Jean Repair/Need advice

Old February 9th 05, 07:00 PM
Tina

Default Jean Repair/Need advice

Ok, I have managed to make the patch for my jeans repair - boy, I can't
imagine making enough of those hexagons for an entire quilt! God bless
Grandma!

Anyway, now I need a bit of simple advice. Attaching it to the pants
leg. Should I just whip stitch around the edges (with thread), or
should I use embroidery floss and do something like a blanket stitch?
Would this perhaps make it more sturdy and able to stand up to wear
around the knee area?

http://community.webshots.com/album/270384580sfhpef

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tina

Old February 9th 05, 10:36 PM
Jessamy

I donīt think so but I donīt know how to answer your question hence my
silence

I donīt think that whip stitching will be easy to do nor do I think that
embroidery floss is the way to go either

see Iīm not much help am I?!

--
Jessamy
www.geocities.com/jess_ayad

Old February 9th 05, 11:51 PM
Barbara Raper

If this were mine, I would try to slide it under the SM needle and use a
satin stitch, or a close zig-zag stitch around the flower part. You might
need to sew part of it and then re-position it on your SM. I would try to
do it all using the SM. HTH
Barbara in FL & SC

Old February 10th 05, 02:23 AM
taria

If you open up the seam (the one that is not flat felled) then
you can easily use your machine to stitch the patches down.
A buttonhole stitch or zig zag would be fine. After its
stitched down just sew the seam back up.
Very cute patch!
Taria

Old February 10th 05, 02:33 AM
Tina

thanks Taria! I wondered about that when others said they would use
SM! But I had already dug in with a thick needle - so now that my
fingers have all been bandaged it's going ok. (I hate, hate thimbles!)
Actually, I really like the way it is looking. I am using three
strands of embroidery floss and doing blanket stitching (and pulling it
tight).

My son came home from school and saw it on the table - "Oh cool mom!
Will you do that to my jeans too!" LOL We discussed basketballs
instead of flowers........

Tina

Old February 10th 05, 02:54 AM
taria

When you son comes home and finds anything you are doing cool it has to
be really great BG
TAria

Old February 10th 05, 01:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Patched jeans? Shades of late 60s - early 70s.
All things come around again!
Have fun, PAT in VA/USA

Old February 10th 05, 01:44 PM
Tina

Ain't that the truth! My daughter came home from HS the other day and
told me her best friend just bought a pair of jeans for $200 !
Complete with holes! Can you imagine? Not even patched, just already
worn and holey! I would have given her some for FREE ! LOL

Tina