OT Wobbly connection

Old August 21st 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Wobbly connection

My connection has been wobbly the past day or so. So If I miss
anything important, send me chocolate and FQs as condolances.

The browser is staggering and stalling all over the place, usenet
downloads say there are so many new headers and then only give me half
or a third as many.
DH says it is on account of this:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...g/article.html
but I think he is probably overestimating the scope of the thing.

Hey if anybody knows anything about making a silicone casting from a
clay (plasticene) positive give us a yell eh? I got asked to make a
portrait dolly and I am looking into it. One of those things where I
keep saying "But I _paint_ portraits.", and the person who wants me to
do it keeps saying "Just think about it." I'll probably say no
anyway, but it is an interesting thing to learn about.

NightMist
only gets work during school vacations, and/or when the weather is
awful for it
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old August 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default portrait doll

Well. I didn't know you could paint portraits. How wonderful. That's a
gift I was not given; not even the smallest bit. How thrilled I would be to
be able to capture a likeness but that ability eludes me. However. My mind
just went on its usual zig-zag pattern and I wonder why a cloth doll using
the face from a photograph transferred to one of those Printed Treasures
sheets wouldn't be a neat trick? I just might give that a try for the
precious little girl in our family. Polly

Old August 22nd 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Hi Polly, that sounds like a good idea for any of us who are not gifted to
be able to paint portraits. Goodness NightMist, you are very talented!
Barbara in SC where temps have been above 100 for FAR too long

Old August 22nd 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Well I am not exactly Daniel Greene, but I do OK.

Music, painting, and sewing have been my passions since forever.
Before I started kindergarten I told my mom that when I grew up I was
going to make the clothes for the people in the Dare cookie
commercials, sing the song for them, and paint the cookie bags.

So anybody know if Dare is hiring?

NightMist
was also going to improve the lables on Shreddies and Alphagetti

Old August 22nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"NightMist" wrote in message

Hey if anybody knows anything about making a silicone casting from a
clay (plasticene) positive give us a yell eh?

What are you casting? I've made faces and other parts with body castings
from real people. I did a whole series of hands. Depending on who or what it
has different degrees of futzing. The faces I did were of 17 different
people in a theater club, some just 1/2 front face some full head. I've used
plaster, clay and silicone as materials.

Val

Old August 23rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:52:21 -0700, "Val"
wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message

Hey if anybody knows anything about making a silicone casting from a
clay (plasticene) positive give us a yell eh?

What are you casting? I've made faces and other parts with body castings
from real people. I did a whole series of hands. Depending on who or what it
has different degrees of futzing. The faces I did were of 17 different
people in a theater club, some just 1/2 front face some full head. I've used
plaster, clay and silicone as materials.

The idea is an 18 inch doll. Hence the need to sculpt the pos from
clay. I have figured out that I would either need to get more
expensive modeling clay (non sulfer bearing), or say to heck with
silicones and switch to hot melt vinyl.

Casting girly's face would be easy, just get out the moulage and make
her sit still for half an hour. In fact I offered a painted plaster
head instead of the doll, but grampa is set on the doll. I know what
some of the specialty dollmakers charge for such things now, so I am
looking at this project a lot more seriously. I imagine what the
experts charge is a big part of why gramps is talking to me. Plus he
knows about my portraits, and has seen me bring boxes of rehabbed flea
market dolls into the Salvation Army at Christmas.

NightMist

Old August 23rd 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"NightMist" wrote in message
The idea is an 18 inch doll. Hence the need to sculpt the pos from
clay. I have figured out that I would either need to get more
expensive modeling clay (non sulfer bearing), or say to heck with
silicones and switch to hot melt vinyl.

If you are thinking of casting silicone because it will be soft; The flesh
colored silicone I used is a 3 part mix and it is soft BUT you can't color
it, at least three of us never could come up with anything that we were
happy with, and I'm talking about 3 artists who collectively had about every
kind of paint, dye etc you could think of. There is a type of modeling clay
that's easy to work with and is made just to sculpt dolls. You can find it
at better craft stores and art supply. I wish I could remember what it was
called now. The people at the store would know. It's the same stuff that you
can use to press into head, hand, feet molds for making dolls. I've sculpted
doll heads out of it....several "ethnic Santa's" and it worked very well. It
comes in different tones and you can paint or use colored chalks, it takes
all kinds of pigments well. I used a pink pong ball to form the head so it
wouldn't be too heavy. That would be a lot easier than sculpting clay,
plaster negative, positive mold of whatever product. And if this is a one
time shot it's something to think about because of expense, time and
materials.

If you have anymore questions you can email me at valkyriemi at yahoo
yadda yadda yadda.

Val

group connection Boca Jan Quilting 0 July 21st 04 02:09 PM
Outlet loose connection? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 0 May 3rd 04 04:08 AM
Loose electrical connection AFTER wallpaper is up Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 0 April 18th 04 03:23 PM
Tracking down a loose electrical connection? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 2 April 14th 04 12:32 PM
Re-connection - OT? - depends I suppose! Patti Quilting 5 February 10th 04 09:08 AM