Macs

Old August 14th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default Macs

In article 5SXgm.1178$5H6.1047@attbi_s21,
"KJ" wrote:

Bought my Mac from the university bookstore with the small faculty discount.
So I don't have a local dealer for that sort of thing. The nearest Apple
store is over 100 miles away.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Okay, so perhaps you don't have easy access to an Apple Store (I didn't
have, either, when I lived in Arizona), but you do certainly have phone
support from Apple! If you just bought the Mac, you have at least 90
days of free phone support; if you also buy AppleCare, you have three
*years* of free phone support. I love the Mac techs!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old August 14th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article w%Xgm.1193$5H6.179@attbi_s21,
"KJ" wrote:

Thanks Sandy, I have the MacBook Pro. I've been on the EQ for Macs list
for a couple years. I'll look for the Bernina group, too. I'll check out
the NewsWatcher.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Good luck, Kathyl, and let the rest of us Mac users know if you have
questions we can answer. Oh, that reminds me! Another great resource is
the Apple forums on the Apple site:
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1. I generally
check on several sections there fairly frequently, and I always read up
on whatever I'm about to update/upgrade, whether it's just the OS or
some hardware. Just keep in mind that it's mostly people there who are
having problems, so you won't see posts from the thousands of folks who
are perfectly happy.

Old August 14th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:14:41 -0500, KJ wrote
(in article 5SXgm.1178$5H6.1047@attbi_s21):

Bought my Mac from the university bookstore with the small faculty discount.
So I don't have a local dealer for that sort of thing. The nearest Apple
store is over 100 miles away.

Does the bookstore have techs that work on the computers?

Maureen

Old August 16th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Congrats on your new Mac! We went Mac about a year ago. The transition
was a little rough, since I'd been using Windows since just before
Windows 2, and 13 years of that doing graphic design (with a big chip
on my shoulder)!!
Now, neither of us can imagine going back, even without Vista. Once
you get the hang of it, it's just so *easy, and FAR more stable.

I use Fusion with XP for EQ6 and it works well. I understand Parallels
is pretty much the same.

One of the nice benefits of Mac is the almost total (I don't want to
jinx it!) freedom from viruses and other malware, so I don't use
Windows for anything online.

Switched to Firefox after I was having some slowdowns--offline--and
read something about Safari being the culprit. Didn't/doesn't make
much sense to me, but seemed to take care of the problem.

No advice about newsreaders, since I'm using groups.google.com and
haven't tried anything else, but keep hearing good things about
eternalseptember (where'd that name come from?)

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

On Aug 12, 11:07*pm, "KJ" wrote:
I have a new Mac laptop. *Now I need to figure out how to get newsgroup
access without using Outlook Express. *I know we've hashed this in the
past....but at that time it didn't pertain to ME!
So far I like it, but I wouldn't say I'm in love yet. *I have a lot of work
to do to get programs loaded. *I haven't yet installed a Windows program (XP
or Vista), nor Parallels or Fusion (any suggestions as to which ones should
I use for EQ6 and Bernina embroidery program?)
Thanks for any help, tips, trick, and info you can give me. *This group
knows EVERYTHING!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz

Old August 16th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Thanks Heidi!
You're not the first one to mention switching to Firefox with a Mac. I'm
making the transition slowly!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi