AD-Sarajane's new auctions

Old December 28th 04, 03:22 AM
Sjpolyclay

Default AD-Sarajane's new auctions

oh....I've been rearranging, getting ready for a big photo session which meant
CLEANING...ickkkkk...but in the process, I now have lots of things set aside
for auctioning off. Here's the first nine lots---including lots of beads,
earrings, a face cabochon and pins. And a really cool miniature faux Wedgewood
teaset. More to come!
http://snipurl.com/aiid
tell me what you think of them, please!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old December 28th 04, 12:21 PM
Diana Curtis

I think they are beautiful. The tea set sends me ... the Wedgewood reminds
me of my grandma. It makes me want to start working on a dollhouse for Meg.
The beads are incredible!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old December 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Sjpolyclay

Thank you Diana!

BTW--in with the bead from the last auction, you will find three cane
slices--my very first three face canes. I was sorting through the cane slice
box last week and thought you might like them. They are VERY old---probably 16
years at least--and show that we all start somewhere!!

Old December 28th 04, 05:02 PM
Diana Curtis

Hey, thats so cool, thank you! You realize this means I must send you a
slice from my first face cane... shes fun. It almost turned out the way I
wanted, except for the eyes.
I cant wait to see both the slices and the bead. And then Im looking forward
to creating around your work. I wonder ... yep.. Im just sitting here
wondering... lol...
Diana, and pondering...

Old December 28th 04, 05:47 PM
Sjpolyclay

You realize this means I must send you a
slice from my first face cane... shes fun. It almost turned out the way I
wanted, except for the eyes.

mine looks very Thurber-esque....

Old December 28th 04, 06:06 PM
Diana Curtis

As a long time Thurber fan I can hardly wait to see them. What were you
aiming for?
Mine looks like a flapper girl. Sort of... on one side... then the other
side she looks .. well.. you decide. :-)
Diana

Old December 28th 04, 09:32 PM
Sjpolyclay

As a long time Thurber fan I can hardly wait to see them. What were you
aiming for?

aiming for? wellllllllllll.....this was back---way back--when I first noticed
that you could make pattern-y things with the colors. I didnt even know the
name for it then, just that some of my smooshed up and cut leftoverchunks
looked cool, and maybe it could be manipulated??? well yes, it could, and then
I saw an article by Tory Hughes in that month's issue of Ornament, and she
talked about "millefiore canes" and that was that; I knew I could get better at
it. So I started to play with it that way....and those slices are from that
learning curve, starting with form and color, moving on to line (I'd run out of
color by then....hadda get MORE!!!!! Luckily the Clay Factory was only about 5
minutes away.)

Old December 29th 04, 04:32 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats neat. I dont know that I would have thought of canes on my own.
I started with the original bulk white sculpey... I wanted to make dollhouse
people. There was quite a learning curve with that stuff, so much I didnt
know and the box didnt say, like how it stays soft till its cool. I kept
baking and baking that stuff till it was brown. lol
What was your first experience with polyclay?
Diana

Old December 31st 04, 02:42 AM
Sjpolyclay

What was your first experience with polyclay?

actually its just like yours!!! I came across original white bulk sculpey and
thought, cool, finally something better than porcelain to make doll heads and
hands with...the stuff was awful, turned brown and bubbly even at the "correct"
temp ( who knew from thermometers, back then??) and I threw the whole mess
away.

QUITE a few years later---in the 80's instead of 70's, I came upon an ad in
Clotilde's ribbons and sewing findings for a sampler pack of Fimo. 20 or so
thumbsized colorful minichunks.....I loved it. I put all the
flesh/white/trans/ochre bits together and made my first dolls. You can see 'em
on my Dolls page, they are the Sleeping Beauty set. It was another year or so
before I figured out you could do beads, my first blob is SOOOOOOOOO ugly we
hang it on the xmas tree as a reminder!!! Clotilde's is still a fab source for
ribbons, sewing notions, and a lot of way cool tools and books.

http://www.clotilde.com/cl/
http://www.polyclay.com/dolls.htm

Old January 2nd 05, 12:20 AM
Diana Curtis

I love Clothildes... the name makes it hard to find online, with a minimal
spelling error its nie on impossible.
I got the lady bead, and your original face canes. I would snicker except
that I recognize that my first attempts had the years of experience and
online tutorials of others helping me avoid some of the challenges of
proportion, etc. Im hanging on to your face slices. They will help me to
remember to feel grateful to the poly artists who share generously with the
up and comers. Thank you.
I have been looking online all evening for just the right beads to
compliment your lady. Ill let you know what I find when it jumps out at me.
What is the nicest thing about having this bead here to hold and examine
is to be able to really see and understand the work that goes into creating
them. There isnt just a single cane slice, or I miss my guess. This is going
to be a fun challenge for me. Im considering myself lucky to have gotten
such a good deal... thanks SJ.
Diana