Copper question and the usual ramble!

Old August 24th 05, 07:12 PM
m3rma1d

Polly S. wrote:

So... can copper in earrings cause problems? I know some people have
serious allergic reactions to different metals but just didn't know if
copper could be a problem as well. The niobium may actually look right in
the long run but I am just not sure. I am assuming that ears are more
sensitive just wearing copper bracelets or chains.

Well, think of it this way maybe...
Earwires made of sterling silver would have copper (925 parts silver + 75
parts copper = sterling silver)
Gold is pretty much always gonna have copper in it, since gold is mixed with
copper & silver alloys, and then other alloys can be added to the mix for
color effects... (the ratio of gold to the alloys added to it determine that
karat number at the end of it all)
But even white gold has some copper in there.
Pure 24k gold wouldn't have any other alloys, but you might as well make
earwires from cooked spaghetti as far as that goes...
If the spaghetti were "al dente", that could substitute for fine silver :-D
As for gold-filled, not only would there be some copper in the outer gold
layer (see above), but it's prolly safe to assume the base metal core would
contain copper alloys.

It's kinda funny when you think about it.... So many times you see copper
sorta "shunned" by jewelry makers and jewelry customers alike...
But what the hell use is a house without a foundation?
A big bad wolf huffed & puffed that lesson to 2 outta 3 little pigs a
longass time ago :-)

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com
To reply in email, remove my panties.

Old August 25th 05, 12:47 AM
Polly S.

m3rma1d wrote:

snippage

It's kinda funny when you think about it.... So many times you see copper
sorta "shunned" by jewelry makers and jewelry customers alike...
But what the hell use is a house without a foundation?
A big bad wolf huffed & puffed that lesson to 2 outta 3 little pigs a
longass time ago :-)

Ya know, thinking of it that way, copper really has gotten the short
end!

After starting to work on this and seeing all the parts come together
I'm beginning to like copper even more... to really love the weight and
the 'warmth'. This feels like re-discovery though, for some reason. hmm

I've already caught myself browsing and mentally ordering more copper
components... and beads... and chains! The one old 24" chain that I
found/won on ebay is wonderful... warm chocolate patina with heavy
double links. I have a feeling it's going to be a one-of-kind find
though. And just to be on the safe side, I'm going to go ahead and use
the niobium for the earwires. The color works after all, simply because
there is no one color of copper in all of this. Only the very very
brightest will need to be darkened slightly (headpins and 3mm beads).

uh oh... sounds like I've got a new 'obsession!!!

--
Polly