Pie Are Square, prints are not

Old August 20th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Default Pie Are Square, prints are not

It was those kitties playing tug of war with their mittens....

those naughty kittens!

--
Kate in MI

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
The kittens and mittens are cute but the off-square is bothering me just a
little. I think I'll correct the wonk just a little with the rotary and
then add another border or two to bring it into square. Being off ¼" or
½" wouldn't be so bad but this is ridiculous. Polly

"Roberta" wrote Nope! They'll be so busy admiring your kitties.
Roberta in D

"Polly Esther"wroteYou know how this is going to end, just smile along
as you read it. I was
in an appliqué mood so I stitched 3 kittens and 3 pair of mittens on a
lovely soft fabric. The background base is 4-patches printed in gentle
shades of blues and purples.
The crib quilt needed just a little more color so I framed it with a
skinny border of pink with tiny daisies and then a purple strip. The
background fabric is cut precisely by the printed blocks so there was
really
no need to measure, right?
Wrong.
The quilt is l and 1/8" longer on one side than the other. Do you
think anyone will notice? Polly

Old August 21st 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I know it's not the high point of your day but I've got to tell you the end
of kittens and mittens. I managed to kinda square the rascal but it still
didn't look finished. The mittens just seemed to look like they were an
afterthought. I took some 1/8" silk ribbon and joined the pairs of mittens
together in a sort of wiggled loopy manner. To keep baby from harm, I
stitched the ribbon down with a __V__ stitch. To protect the ribbon from
baby, I threaded the ends under the quilt top with a wide-eyed needle and
firmly stitched them down. Viola. =) One more happy quilt. Polly

"Kate in MI" wrote It was those kitties playing tug of war with their
mittens....

those naughty kittens!

"Polly Esther" wrote The kittens and mittens are cute but the off-square

Old August 21st 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

No...nobody will notice. I figure you've got several options.

1. slice off the extra 1 1/8 and pretend that the block you sliced is
still perfectly square.

2. add 1 1/8 to the width of the border you're going to add on the
shorter side.

3. (my personal favorite) Cut 1 1/4 off the whole quilt on one end so
that you have an even quilt again. Put on the border. Get creative
with some sort of applique -- maybe some grass or little flowers down
at that end to cover up the loss of 1 1/4 of fabric.

4. Leave the whole thing just like it is and if somebody says it's
lopsided, look at them like they just suggested that your grandmother
wore a thong and smoke cigars.

Sunny
survivor of many quilting mishaps
Old August 22nd 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Only when they try to fold it. :-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 22nd 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ[_2_]

It sounds like another darling quilt, Polly.

Old August 22nd 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
The quilt is l and 1/8" longer on one side than the other. Do you

think anyone will notice? Polly

The baby won't and it's the one who will be using it!

Cindy

Old August 23rd 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C.

Polly Esther wrote:
You know how this is going to end, just smile along as you read it. I
was in an appliqué mood so I stitched 3 kittens and 3 pair of mittens on
a lovely soft fabric. The background base is 4-patches printed in
gentle shades of blues and purples.
The crib quilt needed just a little more color so I framed it with a
skinny border of pink with tiny daisies and then a purple strip. The
background fabric is cut precisely by the printed blocks so there was
really no need to measure, right?
Wrong.
The quilt is l and 1/8" longer on one side than the other. Do you
think anyone will notice? Polly

Nope! Everyone is going to be looking at the delightful kittens and
their mittens. N one will be standing there with measuring tape in hand.

Best regards,
Michelle in Nevada