ring alteration - K -> G ?

Old December 30th 03, 05:45 PM
Terry Paterson

Default ring alteration - K -> G ?

Hi There,

hoping this is a sensible place to ask...

my partner is rather petit at 4ft 11in - and has similarly small
fingers (measured as size G by a high street jeweler this weekend)..

however all of the rings that she has seen and likes only go as small
as a size K,

is it a simple job to alter a K size ring to fit a G sized finger ?,
is it something the average high street jeweler can do ?

Many Thanks

Terry
Old December 30th 03, 11:28 PM
Judy Shaw

Several questions.
1. What is the metal?
2. Are there any stones on it?
3. If stones are present, are they mounted in prongs, bezels or is it
channel set either partly or fully around?
4. What are the stones? Most colored stones can not take the heat of
sizing or repairs.
5. What do the shoulders of the ring next to the center stone(s) look like
from the side? Some of them definately do not size well without
distortion.

I gather you are in Canada. If you ever come to the Adirondacks of New
York, we are located 5 miles/8 kilometers from Gore Mountain Ski Area
(North Creek, NY) which is about 3 hours from Montreal. In most cases, I
would be able to do it with minimal waiting.

Judy Shaw, Graduate Jeweler-Gemologist (GIA)

Old December 31st 03, 02:46 AM
NE333RO

is it a simple job to alter a K size ring to fit a G sized finger ?,
is it something the average high street jeweler can do ?

If my calculations are correct that works out to 1 1/2 size (US). Barring a
few designs that are really not made to be sized, that should be do-able for
most jewelers. Without seeing the ring, thats the best info I can offer.

Ring ring! Charlie Beads 18 September 3rd 04 04:12 AM
opal triplet ring resized digicath Jewelry 8 October 28th 03 04:43 AM
"It's a Micheal!" Ring jcs Jewelry 14 October 9th 03 03:32 AM
Eternity Ring Shu Jewelry 0 July 29th 03 03:55 PM
diamond ring Misia Jewelry 8 July 23rd 03 03:10 PM