Another PMC addict!

Old July 14th 03, 07:57 PM
KDK

Default Another PMC addict!

I got to take a PMC class Saturday - woo hoo is that stuff great. We only
worked with PMC + (which dries quick!). I made several pendants- a few of
which I really like and one I'm not so crazy about I need to finish
cleaning and polishing them (which led to the purchase of a Dremel
yesterday!). The "good" ones I'll add to my webshots page later.

We talked about the other forms of PMC- mostly the one that you can use in
a syringe. Our instructor brought some syringes back after lunch and told
us to just use the clay form to make slip and use that in the syringe
(cheaper).

I bought a package of PMC + and a package of standard to try out at home.
The really cool thing about the + is how fast it can be fired (10 minutes).
Our LBS will fire pieces for us so I can make stuff at home and have them
fire for me. wheee. So many ideas!!!!

And I got a great idea of how to make a bracelet to put one of my large LW
beads (a Paulette Insall bead) I bought on. That will be my next project.

Unrelated- I've been wanting to reply to lots of posts yesterday and today
but I developed a NASTY headache that pretty much out me out of commission.
It was bad enough that I didn't really sleep last night. One of those where
you don't want to DO anything, but if you don't do anything all you do is
notice how bad it hurts. I laid down for an hour or so earlier this
afternoon and actually fell asleep- and it's not hurting quite so bad now.
So be warned- I may get very talkative later today

Kathy K

Old July 14th 03, 08:20 PM
Dr. Sooz

I *love* PMC+!! It is da bomb! Learning to work fast is okay with me. I tire
easily, and need to work like a bunny. I just got my work back from the kiln
(PMC Tubes class, wowie!), and it's a lot more gorgeous than the stuff I made
in the beginner class. I seem to have gotten the hang of it, but look eagerly
to learning soooo much more.

We only
worked with PMC + (which dries quick!).

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
Christina Peterson

Sooz, I'm not sure what you mean by tube beads. Are they ones you made
around a straw, sometimes using textured rolled clay? I have one like that
made with clay rolled on corn husks which I really love. Because it didn't
have to be fired cool enough for glass, the PMC3 works fine for it. That's
easier to work with than PMC+.

It's so extremely dry, it was unusually difficult to use the clay here. It
will be worse in winter.

Tina

Old July 14th 03, 11:02 PM
Dr. Sooz

Sooz, I'm not sure what you mean by tube beads. Are they ones you made
around a straw, sometimes using textured rolled clay?

Hmm....We textured ours *after* rolling it (mine has birds and leaves on each
piece). These tube beads are seamless (it sounds impossible, doesn't it?).
Rolled on corn husks?-- those must be so cool!

It's so extremely dry, it was unusually difficult to use the clay here. It
will be worse in winter.

Oh my gosh, yes, I can see why you can't use PMC+. No way; it would dry before
you could do anything to it. I love it, though. My classes were 6 and 5 hours
(5 for the tubes -- well, 4 hours, since we broke for lunch and I sure took the
whole hour), not a lot of time, really. In the next year, I'm going to get a
kiln for sure. Maybe for a combo xmas/birthday thing. I am so sweet on
PMC....Sighhhhhh
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 14th 03, 11:08 PM
Dr. Sooz

There's an open studio tomorrow, where I took classes. I'll go there
tomorrow, if we don't go fishing.

My teacher lives in San Jose, so no open studio time around here (in Los Gatos,
yeah. Hah). At least, none with her. I'm hoping to take some more classes in
the area with other teachers. I want to make some earring stuff, and more
bracelet pieces -- and just MORE.

I did one curved tube with a bird in the front-middle, leaves, and a flower or
two -- plus a few teensy berries -- that I'm so in LOVE with! Then I saw these
big, fat chunky amazonite rondelles at my LBS.....they'd be perfect...... I
have to save my money for a little weekend getaway we've planned (our honeymoon
at last, SWOOON), so I can't buy 'em now. Maybe I can put them on hold. I
mean, they seem to like me there -- they gave me a 15% discount card "just
because we like you." Eeek!
~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 16th 03, 08:40 PM
Deirdre S.

Scuze me? What -is- this fire-breathing Hot Pot thing?

Deirdre

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:00:39 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

Christina Peterson wrote in message 1058213832.682079@prawn...
I got one of those little Hot Pots put haven't fired anything in it yet.

I got one too - then realized all I had on hand was PMC+! D'oh!

Soon as I get some PMC3 I'm going to try it - but the thought of those
flames shooting out of the top is kind of intimidating. I will be standing
by with an extinguisher the first time!

* TL *

Old July 16th 03, 11:11 PM
Christina Peterson

Sierra Thermal industries in Texas makes something called the "PMC Hot Pot
Kit". It looks kind of like one of those ceramic scent burners. It's about
4 or 5 inches in diameter, and the bottom is about 6" high. You fill the 1
1/2" "clay flower pot" with fuel similar to Sterno, place a wire mesh on it.
Dried PMC on that. Clay top over that. Light the fuel. It's done when the
fuel is burnt up. The chamber is very small. About the size of half a
medium sized orange. But only costs $50. I have not fired mine up yet.

It is made for PMC3. But can also fire PMC+. The PMC+ clay costs a little
more, and usually is fired at a lower temp so you can set glass beads in it.
At this higher temp, the glass would begin to slup and fuse. Which can also
be cool.

Tina

Old July 17th 03, 12:43 AM
KDK

Hmm. We were told the PMC3 fires at a lower temp and can be used for glass.
Maybe I wrote it down wrong

My LBS did not have any PMCIII so I bought + and standard.
I'm going to look into the hot pot thingy.

Old July 17th 03, 12:44 AM
KDK

True dat- I don't mind working fast either. Of course it probably did not
help that we had an overhead fan on and a standing fan on