OT - Bedraggled and defeated and looking for ideas - Long and OT

Old August 31st 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

Default OT - Bedraggled and defeated and looking for ideas - Long and OT

Y'all really should listen to yourself when you don't feel up to going into
work. I didn't feel like it as I managed to pick up a tummy bug and spent
most of the morning before leaving in the loo. I was also feeling tired
(not sleeping well) and low (dramas at work involving the principal - my
boss - and one of the other workers who I'm good friends with and have been
loyal too giving her support, encouragement and advice as she is not happy
with the principal. The principal all but told me on monday that said
worker has been stabbing me and others in the back. To say I was shocked
was an understatement. Now said worker is wantng to go for coffee on
monday - I've agreed but am not sure whether to bring up what was said to
me, leave it alone, prettend nothing has happened? Oy Vey! perhaps I'll
have a migraine on monday.....).

Anyway the day went from bad to worse. We have a boy in prep (which is
first year of primary (elementary?) school - where kids are 5 or 6 years
old) who is .....how do you put it nicely? he is the size of your average
4th grader not so much in height but in width. He should be wearing a size
5 or six but is wearing a size 20 shorts and an adult small t-shirt. The
poor love can barely stand or sit on his own. He is of Maori descent and
has been treated like a prince at home - indulged, spoiled, mollycoddled.
His mother has little to do with him or his elder sister (she is in the year
above) and they are all but raised by their grandparents.

He is a right royal pain at school, bullying the other kids, tantrums when
things don't go his way, which we are trying to deal with using time out,
removal from the other kids plus rewarding the good behaviour. Our guidance
counsellor hit the nail on the head when he said "It'd be easier to treat
him like a 5 year old if he LOOKED like one - this kid could be playing
front row forward for the All Blacks!).

The worst thing is he is still probably 50% not toilet trained. About 2/5
days he will have accidents - either wee or poo, sometimes both. Those are
the days we know about anyway. The problem is he cannot clean himself
properly because of his size and by law we are not allowed to - quite
frankly I don't *want* too either. We (read I) have to keep him in sick bay
until we (read I) can contact grandpa to bring a change of clothes and clean
him. Usually he will take him home and then bring him back, but often the
kid doesn't come back. We have limited stocks of loan clothing and not much
that will fit him, esp undies.

He stood out in the yard at lunch today and let rip. The yard duty teacher
bought him into sick bay and put him in the toilet to clean himself while we
(read I) supervised and called home. He ended up doing more number 2 in the
toileet and refused to put on the tracksuit pants we'd found because we
couldn't supply undies as well. Fine, stay til grandpa comes. Grandpa
arrived huffing and puffing that he never did this at home and dragged
grandma in to clean him. After that he went back to class. Never mind
leaving thebathroom with poo everywhere!!

What can I do, what ideas have you got to try and get this boy toilet
trained? I'm at my wit's end. We've asked them to supply us with a change
of clothes for him and they've said that they will but most of the time what
they say and what they do......

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) reaching for the ice
cream, jelly, cream bickies, you name it and crawling beneath the covers....

Old August 31st 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
julia sidebottom

Here in the States where I live things are a bit different. My grand
daughter has some special needs and one of the criteria before going into
kindergarten is that she needed to be fully potty trained. Because she
started school when she was very young (not quite 3) the teachers and
teacher aids were allowed to change her diapers and clothing if necessary.
Of course every school district here has different rules but the district
I live in as well as my daughter's district this rule applies to every
child. If the child starts regular school (kindergarten or higher) and is
not potty trained the child can be pulled out of school. The district has
to provide a home school program if appropriate dependent on the child's age
or special needs if any exist. If not the child will have to start school
again the next year. The only other rule there is that the child must be in
school by age 7.
I wish you a lot of luck on this one. It can't be easy.
julia

Old August 31st 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Sharon Harper wrote:

[...]

Move it up a level and involve social services. School should not have
to deal with this. It's a different matter with kids with special needs
who have a carer in school with them. For safety reasons (yours as much
as his) you should not be dealing with this. Never touch him without
rubber gloves, for a start!

It sounds like it might be a behaviour issue if he doesn't do this at
home: a control thing - he cannot make you, the adults, do what he wants
any other way. Make it clear to the parents/guardians/those who have
care and control of him that this is THEIR problem, and you, the school
staff, will not be cleaning up after him. Any mess he/they leave after
a session will be cleaned professionally and the charge passed directly
to them. And then do that! You may only have to charge them once...

Had a kid in one school who made a mess like this a few times (and we're
talking 11-15 YO's here!). Caretaker caught him at it and the school
called in the professionals (firm who deal with things like this for
public lavatories and sewage spills if a honey wagon crashes... ) and
passed the bill to the parents. It didn't happen again! Cleaning and
sterilizing the boy's lavatories cost them a couple of hundred quid.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 31st 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

No thoughts on how to survive your problem child but I do have some ideas
about your principal and your friend. I once worked for a man with a
strange management philosphy. He believed that his employees worked harder
if they were not wasting his time being friendly. I took the job only
because I believed I could keep up 'and' be allowed to leave work in time to
pick up our children from school. I accepted 3/4 of the beginner salary to
compensate for only being at the job for 6 hours instead of 8.
It all worked fine. Except. One day he called me in and told me that
all the other workers were complaining bitterly about my leaving early every
day. At first, I was hurt that they would complain about me behind my back.
Later, and calmly, I realized that they were not having to do my work
and it was easy for me to keep up. They were not working for reduced pay, I
was; and they didn't give a happy hoot when I left. The boss was just
trying to stir up trouble and I didn't let him use me to do it.
That was long, I know, but all of that to say this - it just could be
that your principal is weird too. Perhaps your principal has motivations
you don't know about. Sharon, I would just let the remarks about your
fellow worker back-stabbing you go. You'll want to be careful until you
figure that one out. If you notice arrows or knife hilts poking out of your
shoulders, you'll know the principal was being kind. Sounds suspicious to
me. Polly

Old August 31st 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

(((Sharon)))
This child has problems and needs help that a school cannot give. Either he
is physically unable to control his bladder and bowels and needs medical
attention (might be a hormone issue that could be fixed). Or he absolutely
hates being in school and needs counseling, along with his immediate family.
I'd guess the latter; he sounds dreadfully unhappy. The others surely tease
him, and he responds by bullying -of course he hates school! Medical
attention is necessary anyway for the weight problem -overweight is just as
much malnutrition as underweight, or there might be a medical issue there as
well.
Roberta in D

Old August 31st 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

I have found that it is common for caregivers to deny that
unacceptable behaviors occur at home. It usually means that they don't
find them unacceptable. It is also easy to get upset with the child
and lose sight of the fact that the origin of the problems are much
deeper than that. He is just a reflection of what has been modeled for
him, especially without support on the homefront. The best thing I can
recommend is just do what you are supposed to do and no more. Do not
put yourself in contact with body wastes unless you have had specific
training and are authorized to do so.

We have one student, entering 4th grade (age 9) whose mother meets him
at the bus stop and carries him into the house so he doesn't have to
walk. She also cuts his food and feeds it to him at the dinner table.
Is it suprising that this kid doesn't do anything for himself?

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old August 31st 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Here a normal child is expected to be able to perform his or her
bathroom duties alone in a bathroom. If the child can't, he or she is
sent home until this is learned. An occasional accident is overlooked
in kindergarten, but several times per week is not considered as an
occasional accident.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 31st 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
TerriLee in WA \(state\)

{{{{{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}}} I don't have any good suggestions, but hugs and
prayers for a difficult situation on the way from WA state.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

Old August 31st 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

(((Sharon))) That boy needs more help than just being toilet trained. I'm
surprised he's allowed to attend school since he doesn't use the toilet all
the time. Someone needs to have a long talk with the grandparents.
Preferably a psychologist.

--
Mary
:
[...]
: --
: Sharon from Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) reaching for the ice
: cream, jelly, cream bickies, you name it and crawling beneath the
covers....
: http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shazrules/my_photos (same as website but
: quicker)
:
:

Old August 31st 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

wrote:

Y'all really should listen to yourself when you don't feel up to going into
work. I didn't feel like it as I managed to pick up a tummy bug and spent
most of the morning before leaving in the loo. I was also feeling tired
(not sleeping well) and low (dramas at work involving the principal - my
boss - and one of the other workers who I'm good friends with and have been
loyal too giving her support, encouragement and advice as she is not happy
with the principal. The principal all but told me on monday that said
worker has been stabbing me and others in the back. To say I was shocked
was an understatement. Now said worker is wantng to go for coffee on
monday - I've agreed but am not sure whether to bring up what was said to
me, leave it alone, prettend nothing has happened? Oy Vey! perhaps I'll
have a migraine on monday.....).

Ignore it or be sucked into the drama.
Sounds like somebody is looking to choose up sides and play dodgeball.
Dodgeball really bites when it is played in an office.
Have coffee and watch out for balls the principal may aim at your
head.

(CHOMP)

What can I do, what ideas have you got to try and get this boy toilet
trained? I'm at my wit's end. We've asked them to supply us with a change
of clothes for him and they've said that they will but most of the time what
they say and what they do......

I am assuming that all the higher ups and the school psychologist have
been brought in on this. You at least need to contact the
psychologist and ask some questions about what your behavior and that
of your coworkers should be when interacting with this child.
Where I live a kid cannot start school without being potty trained,
unless they are in special ed. Obviously he is either not fully
trained or there is a problem. This kid's troubles could be a severe
case of nerves, some mild physical difficulty, or it could be more
serious. Could be he is doing this in the hopes that he gets chucked
out of school for it.
Any road, this is something that the psychologist and admin should be
dealing with. Talk to the boy's teacher and get her to give the people
whose job this actually is a kick start.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.