Glaze prettier inside cups and jars

Old January 17th 04, 06:52 PM
CNB

Default Glaze prettier inside cups and jars

Has anyone noticed that their cups and jars, etc. look better on the inside
than the outside. I find on many of mine that the colors are prettier,
brighter. It seems that the glaze may be thicker. ?? I was also wondering
if it would have to do with a temperature difference from the outside to the
inside of the ware. Is there such a thing? This is happening on dipped
bisque which is confusing to me. I do ^6 ox electric kiln - cones are bent
to proper cone 6
Any comments?
Thanks
Crystal

Old January 17th 04, 10:51 PM
GaSeku

Yes, I have. If a piece is dipped I don't think it would be thickness. I have a
feeling it has something to do with heat and/or air circulation. I just made my
first test batch of Waterfall Brown from the book Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. The
outside of one piece looked completely different from the inside of another.
I wish I could duplicate the one on the inside. I like it a lot better. The
inside one was a pot with a lid. I fired it with the lid on so it had basically
no circulation. It probably cooled a lot slower, too. I'd be interested in
hearing other's theories.
Gaye
Old January 18th 04, 02:54 PM
CNB

That's funny. I'm also mixing some of the glazes from "Mastering Cone 6". I
haven't mixed the Waterfall Brown yet but I love that glaze in the book. We
will have to start up another subject thread on the glazes in the book. I'ts
been awhile since I've snuck around on this list. I will have to check for
some recent discussion on that subject. Yes I have the same feeling and I
would like to know how to correct it. Hopefully someone has the answers.
It's nice to know I'm not alone on this. The ones that I'm talking about
either had no lid or fired without the lid. I usually only bisque fire with
lid on so that I can glaze the edges. I could see the glaze being thicker on
the inside if there was a rim flaring in that would hold more glaze in when
turned over, but I have some where the rims were either flared out or
straight and they still look nicer on the inside.

Old January 18th 04, 07:11 PM
GaSeku

I am trying to teach myself patience and use test tiles, but it's not working.
I always test on actual pieces. I may start testing on bowls so I can try
several glazes at once and, if they run, they'll run IN the bowl. Gaye
Old January 18th 04, 07:51 PM
Slgraber

it has to do with more retained & reflected heat from the firing. if you can
pack your kiln "really densly" you get similar results on the outside. if you
can put your pieces into a sagar you'll also get similar results to the outside
of pieces. break a vase open and you'll see beautigul inside glaze surfaces
that you can't see without having broken the vase.

the piece is actually exposed to different levels of heat in the fire - the
outside "seeing" different heat from the inside.

slow down the firing speed, slow down the cooling speed helps even out
inside-to-outside glaze differences if you can control these aspects of the
fire.

steve

Subject: Glaze prettier inside cups and jars

Old January 19th 04, 01:38 AM
GaSeku

Ok, good idea. Let's go ahead and start the topic. Waterfall Brown is the only
one I have tried so far. I overfired it so I can't really say too much, except
it looks liek it can be overfired and still look pretty much like the photo. My
suggestion would be to put it ona textured surface for a better result. Mine
was on a smooth bowl. Gaye
Old January 19th 04, 01:39 AM
GaSeku

Thanks Steve! The mystery is solved then. My kiln wasn't packed by any means,
but it's sure something I'll keep in mind. Gaye
Old January 19th 04, 12:29 PM
A&V

I also think it has to do with slower cooling.I usually soak the kiln at the
top temperature to give the glazes time to melt and notice big difference
comparing to fast firing and shut down as soon as the temperature is reached
at the thermocouple. ( I fire electric)
runny glazes also end up thicker on the bottom which affects the look
just my two cents..
Andrea

Old January 20th 04, 01:39 AM
CNB

My kiln wasn't pack densely either. Well the space shelf space was used up
but I tried to stagger tall and short items so there would be more
circulation. Maybe I should try all items the same height on each shelf. I
don't really have the ability to fire slower once I switch on high (electric
kiln with kiln sitter) but I will try leaving the switch on medium
longer. I only did a 15 minute soak and I did manually slow cool the batch.
I stop the kiln from switching off by the sitter and switch it from high to
medium for a couple hours then med/low. etc. Guess I will try readjusting my
firing schedule and see what happens.
Thanks,
Crystal