Invisible thread (again - sorry)

Old November 14th 04, 10:03 PM
muse9

Thank you Julia - I didn't know that! I guess I should take some quilting
classes sometime. I appreciate your help!

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

"Julia in MN" wrote in message
When I took my machine quilting class, I was told NOT to use
monofilament thread on the bobbin, so I have always used regular sewing
thread. This was at the store where I bought my machine. They said that
it winds so tight on the bobbin that the bobbin may break or at least
will be difficult to get off the winding mechanism.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 14th 04, 10:04 PM
muse9

I have seen bobbin thread and wondered what the difference was - thanks for
enlightening me!

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

"ALZ" wrote in message
Instead of invisible thread, I use YLI bobbin thread. It is so fine,
it practically disappears into the quilt.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old November 14th 04, 10:29 PM
Patti

Oh, I don't know ... sometimes!
..
In article , muse9
writes
: ) Just be thankful we are not making invisible quilts!

Bonnie

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 14th 04, 11:47 PM
Polly Esther

Always marching to a different drummer. I have with no problem at all using
invisible thread in the bobbin. If you give it a try, do remember to be very
patient and wind it on the bobbin s-l-o-w-l-y. Going fast apparently puts
too much tension on the wound thread, . . . or something. The great thing
about it is the bobbin will hold just miles and miles of it and you can FM
forever. Almost. Polly

Old November 15th 04, 01:14 AM
JG1

Winding the bobbin slower than usual helps. Winding slower keeps this thread
from stretching so much.
--
Ginger who *occasionally* uses monofilament thread on the bobbin

Old November 15th 04, 04:15 AM
muse9

If I counted all those quilts I've made in my head then I would have quite a
few "invisible" quilts! : )

Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

"Patti" wrote in message
Oh, I don't know ... sometimes!
.

Old November 15th 04, 01:48 PM

I use YLI in the bobbin, and also in the needle and bobbin, and have
very good results. If you have problems with knots or pulling, try
putting the spool in a large cup behind the SM. Nancycog in MD

Old November 15th 04, 02:28 PM
Roberta Zollner

It's a nuisance to wind it on bobbins. Also, it costs a lot more than plain
sewing cotton, at least over here!
If you like the look, you can adjust the tension so that the bobbin thread
just barely peeps through on the top. Combined with invisible thread, this
sort of almost looks like a little hand quilting stitch. The back of course
will not look hand quilted.
Roberta in D

"muse9" wrote in message
I never would have thought of using silk in the bobbin. Do you ever use

the
invisible in both?

Thanks,
Bonnie

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Different machines = different tricks. With my Pfaff, the top tension

has
be lowered for free-motion quilting. And the invisible seems to look a
little better if I use silk in the bobbin. This was serendipity -found a
great bargain on variegated silk thread at a quilt show and bought lots.

It
did not do well on top (although I didn't try it in a metallica needle),

but
it's just wonderful in the bobbin.
Make yourself a practice sandwich and do some doodling until you find

what
works.
Roberta in D

"muse9" wrote in message
I am still new at quilting and have not yet tried out any invisible

threads.
There are so many different colors in the two I Spy quilts I'm making

that
think this might be the best thread to use for machine quilting them.

bought a spool of Sulky polyester monofilament invisible thread. The

only
size available was "Fine .004". Is this size correct for machine

quilting
or is it too fine? Are there any tricks to using this thread for

machine
quilting? (lower tension, etc.?)

I know this subject has been discussed a lot before but I was still a

bit
unsure about this. Thanks so much for any pointers.

Bonnie
(working on piecing the second I Spy - not yet quilted the first)

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/bonnied9

delete "removespam" to reply

Old November 15th 04, 05:04 PM
Pati Cook

You can use invisible in the bobbin, but it is a pain. If you wind a
bobbin with the invisible thread, wind slowly and do not fill the bobbin
more than about half way. I usually use regular thread in the bobbin.
Do test your stitch to make sure the balance is correct.
BTW, I have never heard anything about the thread and getting it in
;your mouth. And most of it breaks just as easily as cotton thread.
Have fun.

Pati, in Phx

muse9 wrote:

This raises another question (I'm always full of them!) - can you use the
invisible thread in the bobbin as well? Is it better to use a different
thread in the bobbin? I always thought it was better to use the same weight
thread in top and bobbin but I am still learning. I have thought about the
beautiful varigated threads too!

Thanks Julia,
Bonnie

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 12:58 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 06:21 PM
Invisible thread? DQLTS Quilting 20 October 31st 04 12:51 AM
Machines and thread question muse9 Quilting 69 October 1st 04 09:44 AM
how do I size thread? Jean Peach Needlework 1 July 11th 03 05:30 PM