can I block the off color and obscene messages?

Old June 30th 04, 11:49 PM
Melrosemiss

Default can I block the off color and obscene messages?

I am on AOL and I seem to be able to read the messages but still am not sure on
how to join. Could someone please let me know at . My name
is Nancy and I live in PA. I found this list from the wonderful Betsy
Devonshire Mysteries. I believe there are 5. Are there soon to be anymore/
Old July 1st 04, 12:10 AM
Dannielle

You are reading, and you posted a message...you joined! And there are 7
Betsy Devonshire mysteries out at the moment! Run, don't walk, to the
nearest bookstore and pick up the 2 you don't have!

Dannielle

PS - Welcome to the group!

Old July 1st 04, 01:59 AM
Ruthie

And a new one, in hardback, coming in November! (If I remember right)

Ruthie in CO who not only joined RCTN because of Betsy, but also started
doing needlework because of her - and Goddy, and Irene, and Jill (who
reminds me of my best friend), etc etc etc.

alowan art earthlink dort net

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old July 1st 04, 07:31 AM
Diane Hare

Melrosemiss wrote:
I am on AOL and I seem to be able to read the messages but still am not sure on
how to join.

Sort messages by "thread" and mark stuff that's not of interest as
"read". If you wish, then you can re-sort by date and just enjoy the
good stuff in "live" order. :-)

Diane Hare

Old July 1st 04, 07:39 AM
Dreams of Serenity

Ok...slightly dumb newbie here...but what is a Betsy Devonshire mysteries
....got as far as figuring it's a series of books...but I have never heard of
them...someone tell me more please...always on the look out for something
new to read

Mary

Old July 1st 04, 08:41 AM
Rhiannon

The books are by "Monica Ferris". Amazon.co.uk does list them. They
are "Crewel World", "Framed In Lace", "A Stitch In Time", "Unraveled
Sleeve", "A Murderous Yarn", "Hanging By A Thread", and "Cutwork".
"Crewel Yule" is scheduled for hardcover release in October. The author
occasionally posts here under the name Mary Pulver.

Dreams of Serenity wrote:
Ok...slightly dumb newbie here...but what is a Betsy Devonshire mysteries
...got as far as figuring it's a series of books...but I have never heard of
them...someone tell me more please...always on the look out for something
new to read

--
Brenda
"Nothing...I got nothing for sale."

Old July 1st 04, 11:40 AM
F.James Cripwell

Rhiannon ) writes:
The books are by "Monica Ferris". Amazon.co.uk does list them. They
are "Crewel World", "Framed In Lace", "A Stitch In Time", "Unraveled
Sleeve", "A Murderous Yarn", "Hanging By A Thread", and "Cutwork".
"Crewel Yule" is scheduled for hardcover release in October. The author
occasionally posts here under the name Mary Pulver.

Just to add a little more history. Several years ago, Mary Pulver
got a contract from her publisher to write 3 murder mysteries based on
needlework. She posted on rctn, asking if she could pick our collective
brains to get the right ambiance for these novels; for which everyone
eagerly agreed. I understand that she got a lot of very useful
information at that time. However, she has since done a lot more
needlework herself, and has not needed our help quite so much. The books have
been so successful, that she has written more than the original three. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old July 1st 04, 12:50 PM
Majmoxie

And as for the question in your header, AOL does have filters but they
aren't great. I'm not on AOL any longer so I don't remember exactly
where to go to set this up.

Go to Community in the toolbar.
Go down to Newsgroups.
Click on Set Preferences.
Click on Filtering.

This should help some.
Donna @ West Point

Democracy is the process by which the people choose the man who will get the
blame. - Laurence Peter
Old July 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Nancy in PA

Hi Mary. Sorry. I guess I thought that the members here would know of the
books since the author of them apparently is on the site too. They are a
series of mysteries about Betsy Devonshire who comes to own a needlework shop
(fictiotional) in Excelsior, MN after her sister was murdered. Not only did
she find out who murdered her sister, she solves the mystery in each of the
books. They are written by Monica Ferris (pseudonym) and in order a Crewel
World (name of shop), Framed in Lace, A Stitch in Time, Unraveled Sleeve, A
Murderous Yarn, Hanging by a Thread and Cutwork with Crewel Yule to be released
in hardback in October. Let me know if I can help you find these, since you
appear to be in the UK. Used copies of the first five can generally be found
atr http://myunicorn.com but maybe the UK Amazon would have them too. Nancy
Nancy in PA