skipping AND breaking

Old January 16th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default skipping AND breaking

I've had a new machine since the beginning of the December, so not long,
I've been very happy with piecing, some machine embroidery I've tried
and the quilting of the first two quilts, which were both small and
didn't have very complex quilting, one everything free motion was a
gradual curve going over no seams, 2nd was quilted with a spiders web,
did cross seams and appeared to be fine. The third was where things
started to go wrong, but I assumed it was the batting, as I was trying a
fusible for the first time, the skipping would happen as I crossed a
seam and the thread would snap. All of those were small, now I'm working
on a 70"*70" top which will get borders added to be a queen size. I made
a test sandwich and everything appeared fine, but on to the big quilt
and it's a disaster, I don't think I'm moving too slow or two fast as
it's find until I get to the seam, the way it then snaps is making me
wonder if somehow hitting the seam makes something unhappy and the top
tension suddenly tightens and then it snaps.

I think it's a going to the shop job, as I think I've tried everything,
I tried different sizes of needle, quilting needles rather than sharps,
tried the thread on different spool holders in case the snag was at that
end. I wondered if the foot was responding badly to the height of a
seam, but played with all the settings there to no avail.

I'm going to have to drag the quilt in with me as unless I make a small
block of the same fabrics I can't duplicate the problem, it's fine on a
regular sandwich. I'll have at least one kid with me and if the local
schools are running late again, his preschool is cancelled, even though
them running late makes them start at the same time.

I had hoped to make inroads on this quilt today, I've done some QITD
that I decided was neccessary, I think I have 2 "blocks" where I did
manage to get through and lots of other bits I need to unpick. I'm
presuming they'll have to send it away, which means a week!

Cheers
Anne
Old January 16th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Sigh. Sometimes they just won't behave, for no apparent reason. Different
machines can be finicky about different threads for free motion. Even
threads they tolerate in regular stitching. It does play havoc with tension
when you pull the work in all directions. And lots of seams do not help at
all. This might be where you need to go very slowly, one stitch at a time,
slow enough to react and not move the quilt if it skips a stitch, so it can
try again in the same spot.
Roberta in D

. ..

Old January 16th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

tension too tight? Foot pressure too much? Just guesses.
I was having trouble moving too fast. Slow down and see
what happens.
My favorite local quilter tips are he
http://www.battsintheattic.com/PrimaryPages/tips.html

There is a good trouble chart he
http://www.amefird.com/signature_trouble_guide.htm

You might just put a phone call in to your shop. They might
have a few suggestions for your machines.
There are an awful lot of quilters that do wonderful home machine
quilting here. Where are they today? BTW, what is the machine?
Taria

Old January 16th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

Anne,
I've been hanging out over on a yahoo group, 'wefixit', and they
suggested that it is the difference in the height of the sandwich when
one goes over a seam. Have you tried a longer stitch? It takes more
thread in the thick spot.
Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old January 16th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

When I had a problem even though using a quilting needle, someone
suggested a topstitch or metallic needle. I used the metallic one and it
worked. I was using Rayon thread.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old January 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Sigh. Sometimes they just won't behave, for no apparent reason. Different
machines can be finicky about different threads for free motion. Even
threads they tolerate in regular stitching. It does play havoc with tension
when you pull the work in all directions. And lots of seams do not help at
all. This might be where you need to go very slowly, one stitch at a time,
slow enough to react and not move the quilt if it skips a stitch, so it can
try again in the same spot.

I even tried different threads. I have tried going slowly, but the
extent you have to slow down is extreme, the speed that makes it work is
difficult to free motion quilt, when you seem to have to go at a medium
speed to get the flow going nicely. This is supposed to be a good
machine, it's specifically designed for quilters, my bottom of the range
Janome could deal with this, though the size of it's harp and angle
meant that my right wrist would be agony very fast, but it was still
possible!

I want to call the store, but annoyingly my groceries which were due to
be delivered by 9 haven't arrived, so I don't want to start phoning,
which would probably guarantee the groceries would arrive at just that
moment!

Anne
Old January 16th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Taria wrote:
tension too tight? Foot pressure too much? Just guesses.
I was having trouble moving too fast. Slow down and see
what happens.

lowered the tension, no luck, changed the foot pressure too, it has two
settings, height and pressure, I thought initially I must have had it
set too high as it didn't look as if it was pressing on the sandwich,
but making it lower didn't help.

My favorite local quilter tips are he
http://www.battsintheattic.com/PrimaryPages/tips.html

She suggest a denim needle, which is one thing I haven't tried.

There is a good trouble chart he
http://www.amefird.com/signature_trouble_guide.htm

According to that I'm doing all the right things :-(.

You might just put a phone call in to your shop. They might
have a few suggestions for your machines.
There are an awful lot of quilters that do wonderful home machine
quilting here. Where are they today? BTW, what is the machine?

It's a Brother QC1000, I'm going to call the shop once I sort out the
grocery issue!

Anne
Old January 16th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Bonnie Patterson wrote:
Anne,
I've been hanging out over on a yahoo group, 'wefixit', and they
suggested that it is the difference in the height of the sandwich when
one goes over a seam. Have you tried a longer stitch? It takes more
thread in the thick spot.

It's free motion, so a longer stitch would mean either moving the fabric
faster, or sewing faster, not a changing a stitch length setting.
Looking at where the punched holes are from the skipped stitches, any
longer would be too long they are about 10 to an inch. I used my walking
foot to do some in the ditch quilting on the same quilt before moving on
to free motion, which was great, nice straight lines, no wobbles or
missed stitches when crossing seams.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 16th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Sally Swindells wrote:
When I had a problem even though using a quilting needle, someone
suggested a topstitch or metallic needle. I used the metallic one and it
worked. I was using Rayon thread.

I'm using bog standard 50wt cotton, not the 40wt sometimes used for
quilting, which should mean less needle issues. I just remembered
another quilt I finished off on this machine, all the bits of quilting
that went over seams was done, I was using polyester thread and the
design did have lots of corners and different directions and it worked
out fine.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 16th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

I have nothing to offer except an "I'm so sorry" hug!!

I hope it gets resolved ASAP so you can get back to quilting and enjoying
your new baby!!!

Hugs!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

. ..

Machine skipping stitches deb Quilting 9 January 11th 08 05:10 PM
blasted walking foot is skipping stitches again Maloney Empire Quilting 1 February 1st 07 04:58 AM
blasted walking foot is skipping stitches again jennellh Quilting 0 February 1st 07 04:36 AM
blasted walking foot is skipping stitches again polly esther Quilting 0 February 1st 07 03:38 AM
Skipping on ice polly esther Quilting 11 October 18th 06 02:57 AM