3 Bags Full

Old September 29th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default 3 Bags Full

Here is a picture of the bags that caused my faithful Bernina 1008 to
hick-up. They did get completed and sent off to new homes, but it gave
me a lesson in humility, when I tried to abuse my poor machine in
order to complete them.
Never again will I try this sort of thing on a poor unsuspecting
domestic household machine. The 2 smaller ones are more personally
sized at the direction of my wife. She then promptly confiscated them
and took them off to her office and I haven't seen them since, except
to take them out on loan to make this picture. What is a guy to do?
John
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...40086195183602
Old September 29th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_3_]

I love them all, too bad you have to retire from making more. You do
such wonderful work. But I'm sure you'll find something to fill the void.
Take Care
Joanna

Old September 29th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Just beautiful, John!

If you need a good strong 'home commercial' straight stutcher,
consider getting something like a Juki TL98q! They are GREAT machines
that pack more punch than the typical domestic model. I LOVE mine.

-Irene

Old September 29th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
Here is a picture of the bags that caused my faithful Bernina 1008 to
hick-up. They did get completed and sent off to new homes, but it gave
me a lesson in humility, when I tried to abuse my poor machine in
order to complete them.
Never again will I try this sort of thing on a poor unsuspecting
domestic household machine. The 2 smaller ones are more personally
sized at the direction of my wife. She then promptly confiscated them
and took them off to her office and I haven't seen them since, *except
to take them out on loan to make this picture. What is a guy to do?
John
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55224400...

I have had a Janome 1600 for a number of years, and I know what you
mean about that type of machine. But what I was doing was beyond that
even. I discussed the needs with a number of industrial machine
vendors and each one of them stated the need for a compound walking
foot for that type of usage. Sadly I can't see my way clear to getting
one for just hobby uses. And so It goes.
John
Old September 30th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Sep 29, 5:05*pm, John wrote:
Here is a picture of the bags that caused my faithful Bernina 1008 to
hick-up. They did get completed and sent off to new homes, but it gave
me a lesson in humility, when I tried to abuse my poor machine in
order to complete them.
Never again will I try this sort of thing on a poor unsuspecting
domestic household machine. The 2 smaller ones are more personally
sized at the direction of my wife. She then promptly confiscated them
and took them off to her office and I haven't seen them since, *except
to take them out on loan to make this picture. What is a guy to do?
Johnhttp://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33/RecentItemsOfInterest#55224400....

John,
Lovely work as always. Have you tried looking on Craigslist for a
true (older)commercial machine? Granted, sometimes they can be pricey
but locally I've seen them for as low as $100 in working order (or at
least claiming to be). Even if it's a bit more than that it's
probably cheaper than the domestic machine repair(s). Might be worth
a look.

Kim in soon to be rainy (thankfully)NJ
Old September 30th 10, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 29, 11:01*pm, AuntK wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:05*pm, John wrote:

[...]

A friend of my wife's just got a really good deal on a medium to
heavyweight industrial upholstery sewing machine that had been used
very little. She started redoing some of her furniture, and this thing
is just the ticket. I wish I had found it first. We offered to "store"
it for her in our upstairs room when they go to Arizona for the
winter. She just laughed. I think she paid about $100 or so, for it.
Why am I never around when those things happen?
John
Old September 30th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
betsey

On Sep 29, 5:05*pm, John wrote:
Here is a picture of the bags that caused my faithful Bernina 1008 to
hick-up. They did get completed and sent off to new homes, but it gave
me a lesson in humility, when I tried to abuse my poor machine in
order to complete them.
Never again will I try this sort of thing on a poor unsuspecting
domestic household machine. The 2 smaller ones are more personally
sized at the direction of my wife. She then promptly confiscated them
and took them off to her office and I haven't seen them since, *except
to take them out on loan to make this picture. What is a guy to do?
Johnhttp://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33/RecentItemsOfInterest#55224400....

those are really lovely...is it your own pattern?

as far as sewing machines...craigslist is a wonderful tool.
also....look for any business' that do industrial sewing--MANY of them
have downsized dramatically and will have machines sitting around
doing nothing....you might be able to get one at a very good price.

betsey
Old September 30th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Martha[_6_]

John, those are lovely!

Martha
Old September 30th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 30, 7:52*am, betsey wrote:
On Sep 29, 5:05*pm, John wrote:

[...]

No pattern, other than my own evolved design. I saw a similar bag in a
catalog, some time ago. I said, I can do that, and after a few hours
of effort, I did the first one. Since then I have refined the style. I
have eliminated the outside pockets, and increased the inside pockets.
The outside pockets are nice looking, but because sometimes the user
causes the bag to rotate to a negative horizontal position, it makes
for the potential for dumping that cell phone out on the ground. Not a
good design idea. Of course you could put a flap on the outside
pockets, but that just adds another level of detail, to an already
full palate of features. Of course, if that is what you want then
there is no reason you couldn't do it. You would have to figure out
how to sew the outside pocket in place without compromising the inside
pockets. Just another wrinkle to work out really. But I tell you,
every element you add, adds another level of thickness to the whole
pkg. If you go with light weight fabric, the whole bag is kind of
sloppy feeling. If you use nice thick cotton and fold over and encase
the seams and use thick batting, and interfacing on the strap, each
element adds a new bit of thickness, when you go to closing those
seams up. Therein lies my problem, vis-a-vis my domestic sewing
machine. Finding the right balance between nice feeling cotton fabric
and thin flimsy fabric, is the whole game. Therein lies perfection,
and it is an elusive quest. But at least you get a lot of bags until
you find the correct mix. Hope this helps.
John

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three Bags Full. John Sewing 16 February 9th 10 01:39 PM
Yes Sir, Yes sir, Three Bags Full. John Quilting 16 February 8th 10 03:55 PM
Bags, Bags, Bags (and pictures to match) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 4 May 14th 09 09:50 PM
OT... full nest again maryd Quilting 10 August 1st 05 12:39 AM
Ok, I'm done...my stable is full M. Wetmore Quilting 5 December 17th 03 09:30 PM