Fitting, sewing, patterns, and useful stuff

Old October 4th 03, 08:39 AM

duh who wrote:

I don't have enough confidence or experience needed to do the type of
swapping you talk about. To me, I'd be afraid I'd end up getting
the equivalent of putting the wrong size sleeves to a different
armscye. I know we're not talking about sleeves here, but that kind
of not so evident mismatches that might not show up for me until I
put the final product on.

Look further down the road, hon. If you don't close your mind to that
being a possibility, it will happen, and sooner than you think.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old October 4th 03, 08:52 AM

duh who wrote:

From what I saw it was not what I wanted.

(whispering so nobody rushes there ahead of you) Somebody just
recommended a book by Adele Margolis. When I went to Ebay and searched
on her name to see if someone listed it there (they have it, but I think
that $70 is highway robbery so I won't buy it at that price) I also saw
a book by her on tailoring, and there were a number of copies that were
under $10. Sounds like it might be a valuable reference for you if the
author is so highly recommended.

Old October 4th 03, 01:03 PM
Mike Behrent

Dwight, I think your ISP might be having a routing problem. It happens. You
can try typing in the URL for Kwik-Sew manually. If that works and your
bookmark doesn't then your bookmark is just corrupted. It happens.
Mike in Wisconsin

www.kwiksew.com works just fine for me. Don't try the thumbnail
viewer....it's not nearly as good as the 'original' version.

It is dead in the water for me. I'm not even getting the main page now.

Dwight

Old October 4th 03, 01:52 PM
Irene

I guess I neglected to say--

I have never in 30 years of sewing used just ONE pattern to make a
garment. Either I adapted the instructions from another source
(usually a book), or I used the instructions and adapted the pieces
(usually changing the collar or sleeves).

I have to say that I got a lot of practice at the process that Janet
Arnold describes in her costume books (especially the
medieval/renaissance one). People have been making patterns for
clothes that same way for millenia for one obvious reason: EVERY BODY
IS DIFFERENT! EVERY BODY CHANGES!

Oh, yeah, one mo THE FIT CHANGES WITH THE CLOTH!!!

OK, now I'm going to stay out of online teaching sessions. I am a
firm believer in the hands-on, learn-it-right-from a skilled-teacher,
adult-education-class- is-wonderful, look-at-the-actual-process, and
I'm going to take my own advice.

--Irene

wrote in message ...
Fitting, sewing, patterns, and useful stuff

(duh who)
generous snipping
---
I just found some duffle coats on line. Nah, that's not the style
I'm looking for. I'm looking for a mandarin style jacket, but can't find
any patterns. Dang nab it. snip
Dwight
---
Ouch! (To snipped insults).
down your sewing road. Which leads to:
#3) To get the design and details you want, you'll often find you have
to cannibalize parts from other patterns. If you learn how to draft your

Old October 4th 03, 04:28 PM
duh who

"Mike Behrent" wrote in message
Dwight, I think your ISP might be having a routing problem. It happens.

You
can try typing in the URL for Kwik-Sew manually. If that works and your
bookmark doesn't then your bookmark is just corrupted. It happens.
Mike in Wisconsin

www.kwiksew.com works just fine for me. Don't try the thumbnail
viewer....it's not nearly as good as the 'original' version.

It is dead in the water for me. I'm not even getting the main page now.

This time I could get the main page, but when I clicked on the online
catalogue, which translates to this link:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/catalog/Frame.cfm

then it said page not found.

Same thing I've been getting.

Old October 4th 03, 08:15 PM
Celia Mitschelen

I just found some duffle coats on line. Nah, that's not the style I'm
looking for. I'm looking for a mandarin style jacket, but can't find any
patterns. Dang nab it.

Thanks for your offer to help on this though. I appreciate it.
Dwight

In the late 60's I made my son a Nehru jacket to take to college. They had
the stand-up collar and if you can find one you may like it as well as the
Mandarin style. It is more fitted.

Celia

Old October 4th 03, 08:25 PM
duh who

"Celia Mitschelen" wrote in message
ink.net...

I just found some duffle coats on line. Nah, that's not the style I'm
looking for. I'm looking for a mandarin style jacket, but can't find

any
patterns. Dang nab it.

Thanks for your offer to help on this though. I appreciate it.
Dwight

In the late 60's I made my son a Nehru jacket to take to college.

You are one cool mom!

They had
the stand-up collar and if you can find one you may like it as well as the
Mandarin style. It is more fitted.

These days, seems like the mandarin jackets are more in vogue. I did find a
women's mandarin pattern today, but I'm going to see what this Wild Ginger
software does for me first.

Old October 4th 03, 08:46 PM
Celia Mitschelen

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
duh who wrote:

From what I saw it was not what I wanted.

(whispering so nobody rushes there ahead of you) Somebody just
recommended a book by Adele Margolis. When I went to Ebay and searched
on her name to see if someone listed it there (they have it, but I think
that $70 is highway robbery so I won't buy it at that price) I also saw
a book by her on tailoring, and there were a number of copies that were
under $10. Sounds like it might be a valuable reference for you if the
author is so highly recommended.

Forget Ebay, try the used books sites. I looked on http://www.abebooks for
the Margolis book that was recommended a few days ago and found them
starting at $2. Of course there is still shipping but you have that on Ebay
as well. Book condition is generally described and I have been amazed at the
quality of the books I get from some of these sites.

Celia

Old October 5th 03, 12:33 AM
Emily

I order some from www.Halfpricebooks.com, although there are 2-3 stores
locally, they do not offer all the selections that are online.
Emily

Old October 5th 03, 01:56 AM

Celia Mitschelen wrote:

Forget Ebay, try the used books sites. I looked on http://www.abebooks for

Whoops, I meant half.com and my fingers typed something different.