fabric paint - new user could use some tips

Old February 11th 05, 02:36 PM

Default fabric paint - new user could use some tips

I'm trying to decorate some t-shirts, and I am using fabric paint
(tulip dimensional paint is what I currently have).

I have made some templates with some clear plastic sheets that were
intended for templates. I tape the templates onto the t-shirt, and then
fill in the holes with paint.

The problem is that the paint is seeping underneath and not staying
within the lines.

Any recommendations for how I can have nice sharp edges on my designs?
It looks like I can't draw, and I want them to look nicer than that. I
totally ruined the first one, and I have tried 3 more, with varying
amounts of leakage.

Should I be using something heavier for the template? Or a different
paint?

Thanks.

Old February 12th 05, 06:05 AM

I think that I have the same kind. I bought it at walmart, and they had
a great selection of colors. It just seems to escape a little outside
my template. It has already escaped by the time the I finish the
t-shirt. And by that time, it is too late.

I think the problem is the template. I am doing a paw print, and there
are some large holes for the pads of the print, but very small areas
between them. So, not much is holding the template down in the middle.

Old February 12th 05, 03:46 PM
Sharon

I'm trying to decorate some t-shirts, and I am using fabric paint
(tulip dimensional paint is what I currently have).

I have made some templates with some clear plastic sheets that were
intended for templates. I tape the templates onto the t-shirt, and then
fill in the holes with paint.

The problem is that the paint is seeping underneath and not staying
within the lines.

Any recommendations for how I can have nice sharp edges on my designs?
It looks like I can't draw, and I want them to look nicer than that. I
totally ruined the first one, and I have tried 3 more, with varying
amounts of leakage.

Should I be using something heavier for the template? Or a different
paint?

Hi
I have done a lot of fabric painting in the past and have used the tulip
demensional many times.
I don't generally keep the template, or stencil or what ever on there. I
trace around with
either a pencil or one of those disappearing ink markers. Trace around the
markings with a
bead of paint, then let that dry. I have never had any problems with the
paint seeping. Then I go
back and fill in the center if that is the effect I'm looking for. If you
want to leave the template on there
then I would stretch out the shirt on a piece of cardboard, with plastic
wrap between the shirt
and board and tape it well in the back to keep it taut, (I do this for any
fabric painting), then tape your
template, or stencil down. Go around the outline of the openings, with a
bead of paint, then let it sit
undisturbed to dry before attempting to fill in the center. When I do the
centers I very often will us
a fabric brush to smooth it out, so the paint isn't too thick. If it is too
thick, in too big of an opening
it will crack over time, as it is washed.
Then when the shirt is done I leave if to set for a full 24 hours.
HTH
Sharon

Old September 10th 05, 09:44 AM
Jerald Houk

You might try spraying the stencil lightly with 3M Photo Mount spray.
This should hold it to the fabric while you paint it and can be reused again
and again.
Good Luck,
Jerry

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to decorate some t-shirts, and I am using fabric paint
(tulip dimensional paint is what I currently have).

I have made some templates with some clear plastic sheets that were
intended for templates. I tape the templates onto the t-shirt, and then
fill in the holes with paint.

The problem is that the paint is seeping underneath and not staying
within the lines.

Any recommendations for how I can have nice sharp edges on my designs?
It looks like I can't draw, and I want them to look nicer than that. I
totally ruined the first one, and I have tried 3 more, with varying
amounts of leakage.

Should I be using something heavier for the template? Or a different
paint?

Thanks.

Punch Needle Embroidery lula Needlework 48 October 6th 04 03:33 PM
Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM