Ott Lamps

Old June 9th 05, 04:48 PM
lizard-gumbo

Default Ott Lamps

Do you all know if you can put a TrueColor lightbub in a regular lamp,
or does it have to go in an OttLite?

Thanks,
LG
Old June 9th 05, 05:39 PM
Jenn Ridley

lizard-gumbo wrote:

Do you all know if you can put a TrueColor lightbub in a regular lamp,
or does it have to go in an OttLite?

If it fits in the fixture, it will work.

Caveat: An Ott TruColor bulb is a fluorescent bulb. Do not put it in
a lamp with a dimmer circuit. Fluorescent bulbs don't run very well
on dimmer circuits, and it won't last as long as it would normally.

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Water Lilies, Rose Trio, Be Mine, Emperor's Coat II, Carousel
Old June 9th 05, 11:11 PM
Linda D.

Yes, you sure can. I have a lamp that takes the bulbs similar to the
OTT bulbs, and was able to switch to the OTT bulb. Of course, I
discovered this *after* I bought an OTT light. But, to be honest, I
don't see much difference, I would not spend the money on an OTT bulb
again, and would just go with the regular 13 watt bulb or whatever it
is.

...Linda

Old June 9th 05, 11:12 PM
lizard-gumbo

Linda D. wrote:

But, to be honest, I
don't see much difference, I would not spend the money on an OTT bulb
again, and would just go with the regular 13 watt bulb or whatever it
is.

I'm lost (sorry). You don't see much difference between what and what?
And the regular 13-watt Ott bulb? as opposed to what?
Old June 10th 05, 12:22 AM
Karen C - California

www.realgoods.com has Verilux bulbs which will fit into a regular lamp.

--
Karen C - California
Finished 5/31/05 - Stars of Merlin wedding sampler

WIP: 50th Anniversary sampler for my parents, July birthstone
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
blogging at http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old June 10th 05, 02:00 AM
bdiane

I bought a Phillips true light today at Walmart for a regular lamp for
under $4. I brought it home and compared it with my off in terms of
color range and it is pretty close.

Old June 10th 05, 07:17 AM
Linda D.

Sorry if I was confusing you... The lamp I have takes either a
Philips 13 watt compact fluorescent bulb *or* the 13 watt OTT bulb. I
spent money on the OTT bulb at Michael's (thank goodness for the 40%
off coupon) because I had heard how wonderful the light they gave off
was. But, I have found I actually prefer the Philips bulb. I feel it
gives off more light and a clearer light. The OTT bulb seems like a
softer light to me.

Maybe it's just 'me' because lots of needleworkers and quilters thing
the OTT bulbs/lamps are the best thing since sliced bread.

....Linda

Old June 10th 05, 07:06 PM
lizard-gumbo

bdiane wrote:

I bought a Phillips true light today at Walmart for a regular lamp for
under $4. I brought it home and compared it with my off in terms of
color range and it is pretty close.

Well, thinking this was a great idea to test, I got a Philips "Natural
Light Plus" bub (60 watts) and used it in my newly designated stitching
lamp. Didn't really care for it much and put my 100-watt incandescent
back in.

The natural bub cast shadows from the beads that hang from my lamp (it's
a Victorian-type thingie) all over my work and the wattage just didn't
seem enough.

So I guess I'll just stick with the good ol' incandescents, but THANK
YOU for saving me $35 to figure this out.

LG
Old June 10th 05, 08:49 PM
Brenda Lewis

I think the full-spectrum lights are meant to be used without a shade as
that would change the color and intensity of the light. Ideally they
would be in a lamp that will allow the light to be directed down right
onto the work area. I do like my Ott light (goose-neck floor lamp) for
this since it doesn't seem to get as hot as my incandescent floor lamp
and the lamp itself has a larger range of motion.

lizard-gumbo wrote:
Well, thinking this was a great idea to test, I got a Philips "Natural
Light Plus" bub (60 watts) and used it in my newly designated stitching
lamp. Didn't really care for it much and put my 100-watt incandescent
back in.

The natural bub cast shadows from the beads that hang from my lamp (it's
a Victorian-type thingie) all over my work and the wattage just didn't
seem enough.

So I guess I'll just stick with the good ol' incandescents, but THANK
YOU for saving me $35 to figure this out.

--
Brenda
NEW to Styx, classic to the world: Big Bang Theory
Old June 10th 05, 08:56 PM
lizard-gumbo

Brenda Lewis wrote:

I think the full-spectrum lights are meant to be used without a shade as
that would change the color and intensity of the light. Ideally they
would be in a lamp that will allow the light to be directed down right
onto the work area. I do like my Ott light (goose-neck floor lamp) for
this since it doesn't seem to get as hot as my incandescent floor lamp
and the lamp itself has a larger range of motion.

I hadn't really given that much thought; I just figured I could put a
bub in an existing fixture. In any case, I think I'll put one on my
wish list.

Thanks.

LG