I am NOT going to Michaels craft store anymore....

Old April 14th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default I am NOT going to Michaels craft store anymore....

While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender Baby
Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up coming
out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!! *sigh*

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old April 14th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender
Baby Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up
coming out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!!
*sigh*

Yes, naughty. Hold out your hand ...

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

Excuses don't help - your hand - NOW!

*hugs*

And don't try soft soaping!

Mary

Old April 14th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Not Likely wrote:
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender Baby
Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up coming
out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!! *sigh*

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Sounds like a conversation Gail and I just had
Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old April 14th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender
Baby Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up
coming out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!!
*sigh*

Yes, naughty. Hold out your hand ...

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

Excuses don't help - your hand - NOW!

*hugs*

And don't try soft soaping!

Mary

LOL Thank you for the laugh... after the initial nightmare it brought back
in a fleeting moment.
---
At first when I read that I had haunting memories of being an 8 year old
back in grade three where my teacher absolutely had it out for me... every
single day (I kid you not) she would send me to the principal to get the
strap even though I hadn't done anything (I was terrified to do anything
because of the way she was with me). Finally after a couple of months of
that (and keeping it to myself) and after one particular bad strapping that
stands out clearly in my mind to this day... (All I had done was to ask to
borrow a fellow student's eraser. The teacher slammed her ruler on my desk
and screeched at me "Go to the principal's office NOW." It did no good to
try to explain, because she would never listen to me at all and that day was
no different, she responded with "I know if you did something or not, do not
argue with me. You are a BIG FAT PIG, now get to the principal's office
like you are told to do!" The principal was the same when I tried to
explain that I hadn't done anything, saying "You MUST have done something or
the teacher wouldn't send you here for the strap, now hold out your hands."
Later at recess, of course... kids *will* be kids, and after hearing the
teacher call it to me, they insisted on being relentless in calling me a BIG
FAT PIG... "You MUST be, the teacher said so!!!" Yes, I was overweight,
but not to that point... and kids always teased me anyway, and my Mom had
told me not to let them see it hurt and instead to just walk away... so I
did, no matter how much I wanted to run and cry.)... I was sitting at the
table for lunch with my hands (swollen) under the table.

My Mom told me to get busy and eat or I would be late going back to school.
I started to cry and said I couldn't pick up the spoon (we were having
soup). She asked why and I told her my hands were hurting. When she asked
to see my hands and saw how swollen they were, she asked what had happened
(not suspecting for a minute that it had anything to do with the teachers or
principal) and when I told her, and explained that I hadn't done anything
and had been getting the strap everyday since school started, she went
totally white and told my brother to make sure I ate my lunch. She stormed
out the door and across the other side of town (walking, I might add... she
never had her driver's license) and into the principal's office. Now you
have to understand, she was only a little lady (5' 1/2") but she was mighty
when she lost her temper... and she had a hot Irish/French Newfie
(Newfoundland, for those who don't know) temper that took a lot to come out,
but when it did... everyone moved, and fast.

A few of the other students who were in my brother's grade 8 class across
the hall told my brother later what had happened. Apparently she didn't
even knock on the door, just flung it opened and stormed in leaving it open
behind her. She leaned on the desk and lit into the principal saying "My
child is sitting home right now unable to pick up her spoon to eat her soup
because you strapped her so hard that her little hands are swollen to almost
the size of footballs. She tried to tell you that she had done nothing, but
instead of investigating you just assumed the teacher was right and strapped
her.... and from what I hear this has been happening EVERY blessed day since
the beginning of the school year. A normal person would be suspicious
seeing the same child everyday, but you just don't give a sh*t and swing
your mighty strap anyway because you think it gives you power over these
children. I'll tell you what... you EVER strap my child again, and I will
come back here and use the God D*mned thing on YOU! Is that PERFECTLY
clear?" According to the other students who heard and saw (naturally they
went to the doorway of their class to see what was going on, considering
their teacher was the principal and therefore there was no one in there with
them), the principal was leaning back in his chair away from my Mom and just
answered "Yes, it's clear." when she finished.

Then she went up the stairs to my classroom and called the teacher out into
the hall and lit into her too. After telling her off about sending me to
get the strap everyday and threatening to introduce her to it herself if she
sent me again... she then went up one side of her and down the other (she
told me this years later, and a few of the older kids had overheard and told
my brother this too) with "And how dare YOU call my child, an EIGHT year old
no less, a big fat pig!! Number one she is a CHILD who's feelings are hurt
very easily, number two she is not that much overweight and even if she was
SO WHAT? she is still a child and should never be spoken to like that, and
number three because of your big mouth all the other children in her
classroom are calling her that horrendous name. And lastly... you might
want to take a look in a mirror before you ever think about calling any
child fat again! If she or any other child bothers you so very much that
you feel the need to pick on her relentlessly by sending her to the
principal everyday for the strap for no reason at all, and to resort to
namecalling of that child, then you should NOT be a teacher. Teachers are
supposed to teach children to enjoy what they learn, not terrify them of
school. No wonder she went from liking school as she did from kindergarten
through grade two, to feeling sick almost everyday and not wanting to go to
school... YOU have her terrified to come here, and YOU have made her hate
being here at all. If I hear of any further mistreatment of my child, I
WILL be reporting you and that thing downstairs in the office that is
supposed to be in charge of the entire school to the schoolboard. Good
day!" and she turned and walked away.

Now, apparently after school that afternoon, my Mom got a phonecall from the
principal asking her to come retrieve her son. My older brother and his
best friend (who were both grade 8 students in the principal's class) stayed
after school and were out on the sidewalk waiting for him to come off the
school property. They told him outright as they were leaving the school
that they wouldn't touch him on the school property because they knew they
would be suspended, but they wanted to let him know what kind of fear an 8
year old felt having to go face him everyday for the strap and just let him
feel some of the pain that he inflicted on my hands day after day. They
were 13 - 13 year olds who were not very big at all (in fact my brother was
rather small for his age and his friend was pretty thin), but the principal
was afraid to come off the school property until my parents went over to get
the boys away from there and talk to them about not seeking revenge for my
pain and anguish.
---
Holy cow... that kind of opened up a can of worms, didn't it? They say
opening up about things is a good stress reliever. hehehe

*hugs*
Gemini

Old April 15th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Apr 14, 1:50 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender Baby
Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up coming
out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!! *sigh*

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

Uh-oh! And will you actually use that book?????

Higs,
Katherine

Old April 15th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

On 14 Apr, 23:22, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
Holy cow... that kind of opened up a can of worms, didn't it? They

say
opening up about things is a good stress reliever. hehehe

*hugs*
Gemini-

{{{hugs}}}
But didn't it feel good that your mom told-off those idiots at the
school? And that your big brother wanted to protect you as well?

Erin

Old April 15th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

LOL Thank you for the laugh... after the initial nightmare it brought
back in a fleeting moment.
---

Holy cow... that kind of opened up a can of worms, didn't it? They say
opening up about things is a good stress reliever. hehehe

That's a terrible story but it had a good ending. I'm very sorry to have
opened the can - in a way - but pleased because we all need reminding to
consider our motives from time to time.

Your story reminded me of a time when I must have been about the same age. I
used to get my knuckles rapped with two rulers held together but it was
mostly for dreaming or being messy. My mother didn't like my dreaming
either, I wish I'd known enough to say that Michelangelo was a dreamer,
Beethoven was a dreamer .. etc. But of course I've never dreamed to those
heights :-)

As for being messy, it was bad enough when we wrote on slates or in pencil
in precious (wartime paper shortage) books but when we graduated to pens
which were dipped in ink I simply couldn't control the black stuff, it ended
up on my fingers, my clothes, the desk and of course all over the pages. I
was a clever child but not neat. A teacher sent me to the headmistress, Mrs
Wilkinson. She was a tall, dark haired, rather fearsome figure. All head
were fearsome in my mind but that was just me, I know better now that Mrs W
Wasn't that tall and she was a kind and generous, if stern, woman.

Mrs Wilkinson looked at the book, looked at me and said, shaking her head,
"What ARE we to do with you, Mary?" She didn't punish me but I remember that
incident more than any other except when I played the Elfin King in the
school play as a five year old and when I burst into tears when told I'd
passed my entrance exam to high school - the only girl in the class and the
first in the history of the school.

Still a messy dreamer though ... and the typewriter was a blessing to me
because it meant that I could write letters which could be read by the
recipient :-)

Mary

I trembled in front of her and handed my book.

Old April 15th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Apr 14, 12:50 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender Baby
Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up coming
out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!! *sigh*

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Of for shame for shame! (Hmmm...I better get down to Michael's,
myself!).

Wendy

Old April 16th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"YarnWright" wrote in message
Not Likely spun a FINE 'yarn':

snipped *most* of it to here, to make my point:

--- Holy cow... that kind of opened up a can of worms, didn't it?
They say opening up about things is a good stress reliever. hehehe

*hugs*
Gemini

end quoted

Gem/slash.Not Likely. . .
and you can do that HERE, with US *anytime*!!
Hugs,
Noreen

Thank you! )

*hugs*
Gem

Old April 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

oups.com...
wrote:
While Matthew was in one of his cabinetmaking classes last night, I swung
around to Michaels to look for *one* pattern book (the "Love Me Tender
Baby
Afghans" that I saw on line and thought was so sweet). I ended up coming
out with.... FOUR pattern books! Bad Gemini... bad, bad bad!!! *sigh*

Thank goodness there was a 40% off coupon to help out. ;o)

Uh-oh! And will you actually use that book?????

Higs,
Katherine

I *hope* so... eventually! If not for Matthew, then for someone else. I
can't do the yarnwork as quickly anymore, or even as often... but I still do
enjoy doing a row or two whenever I can. )

By the way... one of the books was the "Love Me Tender Baby Afghans" (I
wasn't actually sure I would even find it anymore, but I lucked out), the
other larger book (the most expensive of the four) was Leisure Arts
"Color-Bright Creatures" which has 8 Animal Afghans in it... *really* sweet.
The two smaller books are Leisure Arts "First Choice Ripple Afghans" and
RedHeart "Creature Comforts" Family Slippers that are really cute. Even if
I don't get around to doing them soon, the books don't eat anything, and
when I'm up to it (and the weather is right... I hate doing yarnwork in the
heat of summer, so that is out) they will still be there waiting for me to
give them a try.

*hugs*
Gem