PING Taria OT

Old September 27th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default PING Taria OT

Taria-

Last winter you told me about an insulating backing product by the yard to
make insulated Roman window shades. Could you tell me again, please....
both what it's called and where you buy it? I just called around for
propane gas prices and I'm going to have to get *real* serious about
conserving heat this winter. The prices really frightened me. = :-O

Thanks!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 27th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

This stuff helps a lot. I get it local but I am sure this is the same
stuff:
http://www.fabricguru.com/cart/index..._id=812&page=1

Fabric Guru are great folk to buy from. Never had
a problem with them and have bought a bunch.

I have not used the Warm Window products but I think Butterfly had good
luck with that. It is really pricey though. I don't know how it would work
for a roman shade. The Blackout lining worked well for me.
Stay warm.
Taria

Old September 27th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Not Taria, but Warm Window (from the Warm Co., makers of Warm 'n'
Natural, etc.) is designed for making Roman shades. It is a bit
costly, but the whole concept is well thought out and fairly easy to
do. Part of the system involves magnet strips to help hold the edges/
bottom of the shade to the window frame. Makes it dark, but really
helps insulate.

Good luck,
Pati, in Phx (haven't used it, but used to sell it. Check the Warm Co.
website for where to get it.)

Old September 27th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Can't do it with Warm Window- I have 48 windows in this house and I hope to
get some type of insulating blind on most of them. Yikes! But thanks for
the info. (I'm sure grateful for my large stash- I don't have to buy much
other than the cords and the insulating stuff.)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 27th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If you're going to leave the shades down all winter and/or there are
rooms you're not using much, consider cutting a piece of styrofoam
insulation to fit inside the window casing. Then a sheet of plastic over
the top. Or cover the styrofoam with fabric and wedge into the window
casing. Even covering the window with clear plastic (either inside or
outside) will keep out a lot of the cold. There is also rope putty; use
that to seal the cracks around the window frames. Caulking and
weatherstripping will pay off.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old September 28th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

How many rooms in your house do you actually use? Can you close a few off
during the coldest months? We used to close off the registers and then put
rugs over them to help force the heat into the rooms we were living in. (At
the time we were renting a 100 year old farmhouse -- lots of room but when
the winter wind blew -- so did the curtains!)

I'm sure you've probably heard of the Scotch plastic stuff you tape up onto
the windows then use your blow dryer to tighten it up. Looks almost like
"glass" -- very clear and easy to see through. We used to use it all the
time -- I assume they still make it.

What we ended up doing was getting a Wood stove -- and boy did it heat the
house. With all of the excess rooms closed off -- We could keep the
thermostat at like 55 or 60 and the wood stove kept the living room, dining
room and kitchen plenty warm.

Good luck and here's to having a mild winter!

--
Kate in MI

Old September 28th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I close off the upstairs (2 bedrooms and a bath) and the front of the main
level (living room and 1/2 bath). I use the rest of the house. It's 95
y.o. and last year we had a really, really cold month. My electric and
propane for the month was just under $850- OUCH!!! I've done insulating
and weather-stripping and added a foundation under the 13X45 master suite.
Now I'm getting ready to make insulated Roman blinds for all the windows I
can. I'm determined to not freeze this winter and still have more
'moderate' heating bills.

And I added two unvented propane fireplaces- 99.8% efficiency rating- and
they will heat the whole house in case of an electric outage. I'm
trying.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 28th 10, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

Good for you in really making admirable attempts. I don't have much to
say but I do cover our back door with plastic stuff. Door doesn't close
properly, and can't get a new one as it's an odd size plus a few
different other reasons. On top of that though we got some tea cup hooks
and we hang an old blanket over it. Before the blanket but with the
plastic if you walked by that area you could still feel the cold bad.
With the blanket you feel nothing. Might be worth a shot on the rooms
you don't get to right away.
Good Luck
Joanna

Old September 28th 10, 09:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

DD1 used this stuff on her windows last winter. She said it really
helped:
http://saving-energy.suite101.com/ar...dow_insulation

Theoretically, the plastic sheet is re-usable if you're careful, but
you'd have to get new adhesive strips.
Roberta in D

Old September 28th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I've had the same experience, Many rooms/ old house/ wind through the
windows/ etc., used the same stuff.

Then we moved into the new house, twin pane windows, super insulated,
etc. I put Scotch stuff on the full window screens and reinstalled
the screens, tada triple pane windows.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:33:54 -0400, "Kate in MI"
wrote:

[...]

OT ping Taria Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 13 December 30th 09 03:58 AM
Ping Taria Gen Quilting 0 October 3rd 09 10:18 PM
Ping Taria Tutu Haynes-Smart Quilting 1 August 18th 09 06:47 PM
OT Ping Taria Leslie in MO Quilting 1 February 24th 05 08:48 PM
OT - Taria Polly Esther Quilting 3 January 17th 04 10:25 PM