block of the month recommendations

Old January 2nd 04, 06:03 AM
Ann Adamson

Default block of the month recommendations

I think I would like to try a block of the month in 2004.
(Or maybe a block-every-two-months - I might actually be able to keep up
with that!)

Anybody have any suggestions on where I can find a good one?
I'd like something mostly pieced but an applique block or two would be
OK. And it would be nice if the blocks were not too hard, although I'm
up for a LITTLE challenge.

If I don't find one I like, I think I'm just going to "make up" my own
by doing some random blocks out of my Block Party book, and putting them
together as a sampler.

Ann

Old January 2nd 04, 10:11 AM
Patti

Hullo Ann
I really like your idea of making up your own.
To spice the whole exercise up, you could do all the planning ahead of
time: decide the blocks for every couple of months and set it down like
a little calendar. You could decide whether you are going to have a
colour theme running through the quilt; what size blocks you are going
to do, to suit your own size requirement; you can decide on your own
sashing principles (eg width, cornerstones or not etc).
Mind you, don't forget I say all this with the knowledge that the
planning and design is my own favourite part!!
An additional little thought: a friend near me here made up her own
sampler for a niece. For it, she chose blocks with names which might
have special significance for the niece.
Have fun,
..
In article , Ann Adamson
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
Debbie

Or if you want it to be more fun and spoctaneous, you could pick blocks
you've always wanted to try and put their names in a basket and draw one
out each month, so you wouldn't know which one you were doing ahead of
time. If you want 6 this year, put in 9-10 names, then you wouldn't
know for sure which ones were going to get done.

----------

--
Debbie
reply-to address will bounce
Old January 2nd 04, 05:18 PM
Ann Adamson

Great ideas, thanks!

I do like the idea of doing my own, 'cause then I can decide the pace
and like you said, pick some favorites I've been wanting to try.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:50 PM
DeB Shaw

Here's a couple to start your search ...

BlockCentral's 2004 BOM just began!
http://www.blockcentral.com/BOM.shtml

Applewood Farm's BOM begins the 15th of this month.
http://applewd.com/BOM/page1.html

Happy New Year.
:^)

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern Lights*
(Doin' MN Happy Dance that I'm online & viewing my beloved ng ... and ...
just in case this is my one & only chance today ... thanX B'fly, for email
updates & a much loved siggy block.) :^)

mumble, mumble, grumble ... that durned ProjectRescuer gal better get time
to get 'puters jiving together.

Old January 2nd 04, 06:22 PM
Patti

Quite right, Debbie
It is only someone like me that can think it is fun if everything is
planned down to the last square inch. I love your suggestion for the
pull out of a hat trick! (For Ann g)
..
In article , Debbie
writes

Old January 2nd 04, 09:16 PM
Dan and Joanne Augusta

Hey DeB, the Block central one is BEAUTIFUL! I may even be inspired enough
to give this one a try. I really like the colours, wouldn't have to change
much (except I DON"T do plaid unless it's a flannel work shirt)

Thanks for the links!

Joanne in Spencerville

Old January 3rd 04, 12:54 AM
M. Wetmore

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 06:03:33 GMT, Ann Adamson
wrote:

I think I would like to try a block of the month in 2004.
(Or maybe a block-every-two-months - I might actually be able to keep up
with that!)

Anybody have any suggestions on where I can find a good one?
I'd like something mostly pieced but an applique block or two would be
OK. And it would be nice if the blocks were not too hard, although I'm
up for a LITTLE challenge.

If I don't find one I like, I think I'm just going to "make up" my own
by doing some random blocks out of my Block Party book, and putting them
together as a sampler.

Ann

Hi Ann:

I like the idea of designing your own. You could unify the project by
doing it in batiks, hand dyes, autumn fabrics, pastels, or something
else along those lines.

I think I will do that, also. I have so many hand dyes, maybe I'll
just randomly choose a block each month and have at it. I think I
will choose blocks that are somewhat challenging, though. Because you
have the whole month to complete one block, I think that is a great
opportunity to challenge yourself.

Maybe we can start some kind of a "Do-it-yourself block of the month
club" and post our progress monthly and at the end of the year, help
each other out on assembling the blocks and then post pictures of
completed blocks.

I have lots of web space so if anyone is interested in doing something
like that, let me know and I'll set up a web page.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old January 3rd 04, 03:53 AM
Diana Curtis

It is SO good to see you posting again! Hope things are going well for you,
or weller than before?
Diana, with hugs to the northernish neighbor

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
New Block Of The Month Design Renmark Craft Corner Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 04:02 AM
New Block Of The Month Renmark Craft Corner Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 04:01 AM
Block of the month teleflora Quilting 5 November 1st 03 08:50 PM
Christmas block of the month Barbara Bowen Quilting 0 July 17th 03 04:18 PM