straight cut on saw

Old September 27th 04, 09:19 AM
Abrasha

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote:

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:14:46 GMT, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jack Schmidling
wrote:

As a starting point, I melted some silver and poured it into a shallow sand
mold thinking that I could pound it into sheet metal but gave up in disgust.

You can do that. But it's a LOT of work. Before the invention of rolling mills,
this is how it was done.

Well, guess what? I found a near complete copy of the Encyclopedia of Diderot
and d'Alembert right here in Walnut Creek, a few miles East of San Francisco.
Practically next door.

37 volumes. A second edition of 28 volumes (11 volumes of plates, 17 volumes of
text), printed in Luca Italy in French 1758-1776, plus four volume text
supplement (lacks plate volume) printed in Amsterdam ,in French 1776 -1777

Price $ 55,000.00 US Dollars

Isn't the Net great?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 27th 04, 04:12 PM
Jack Schmidling

"Abrasha"

Besides, it is not I who call my work ART. I do not call myself an

artist.
That is more or less a title that has been bestowed on me....

But the real point is that I don't call myself an artist either or even
craftsman in this craft. I am simply trying to learn something about it.
Therefore you have no right to criticize or ridicule my efforts as I make no
claim for them. Feel free to critique or tell me what is wrong but ridicule
indicates a problem somewhere else.

My favorite is our local Anchor Steam Beer. I can see the brewery from my
living room, down the hill here on Potrero Hill in San Francisco....

This is a real ice breaker. We brew from March to Oktoberfest and when the
home brew is depleted we buy Anchor to get us through the winter. It is a
pleasant change from our Munich style beers and one of the few good beers
available out here by the keg.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Old September 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Abrasha

Jack Schmidling wrote:

My favorite is our local Anchor Steam Beer. I can see the brewery from my
living room, down the hill here on Potrero Hill in San Francisco....

This is a real ice breaker. We brew from March to Oktoberfest and when the
home brew is depleted we buy Anchor to get us through the winter. It is a
pleasant change from our Munich style beers and one of the few good beers
available out here by the keg.

js

Are you familiar with their "Old Foghorn Ale", "Liberty Ale", anbd "Christmas
Ales" varieties?

Did you know they also make wiskey
(http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_u...distilling.htm), and wine
(http://www.yorkcreek.com/)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Abrasha

Jack Schmidling wrote:

This is a real ice breaker. We brew from March to Oktoberfest and when the
home brew is depleted we buy Anchor to get us through the winter. It is a
pleasant change from our Munich style beers and one of the few good beers
available out here by the keg.

js

Some potentially bad news regarding Anchor Brewing Co. in today's San Francisco
Chronicle.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg....DTL&type=news

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Carol

Ok, I've lurked long enough. Time to jump in head first.

You know, Abrasha, what you need to realize and remember is that not all of
us are looking to "master" this craft that we all so enjoy. Some of us are
doing it for a hobby and for the the pleasure we derive both in the doing
and in the giving or selling of the end products.

I've been to your site. Frankly, I do not find your work appealing -- which
I know doesn't matter to you one way or another. While I'm sure it is
technically excellent, as you pointed out "beauty is in the eye of the
beholder" ... as is art. Maybe future painters do spend time in museums
copying old masters. Maybe that's the way they're instructed. But just
because one school or one school of thought says, "do it the old way,"
doesn't make "the old way" any better than the new.

I would suggest that you learn a wee bit of tolerance. Instead of bashing
people for not wanting to spend years out of their lives, families and
careers to improve upon what for most of us is a hobby, perhaps you should
indeed be lauding them for wishing to improve upon techniques. As my parents
always said ... "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at
all."

As to pedestrian tastes? I happen to like Bud ... so put me in with the
crowds and call me a worthless pedestrian, eh? I'll still go on liking
Budweiser, and I'll still go on making my jewelry, because I enjoy it, and
because the people to whom I gift or sell it enjoy it -- and in the end,
that's what it's all about.

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably in
your view, worthless) opinion.

Carol

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Instead of that, I went to his web site and pondered his wierdo stuff he
calls jewelry. After all the lectures on traditional stuff and masters

and
apprentices, etc. ad nausiam, I go to his web site and his cover photo

is a
piece that looks like a kids toy. After pondering for awhile and

knowing
what art has degenerated to, I finally recognize this thing as a ring.

It's
a horseshoe shape thing with a red bead in a tube. Maybe a carpenters

level
but traditional... my foot.

Salvador Dali, a great admirer and student of the work of Vermeer once

said:
"If you want to paint like yourself, learn to paint first like the great
masters." Even today, one can see many students of painting in museums

all over
the world copying the masters. They copy Rembrandt, Vermeer, Goya,

Velasquez,
etc. That's how you learn how to paint. I mean to say, that's how you

learn
the CRAFT of painting.

Besides, it is not I who call my work ART. I do not call myself an

artist.
That is more or less a title that has been bestowed on me. I call myself

goldsmith. Maybe a very opinionated goldsmith, but a goldsmith

nevertheless.
So why do I have an "Artist Statement" on my web site? Because that is

expected
of me.

You do not need to like my work, I frankly don't give a damn if you do or
don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and obviously you have a

more
pedestrian beer and sausage taste. The craft of my work however, is

impeccable
and can withstand any and all criticism of anyone, especially you.

This is not about aesthetics, but rather about craft, skill. Mastery has
nothing to do with art, but has everything to do with craft and skill.

... Bud is the King of beers because they
say so and the mushbrained masses believe it and buy it.

Well, lookee here. I finally find myself agreeing with you on something.

fart in a bucket of water has more flavor than a Budweiser. Besides, it

isn't
even beer, it's made from rice for God's sakes!

My favorite is our local Anchor Steam Beer. I can see the brewery from my
living room, down the hill here on Potrero Hill in San Francisco. (I can

post a
picture if anyone is interested). I chatted with Fritz Maytag the other

day on
my way to work, when he was bottling some wine, which he also makes.

The only art fair I ever entered got us the the Best of Show ribbon and

cash prize but we did not sell a single piece.

I received "Best of Show" twice at the ACC Craft Show in San Francisco.

The
second time it came with a fat check too.

That is when I gave up on
art... about 20 years ago. The mushbrained masses want garbage not art

and
people like him know this and give them the garbage they want.

You should read "A Confession" on my web site. You might enjoy it. You

get to
it by clicking on "A Confession" at the bottom of my Artist Statement on

my Home
Page.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old September 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Paul K. Dickman

Abrasha wrote in message ...
Well, guess what? I found a near complete copy of the Encyclopedia of

Diderot
and d'Alembert right here in Walnut Creek, a few miles East of San

Francisco.
Practically next door.

37 volumes. A second edition of 28 volumes (11 volumes of plates, 17

volumes of
text), printed in Luca Italy in French 1758-1776, plus four volume text
supplement (lacks plate volume) printed in Amsterdam ,in French 1776 -1777

Price $ 55,000.00 US Dollars

Isn't the Net great?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

When I was in college at SIU, it was on open shelf in the library.

You could check out a volume, take it home, spill beer on it and bring it
back.

Paul K. Dickman

Old September 28th 04, 06:06 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Abrasha"

Are you familiar with their "Old Foghorn Ale", "Liberty Ale", anbd

"Christmas
Ales" varieties?

Sure but try to get it in the sticks.

Did you know they also make wiskey

No but I don't drink whiskey. Just beer and sausage, like you said but
home made sausage of course.

js

Old September 28th 04, 06:06 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Abrasha"

Some potentially bad news regarding Anchor Brewing Co. in today's San

Francisco
Chronicle.

What's new? There isn't a brewery left in Chicago for the same reasons.

Too bloody many people in the world.

js

Old September 28th 04, 09:09 AM
Abrasha

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

When I was in college at SIU, it was on open shelf in the library.

You could check out a volume, take it home, spill beer on it and bring it
back.

Paul K. Dickman

Were those the originals from 1776? Most likely not.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 28th 04, 09:09 AM
Abrasha

Carol wrote:

As to pedestrian tastes? I happen to like Bud ... so put me in with the
crowds and call me a worthless pedestrian, eh?

I didn't say worthless, just pedestrian.

Personally, I think Dali sucks. ::shrug:: just my humble (and probably in
your view, worthless) opinion.

You said it. Utterly wothless indeed.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com