Anyone building their own kilns?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Byrd

Default Anyone building their own kilns?

I am trying to get started doing some glass and pottery crafting. I am
having to do it on my own and with the aid of some books. I live 150 mi
from the nearest school with any similar art programs and probably couldn't
afford the tuition if it was next store, we're barely affording keeping the
daughter in.

I was interested in a large Bell style kiln but there's no way in hell I can
afford to buy one, unless maybe someone knows of a benefactor with deep
pockets who would take pity on 50 something, gimpy old man (chuckle). Has
anyone built their own and how hard is it?

I have ordered a book by Halem, there is supposed to be some good
information in it.

I need my kiln to be wheelchair friendly and was wanting to have two rolling
tables (also wheelchair accessible) so I could be loading / unloading one
while the other was firing. I was thinking about a convertible kiln, ie; a
3' x 6' x 2' but I had the idea to maybe section it so I could isolate half
of it for smaller firings. and also lower it down a little farther if I
don't need the depth/height.

I was given an 18" old (50's maybe) ceramic kiln that I would like to use
for some glass and pottery as well. It just basically a 3 position switch
which controls the 2 elements. I can't find any info on it. but I was
wondering what was available as far as kiln programmers are available.

I have 3 old dos and win98 machines and was wondering if anyone ever tried
to use a PC as a kiln controller? ...... and what else would be needed.
Are there any resources (websites, books, etc) that tackle this sort of
thing?

Thanks,
Byrd

Anyone building their own kilns? Byrd Glass 27 May 15th 07 02:51 PM
kilns Romayne Naylor Glass 11 August 1st 05 07:09 AM
kilns mrbonaparte Glass 6 November 8th 04 04:45 PM
kilns Bonnie Glass 25 September 14th 04 12:13 AM
Kilns anyone? Marlene DeLugish Glass 18 December 16th 03 08:10 AM