OT World Cup

Old June 9th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT World Cup

Anyone else watching the World Cup games? Who are you cheering for? Who do
you think will win? Who is your favorite player?
I just watched the Germany/Costa Rica game...well, I didn't sit down and
watch it...it was on while I did some other stuff. If I sat for every
game...NOTHING would get done around here!
I think the finals will be Germany and Brazil, with Brazil having an edge in
my totally unschooled opinion. I just like competitve games!
KJ

Old June 9th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We watched the first half because my oldest DS wanted to - he's 5 and the
match started at 6 pm local time and he goes to bed at 7 so we only watched
the first half - he wanted the "white" team to win this game so he was happy
with the half time score LOL

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old June 9th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I wish I could avoid it! But I'm right here in the hotbed of football
(soccer) mania. Shall have to avoid the city center. I'm sort of hoping the
German team falls out early on (heresy of course) so we can all just get
over it.
Roberta in D

Old June 9th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOL even that won't stop the football from being played and a gazillion fans
from gate crashing town centres

BTDT with the European cup a few years back - it will be over in a couple of
weeks and one team will go home ecstatic ;-)
btw... try going to the centre in the early am... you will be amazed how
*quiet* it all is ;-)

Old June 9th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yeah, I would imagine getting to the town center early is the key. Everyone
there for football is sleeping off the drink from the night before. Somehow
I don't think the German team will be out early.
I did think of you when I wrote this Roberta. Are any matches being played
in your city? I'm too lazy to look it up. :-)
KJ

Old June 9th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default NBA OT World Cup

Howdy!

Which is more rabid, the crowd that follows your World Cup
or the one rompin' & stompin' about basketball over here?
Thank goodness Gene gets off work before the biggest crowd heads
to Dallas' American Airline center a few miles away; what a nightmare
on the highway. Is there any "news" on the news programs?
It's almost all about the Mavs here, ..well, they do mention Miami's team
as a side note. g And the football team--good night nurse!

Hello!!! It's BASEBALL season, folks! g

Ragmop/Sandy--my kind of sport is the one they play at the local quilt shop,
thankyouverymuch!

Old June 9th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Which is more rabid, the crowd that follows your World Cup
or the one rompin' & stompin' about basketball over here?

the football (soccer) crowd! they win by a mile- whole countries (the
UK) have been banned from international matches due to the hooligans

(*Not* the UK, as we like to point out here - just England. Our
current worry is English fans coming up to Scotland to fly out to
the World Cup matches from here, thereby avoiding exclusion orders
applied in Germany).

I've just spent a month in Turkey, and early on I was in a middling-
sized town when one of the big Istanbul teams (with a nationwide
following) unexpectedly pipped another one to win the national league.

The whole town went bananas within seconds of the end of the game.
There were cars roaring everywhere with their horns and theft alarms
blaring continuously and fans leaning out of the windows waving
banners, and parades of fans letting off distress flares. The TV
showed the fans of the losing team going berserk, one of them filmed
standing half out of the rear window of a taxi shouting which team
he supported, having set the front half of the taxi on fire. (It
wasn't clear if he expected to get out; a few years ago a Turkish
football supporter hanged himself when his team lost).

The Turkish word for people like the taxi incendiarist is "holigan".
I wonder what country they borrowed that from?...

Veering slightly nearer to on-topic, you can buy fleece blankets
in the colours of the major Istanbul teams (in fact you can buy
any product imaginable in those team colours, from prayer beads
to traffic cones). We'd have got one but Marion & I have decided
to support Trabzon (http://www.trabzonspor.org.tr/) and they didn't
have any blue-and-maroon blankets when we looked.

Old June 9th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

KJ wrote:

Anyone else watching the World Cup games?

Nope. Grr.

The World Cup is the reason I didn't get to go to the Ukraine. We could
get flights in but we couldn't get flights out.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 10th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

G'day Girls!

The team to watch is the Aussie Team - The Socceroos!

They are going to be the 'dark horses' of the tournament. Coached by
Guus Hiddink of the Netherlands. He brought South Korea from total
obscurity to the semi's last time.

We don't expect them to come out victorious, but they'll give it a hell
of a try on the way.

Cheers

--
Bronnie