derision and you should know it.

1. She's not representing herself as a trained fine artist, trained jeweler, or
much of anything else like that. She's a hobbyist enjoying putting some things
together for her own enjoyment. Starting just from scratch, without other
training and no actual intention of doing this as some major career path,does
this not count as an enjoyable and valid thing to do? I have a sister inlaw
who sews. Pretty well. Her quilts are wonderful. But she's also made ordinary
stuff, including for me one year, a bathrobe of micro fleece. ****ty as a bath
robe, because the micro fleece won't absorb water to dry you off after the
shower. But instead, it's a very warm house coat for those chilly evenings.
Powder blue may not be my best color, but I like the thing, and it's maker did
it with the best of intentions. So I don't kill myself over the lack of a major
fashion label in this bathrobe of mine. And you shouldn't kill yourself because
some eager beginner produces a reasonably basic but decently enough made wire
wrap and bead necklace. yeah, it's not great art. But I'm sure she likes the
look when she wears it, and I'm sure her friends agree. I've seen stuffI'd
consider a whole heck of a lot worse get actually sold commercially.

2. it's a darn sight better than "paint by numbers" level stuff or a kitbuilt
from instructions. It may not be earth shaking, art world turning,
revolutionary design, but at least she's not just following some printed
instructions found somewhere. or at least I don't think she is, or at least,
not totally... or I dunno... Still it's a lot better than some I've seen.

3. it's usable, and though not fine art, as decorative as any of the
commercially made similar costume pieces with which many ordinary people are
quite happy to decorate themselves. it's a lot more decorative and useful than
the kitschy beaded teddy bears someone else posted. Those, arguably, arenot
even jewelry. This most certainly is.

4. The posting links to a plain jpeg image on an otherwise plain page, just as
I've repeatedly asked posters to do. it does not link to some commercialor
semi commercial page on a yahoo group or something. Surely this following of
the group rules should be worth at least *Some* brownie points... And remember,
nothing in the group's charter or history suggests it's only for seasonedpros.
Beginners at any level have always been welcome along with the professionals and
anyone in between.

And to Flic:

Don't pay attention to Abrasha. he often seems to criticize beginners who come
along hoping for approval or help but who's skills and training, both
technically and aesthetically, don't seem to meet the high standards he sets for
himself. Especially when that beginner is working with really basic methods
like beads on wire, etc. He's well known on usenet for this attitude, which
can be difficult to comprehend for those who actually know him, since in person,
he's actually a really nice and generally polite fellow, not to mention atop
notch jewelry artist, and one of the finer craftsmen I've ever met. It's kind
of a keyboard version of road rage, I think. He'll disagree perhaps, butmy
point is, don't let him scare you away or discourage you.

Yeah, your necklace won't win great awards as highly original art, but that
should surprise nobody, least of all you, given that you're new at this. The
bit with double strands or more, or tassels in the middle, etc etc, have all
been done by other artists many times, for millennia. But that doesn't mean it
doesn't still look nice, because it did millennia ago, and still does now. The
color appears good on you, and you've not chosen a combination of colors that
clash or something. So I'd overall agree with you that you did a nice job. Now,
if I were doing it, I'd probably use actual gemstones, not glass beads. And my
loops would be smaller and neater, and soldered shut or something, or I'dcome
up with some sort of much less visible joint or unusual mechanism design for the
linkages. And of course, when done, there would be a few more zeros in the
price. So it goes. There are many such technical and design possibilities,
many of which are within your capabilities even with limited tools and
equipment. But no matter. You've got time. Keep experimenting, one step at a
time. And don't let the bad mouthed folks get you down. Get some good books
on jewelry making and metal work. You can get some good ideas for some more
complex constructions that won't be so similar to everything other peoplehave
done. At the beginning, it's OK to mostly learn how to make your own versions
of things others have done. But as quickly as you can, try to work out your own
methods, so you're not just copying other peoples ideas you've seen. (I'm not
saying you did this here, at least not intentionally. Just saying you should
make an effort NOT to just do one yourself when you see something you like from
someone else.)

Peter Rowe

who's indubitably stepping in something squishy with this post.
No matter. With the rain we've had here in Seattle since Christmas, soft
squishy ground seems the norm. And this time of year is slow enough I'vegot
the time for some good entertaining yet silly discussions.

And to all. remember, personal attacks and flame wars are not allowed.
attacking ideas, or jewelry, is fine.
Old January 12th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

[[long quote of mostly my post, trimmed for clarity... PWR]]

And to all. remember, personal attacks and flame wars are not allowed.
attacking ideas, or jewelry, is fine.

I give him credit for not pimping his website that time.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old January 12th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

wrote:

I think I'm going to hang myself now, or maybe I'll just quietly slit my
wrists.

Oh no, I can't do that today, I have to make 60 chocolate covered
profiteroles for the school potluck tomorrow night.

Oh well, I'll kill myself the day after tomorrow over this "pretty
necklace" ****.

Sheesh.

Get off your high horse, will ya?

You right, my bad!

Will just make small incision in earlobe for a little bloodletting.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 12th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

wrote:

I think I'm going to hang myself now, or maybe I'll just quietly slit my
wrists.

Oh no, I can't do that today, I have to make 60 chocolate covered
profiteroles for the school potluck tomorrow night.

Oh well, I'll kill myself the day after tomorrow over this "pretty
necklace" ****.

Sheesh.

Get off your high horse, will ya?

You right, my bad!

Will just make small incision in earlobe for a little bloodletting.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

No doubt this will inspire a new earring design... :-)

Peter
Old January 12th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

wrote:

[[long quote of mostly my post, trimmed for clarity... PWR]]

And to all. remember, personal attacks and flame wars are not allowed.
attacking ideas, or jewelry, is fine.

I give him credit for not pimping his website that time.

Carl

OK, but do remember that what Abrasha does, including his site's URL in avery
short sig file at the end of on topic postings, or using his site to hosta
picture of something illustrative of a point being made in his posting, has
always been totally acceptable in any case.

Peter
Old January 13th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:35:01 GMT, "Flic" wrote:

I have taken up making jewellery recently and have done a couple of
pieces, but the one I created last night I am very proud of. It took
about 5 hours, mainly because I was doing some joins I hadn't done
before and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I would appreciate
it if any body would give me an opinion on what they think!

Please see it at:
http://airraid.mancubus.net/flic/pic...y_necklace.jpg

It's very pretty, but you'd get better response on rec.crafts.beads.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjlayman

Old January 13th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message

It's very pretty, but you'd get better response on rec.crafts.beads.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjlayman

I thought that it was pretty too, and that Flic was justified in being
pleased with it. I hope that she will be even more pleased with her next
piece.
Would it have been more acceptable to this group if it had been made of
precious metal and natural gemstone beads?
What determines if an item is jewellery or not?
It is very easy to be snobbish about other peoples efforts, but perhaps
Marilee J. Layman was commenting on other readers reactions.

Regards
Ben Smith

Old January 14th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:16:22 GMT, "Ben Smith"
wrote:

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in message
.. .

It's very pretty, but you'd get better response on rec.crafts.beads.

I thought that it was pretty too, and that Flic was justified in being
pleased with it. I hope that she will be even more pleased with her next
piece.
Would it have been more acceptable to this group if it had been made of
precious metal and natural gemstone beads?
What determines if an item is jewellery or not?
It is very easy to be snobbish about other peoples efforts, but perhaps
Marilee J. Layman was commenting on other readers reactions.

shrug I'm primarily a beadweaver these days, but I read this
newsgroup because I used to be an engineer and I'm interested in
techniques, even though the doctor will never let me do that kind of
thing again.