Purling With Yarn In The Back

Old August 14th 03, 05:08 AM
jess

Default Purling With Yarn In The Back

I came across this link last night:

http://www.knittinggeek.com/howto/norwegianpurl.htm

It explains something called "Norwegian Purl" where you always keep
the yarn to the back. This sounds fantastic to me, because as a
beginning knitter I've only just got the hang of purling and had been
dreading constantly switching the position of the yarn when doing
something like seed stitch. The instructions on the website sound
clear enough, but I spent quite a while last night unsuccessfully
trying to follow along with yarn and needle (and I do knit Continental
style as the directions state). Does anyone purl this way? Or know
what else this method might be called--I tried a Google search on
"Norwegian Purl" and other similar variations, but nothing came up
except the above site. I was hoping to turn up a website with
step-by-step pictures to clarify. It just seems like this would be a
much easier way to purl!
Old August 14th 03, 07:29 AM
Elizabeth Bonello

"jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I couldn't picture it either. Does this look like what is being described
(it did to me)?

http://www.dnt-inc.com/barhtmls/knit/pb.html

I am going to get some scrap yarn with which to practice. I have trouble
purling Continental-style, although I have no trouble with doing it
English-style.

HTH!
--
"Many of life's failures are a result of people who did not realize how
close they were to success when they gave up."

-Thomas Edison

Old August 14th 03, 02:01 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

Okay, I just went there and tried it. Took a few tries to get it right,
but it does work. It's just a lot more movement than the finger flick I
normally do to purl continental with the yarn in front. I would probably
only resort to it, if I had my left forefinger immobilized for some reason!

Still, it's quite interesting and thanks for posting it!

| On 13 Aug 2003 21:08:25 -0700, (jess) wrote:

I came across this link last night:

http://www.knittinggeek.com/howto/norwegianpurl.htm

It explains something called "Norwegian Purl" where you always keep
the yarn to the back. This sounds fantastic to me, because as a
beginning knitter I've only just got the hang of purling and had been
dreading constantly switching the position of the yarn when doing
something like seed stitch. The instructions on the website sound
clear enough, but I spent quite a while last night unsuccessfully
trying to follow along with yarn and needle (and I do knit Continental
style as the directions state). Does anyone purl this way? Or know
what else this method might be called--I tried a Google search on
"Norwegian Purl" and other similar variations, but nothing came up
except the above site. I was hoping to turn up a website with
step-by-step pictures to clarify. It just seems like this would be a
much easier way to purl!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old August 14th 03, 03:55 PM
Lucille

I tried it too. Yes it does work but I personally don't think it's worth
the effort. That may be because I'm comfortable with knitting and purling.
I think if you keep practicing it'll get more comfortable for you too.
Lucille

Old August 14th 03, 06:45 PM
Gloxia

"jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The whole of Scandinavia knit in a different way and most of Europe too
....,Uk and USA use the same method ...

Back of the work Alison in OH Needlework 5 November 29th 04 07:08 PM
ISO Yarn Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 September 25th 04 02:19 PM
Fun Fur, Sock Yarn, Cottons, Other Yarn for Sale ellbee Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:12 PM
stinky yarn Laurie Yarn 54 August 15th 03 04:12 PM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM