It's arriced!

Old July 18th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default Clarification

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:51:41 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:16:09 +0000, Aaron Lewis wrote:

I think that for sauce Béarnaise, it is classic to pickle the tarragon in
vinegar for the winter.

snip
It does give a lovely flavour to vinegar or oil.

I make up a batch of salad dressing several times a year. All it takes is
one part lemon juice to 3 parts olive oil. Then peel one garlic clove and
put it into the bottom of the bottle (or whatever container you are using)
add a sprig of fresh tarragon, shake it well then let it sit in the fridge
for about a week.

By then the flavour should have developed. If you're "picky" you can
strain it as it makes it look better. I just leave it until it's all used
up - it doesn't usually last long!

Good Heavens! When I suggested doing that on a food preserving ng I was
attacked from all sides with threats of botulism :-) Didn't stop me of
course!

Mary

With all the bugs we've ingested since childhood we're probably immune.

When the boys were toddlers our family doctor was a good, old-fashioned,
country GP. He told me to let them out to play as the "first ton doesn't
harm them". It seems to have worked! :-)

Bernadette
Old July 18th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

[...]

Ah - a woman after my own heart! We in Britain aren't as careful as many
Americans.

When the boys were toddlers our family doctor was a good, old-fashioned,
country GP. He told me to let them out to play as the "first ton doesn't
harm them". It seems to have worked! :-)

I used to think that if the children got dirty they'd been enjoying
themselves. Sometimes I didn't see the blood until they washed :-)

Our old GP recommended gargling with salt water for every ill from morning
sickness to ingrowing toe-nails. I loved him!

Mary

Bernadette

Old July 18th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Margaret

[...]

My mother always said you "had to eat a peck of dirt before you die".
Didn't sound a lot until I found out that a peck was a measure (approx 8
litres, 4 quarts). Then it seemed quite a lot. But I think we ingested
quite a lot!!

Helena

Old July 18th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Margaret" wrote in message

My mother always said you "had to eat a peck of dirt before you die".
Didn't sound a lot until I found out that a peck was a measure (approx 8
litres, 4 quarts). Then it seemed quite a lot. But I think we ingested
quite a lot!!

Helena

We weren't as posh as that, it was (in Yorkshire) a peck o' muck :-)

We spent all our time trying to achieve it! I reckon one of our sons,
Nathan, managed it before he went to school. He's probably the most robust
of all of us and that's saying a lot!

Mary