Breaking thread

Old July 20th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Breaking thread

I'm struggling along quilting on Janome 6500, but the thread keeps
breaking. t isn't FM quilting, just ordinary walking foot doing wavy
lines like Pat suggested a few months ago. Going nice and steady - not
trying to break the sound barrier!

Its Madiera Rayon variagated in both top and bottom. The thread comes
off an ordinary small bobbin, not one of the thin ones or a big spool.
I'm using, or have used, quilting and two sizes of Jeans needle - the
quilting one and the piecing one. Tension about 4. It really is driving
me mad.

I have cleaned everything in sight, and out of sight, twice!

The backing is a pretty Polycotton and the front and batting cotton.
Could it be the polycotton that is causing the problem? When I piece
everything is fine, but wonder if it could be the density of the polycotton.

All advice appreciated! At the moment I am facing a large number of
sewing in ends.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old July 20th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Let's do some brilliant detective work, Sally. Put together a practice
sandwich. Swap your bobbin and top threads to something else. If all goes
well with different thread out on the practice piece, we might decide that
your Madeira is faulty. If that doesn't show to be the problem, we'll have
lots more suggestions, that's just an easy place to start. Please don't go
mad; we really like you. Polly

Old July 20th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

heck, just rethreading the top, from the beginning, might help.
if'n it gets into the wrong side of the tension disc the darn things often
throw a wobbly.
just off the top of my addled brain,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old July 20th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

What size needle are you using? I found that you sometimes need larger
sizes to deal with the breaking threads. Nancy

Old July 20th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Betty in Wi

I have been led to believe that Rayon thread is for embroidery and not for
piecing or quilting as it just isn't strong enough. I was going to buy rayon
to hem a Prom dress and the store owner told me not to use it.

Betty in WI

Old July 20th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Arkansas

On Jul 19, 8:43 pm, "Betty in Wi"
wrote:
[...]

Rayon thread will shred and break.........it even does it in
embroidery use. You can probably get the same color in polyester, and
it is much much stronger.

It's not you...........it's the thread.

Old July 20th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

You need an embroidery needle to use the rayon thread.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 20th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Weird! I have used rayon thread with no problems when machine quilting
with my Janome 5700. Of course, it's cheap rayon, LOL. Seriously, I
haven't had any problems, beyond having to tinker quite a bit at first
to get the right tension setting. I fear now that you have all
informed me that rayon can't stand up to machine quilting I will no
longer be able to use it. BG I really like using rayon for free hand
machine embroidery. It's way easier to work with than the "shiney"
metalic threads and still gives a nice sort of glowy look.

Sunny
hoping I've not been jinxed

See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old July 20th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

It depends on the quilt whether you can safely use rayon threads. I used it
*exclusively* in my horse-pital quilt- and LOTS of it. I used the quilt
heavily while in the hospital, have used it at home since then and have
washed it 4 or 5 times already. The thread is holding up very well and
looks lovely.

Now, I knew a lady who made a gorgeous handquilted quilt for her son. The
grandkids used it for a sofa quilt and loved to put their feet in the middle
of the quilt and push! They liked to hear the sounds of the threads popping
and breaking... the little devils! She switched to machine quilting after
seeing what they had done to her hand quilting. I wonder if even that was
safe from those little stinkers??? They would have received a stern talking
to if they had been my granddarlings!

So...... the answer is..... it depends! (I know a lot of 'famous name'
quilters tell you to use it, too. And it *is* lovely to use in the quilting
and in FM embroidery, I absolutely agree with you there!)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

oups.com...

Old July 20th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I did a heap of frog-stitches!
They were very easy as the lengths of thread were short and the tension
a bit loose!

I am about to try again with cotton. I hope this will work as I am sick
of rethreading the machine. I was sure that it wasn't misthreaded as I'd
redone it so many times!

I had visions of the little Norwegian girl its destined for inviting her
friends around in a few years time and spending many a happy hour in
front of the log fire pinging the rayon threads in the quiltingg, so
thought out it must come. I will remember to try an embroidery needle
newt time; in fact I'll write it on the bobbin.

Now I have to move Kiwi off the sewing chair and get on with it,
surrounded by 5 pairs of eyes. Kiwi and Mia are enjoying the visit of
their little brother and sister. Jemima and Gerry aren't too sure - a
big adventure for them, but next time will be able to carry on where
they left off. Very little spitting has taken place - none of it from
mine. Hodge is a little worried that they might stay and he will have
two more to wash! They leave in about 5 hours though.

Thanks again for the advice - noted and taken.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk