looking for online diamond retailer with decent pricing

Old February 27th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Kendall Davies

Default looking for online diamond retailer with decent pricing

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:07:00 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "minkiemink"
wrote:

Sigh.....that is because he is not a he at all..he is a she...Her name
is not "Codena". Her name is Anjanette Clisura The website for her
company is: http://www.diamondintheroughjewelry.com/ Chunks of rough
set in cut. Selling for scads of greenbacks. Mostly mutton dressed as
lamb if you ask me.

Next time please double check the name before posting mb. Especially
if you are attempting to challenge Abrasha...lol.

I have spent the last two weeks hanging out with Todd at the shows.
His stones are not even remotey suitable for faceting, although he
does use some traditionally cut diamonds as accents.

-Minkie

And yet there apparently IS someone named Carles Codena, who's written
several
books on jewelry making, and seems to be a teacher of it somewhere in
europe (?
not sure I recall right. Found that with a quick search yesterday which I
may
not be remembering right...) But that name doesn't seem linked to any web
sites
showing jewelry with rough diamonds, at least not as found by Google...

Peter

And I just happen to have one of his books on my desk. 'Handbook of
Jewellery Techniques' - translated from the Spanish. English translation
2000. Nice book. A bit different in approach and the illustrations are quite
a nice change from many American/English books. (No criticism to those but
it's good to see different work).

Codina is/was a professor in the jewelry design department of la Escuela
Massena in Barcelona (according to this book).
http://laostiaoffice.blogspot.com/

I got this link to some of his work from google.

Kendall

Old February 27th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

wrote:

[...]

Yes. He is Spanish, and holds a position at some university there.
Titles include "The Complete Book of Jewelry Making," "The New Jewelry:
Contemporary Materials and Techniques, " and Goldsmithing and Silver
Work."

All are available through Rio.

And, to Minkie:
As for "challenging" Abrasha, no, I just asked him some questions, he
was rather polite about it, and I found his answers satisfactory. When
Abrasha and I really get into it, you will know it.

Old February 27th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:07:02 +0000, minkiemink wrote:

Next time please double check the name before posting mb.
Especially if you are attempting to challenge Abrasha

See Peter's reply below, and my reply to him.

...lol.

Minsky theorizes in "The Society of Mind" that laughter helps us to
remember our most bizarre mistakes in reasoning, so we never make the same
mistake again.

Keep it up.

Old February 27th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

robr schrieb:
I'm looking for a reputable jewelry dealer that lists stone
characteristics such as color and clarity. My wife wants a pair of
diamond studs (set in either silver, white gold or platinum) for her
40th birthday. The wife doesn't care if they are man made diamonds
(not simulants) or come from the DeBeers monopoly, or if I need to buy
the stones separately and have them set. My budget is around $400 (so
she's getting some small-ass studs probably set in white gold ).
=20
Thanks for any recommendations.

Hi robr,
diamanonds in that price range can=B4t be an investment. However I think =
You=20
know it.
Please look here at my diamond-bourse:=20
http://www.schmuck-boerse.com/index-...in-diamant.htm
Here we offer second hand diamonds from private people.
Most of the prices are really recommendable cheap. Some others are determ=
ined=20
by the owner. :-)

With best regards,
Heinrich Butschal
--=20
Estate Jewelry http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Famous antique Jewelry http://www.royal-magazin.de
Goldsmith signet rings http://www.meister-atelier.de
Firmengeschenke und Ehrennadeln http://www.schmuckfabrik.de

Old February 27th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

On Feb 27, 12:18 am, mbstevens wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:07:02 +0000, minkiemink wrote:
Next time please double check the name before posting mb.
Especially if you are attempting to challenge Abrasha

See Peter's reply below, and my reply to him.

...lol.

Minsky theorizes in "The Society of Mind" that laughter helps us to
remember our most bizarre mistakes in reasoning, so we never make the same
mistake again.

Keep it up.

Yipe yipe yipe...Ouch...Ok...already....lol...lol...lol. Found the
guy. And...yeah...ok.he is a guy. But...where the heck is the rough
diamond afficionado refered to? Linda sent me a pic of a fairly
dreadful pendant piece with a rough diamond slapped into it, that
se=F1or Codena apparently made, but surely there has to be something
more definitive, or at least more interesting to refer to? From what
I saw, Codenas' stuff is not something to look to as a design example
of a material used well. I even liked the chunks o'stone set into pav=E9
that I sent from the Diamonds in the Rough site better.....and I
didn't like that at all. Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

Think I will go and use some rough diamonds now for a little fun, just
to see what I can do with the little rocks. While I do so, I promise
to repeat to myself that Codena is a man...a man...a man. A yi yi.

(lol)

-Minkie

Old February 28th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:47:17 +0000, minkiemink wrote:
From what
I saw, Codenas' stuff is not something to look to as a design example
of a material used well. I even liked the chunks o'stone set into pave
that I sent from the Diamonds in the Rough site better.....and I
didn't like that at all. Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

Other art jewelers known to use rough diamonds occasionally are Hermann
Junger and Riassa Bump, although I can find no examples of those works on
the net to point you toward. Ancient Roman jewelry also includes rings
set with raw crystals.

Old February 28th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

minkiemink wrote:

Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

I don't agree. Michael Zobel deserved that distinction. It's not even
close. Todd will never get even close to MZ for use of materials. When
it comes to design TR is basically a "one trick pony".

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...egorie=2&go=25
(second from the bottom) Huge image of this:
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/19_huge.jpg

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...en&kategorie=3
(top and bottom brooches) Huge images of these:
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/357_huge.jpg
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/330_huge.jpg

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...en&kategorie=1
top three images. Can also be enlarged to "huge"
http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...tegorie=1&go=5
second from the bottom
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old February 28th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

mbstevens wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:47:17 +0000, minkiemink wrote:
From what
I saw, Codenas' stuff is not something to look to as a design example
of a material used well. I even liked the chunks o'stone set into pave
that I sent from the Diamonds in the Rough site better.....and I
didn't like that at all. Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

Other art jewelers known to use rough diamonds occasionally are Hermann
Junger

Hermann Juenger doesn't make any jewelry anymore ... he's no longer with us.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old March 1st 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 06:27:12 +0000, Abrasha wrote:

mbstevens wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:47:17 +0000, minkiemink wrote:
From what
I saw, Codenas' stuff is not something to look to as a design example
of a material used well. I even liked the chunks o'stone set into pave
that I sent from the Diamonds in the Rough site better.....and I
didn't like that at all. Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

Other art jewelers known to use rough diamonds occasionally are Hermann
Junger

Hermann Juenger doesn't make any jewelry anymore ... he's no longer with us.

Yes, he died. Should have said were.

Old April 4th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Cyli

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 02:31:26 GMT, Abrasha wrote:

minkiemink wrote:

Todd Reed still wins as the best source for
design using this material as far as I can see.

I don't agree. Michael Zobel deserved that distinction. It's not even
close. Todd will never get even close to MZ for use of materials. When
it comes to design TR is basically a "one trick pony".

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...egorie=2&go=25
(second from the bottom) Huge image of this:
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/19_huge.jpg

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...en&kategorie=3
(top and bottom brooches) Huge images of these:
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/357_huge.jpg
http://www.michaelzobel.com/images/artikel/330_huge.jpg

http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...en&kategorie=1
top three images. Can also be enlarged to "huge"
http://www.michaelzobel.com/schmuck/...tegorie=1&go=5
second from the bottom

Thank you very much for those URLs. I haven't felt so much happy
greed for pretty things or so much envy for talent in years. That's a
bunch of gorgeous work.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Looking for Jay Yang Online Retailer Tee Marketplace 0 March 6th 04 03:26 PM
Looking for Jay Yang Online Retailer Tee Sewing 0 March 6th 04 03:26 PM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 06:21 AM
Question about an online retailer... Marissa Undercofler Beads 3 January 12th 04 06:35 PM
diamond pricing Roger Jewelry 14 September 18th 03 02:55 AM