Another PMC addict!

Old July 17th 03, 03:40 AM
Christina Peterson

You're right. It's the "Three" that costs more (or rather, you get less of
it). That's how I remember which can be used with glass.

Tina

"KDK" wrote in message
. ..
Hmm. We were told the PMC3 fires at a lower temp and can be used for

glass.
Maybe I wrote it down wrong

My LBS did not have any PMCIII so I bought + and standard.
I'm going to look into the hot pot thingy.

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
Sierra Thermal industries in Texas makes something called the "PMC Hot

Pot
Kit". It looks kind of like one of those ceramic scent burners. It's

about
4 or 5 inches in diameter, and the bottom is about 6" high. You fill

the
1
1/2" "clay flower pot" with fuel similar to Sterno, place a wire mesh on

it.
Dried PMC on that. Clay top over that. Light the fuel. It's done when

the
fuel is burnt up. The chamber is very small. About the size of half a
medium sized orange. But only costs $50. I have not fired mine up yet.

It is made for PMC3. But can also fire PMC+. The PMC+ clay costs a

little
more, and usually is fired at a lower temp so you can set glass beads in

it.
At this higher temp, the glass would begin to slup and fuse. Which can

also
be cool.

Tina

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Scuze me? What -is- this fire-breathing Hot Pot thing?

Deirdre

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:00:39 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

Christina Peterson wrote in message 1058213832.682079@prawn...
I got one of those little Hot Pots put haven't fired anything in it

yet.

I got one too - then realized all I had on hand was PMC+! D'oh!

Soon as I get some PMC3 I'm going to try it - but the thought of

those
flames shooting out of the top is kind of intimidating. I will be

standing
by with an extinguisher the first time!

* TL *

Old July 17th 03, 07:32 AM
Dr. Sooz

We used PMC+ for glass -- worked just fine.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 17th 03, 09:49 PM
Deirdre S.

I'll be jiggered. Fascinating.

Deirdre

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:11:31 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

Deirdre S. wrote in message ...

Scuze me? What -is- this fire-breathing Hot Pot thing?

http://www.pmcsupply.com/hotpot.html

* TL *

Old July 17th 03, 10:20 PM
KDK

You answered it- basically what type of glass. So fused dichroic pieces
would probably be ok to use? We didn't get to play with any stones or class
in class.

Well 1 person did - she made round pieces (maybe earrings?) from a mold and
was upset because they "looked like breasts". So she put a glass bead on
top- the um "pointy" part. The bead melted in the kiln, but still looked
cool.

I want to try some synthetic stones next. Have to have that sparkle!!

Kathy K

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
We used fused glass and manmade stones with PMC+, and it worked

beautifully --
what exactly did you want to know?

Cool. More details please?

~~
Sooz
-------

Old July 17th 03, 11:21 PM
Dr. Sooz

Our teacher said fused glass -- dichro, etc. -- was cool to use in PMC+. I am
now planning a different attitude toward cabochons made of fused glass at the
next bead show, you betcha! She also had man-made crystal stones for us to
use in the class -- we bought them from her, and they were fun to use. (Though
I ended up keeping mine and haven't used 'em yet.)

Old July 18th 03, 03:45 AM
Christina Peterson

The "peridot" I used turned colors when it got heat treated (fired), even
though it was one that was brought in specifically for PMC. I believe it
was a colored CZ.

Tina

Old July 18th 03, 08:24 AM
Tante Lina

Christina Peterson wrote in message 1058496330.351955@prawn...
The "peridot" I used turned colors when it got heat treated (fired), even
though it was one that was brought in specifically for PMC. I believe it
was a colored CZ.

I was surprised to see that in the Rio gems catalog, none of the peridots
were marked safe for firing in place. Maybe it *was* a peridot.

* TL *