A message from Nurse Nice

Old August 23rd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default A message from Nurse Nice

John wrote:

In a rather funny development, We had no way for her to alert me that
she might need assistance if I am down stairs. You know, like
assistance getting to the bathroom or emptying the spittoon. I came up
with a particularly 19th century solution. Kind of like a page from
the British TV series Upstairs,Downstairs. I took a Bicycle Bell from
my collection of bicycle parts in the basement and attached it to the
headboard of the Victorian Bedstead and now if she needs me, she just
"dings me" and I come up wearing formal service livery, complete with
white gloves. All comments about my ringing her bell in bed, should be
deferred until a later date.

John

What a neat solution! My mum has a little bell she used once when I
needed to nurse her. Little Victorian lady in a crinoline. Pretty, but
we discovered it wasn't loud enough!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 23rd 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

John wrote:
On Aug 22, 2:20 pm, Taria wrote:
That is what folks that stay married a long time do. I sure like the
better parts best but gotta work with what you have. I hope your wife
is feeling better soon. I am sort of like Mr. Esther. I am not much
of a nurse. Anyone sick around here gets well quick so as to
avoid my poor nurse work though.
Take care,
TAria

Kind of the "Tough Love" Theory, I guess, on your part.

John

I'm a bit like that - I used to ask my baby cherub if the floor was OK
when he fell over. He tended to forget the bumps and grazes while
looking for holes in the floor!

But the one he never forgets is that his dad made him walk on what
turned out to be a chipped ankle bone that took six week, six plasters
and a doze of trench foot before it got better... And I prickled him
with a pineapple in a Sansbury's wheelchair!

Old August 23rd 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 22, 7:14 pm, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:

What a neat solution! My mum has a little bell she used once when I
needed to nurse her. Little Victorian lady in a crinoline. Pretty, but
we discovered it wasn't loud enough!

Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

This one is called "Incredibell" and is quite loud. So far it has
served it's purpose. I don't think the sound would carry three floors.
just one downstairs.

John

Old August 23rd 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message .com, John
writes
On Aug 22, 7:14 pm, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:

What a neat solution! My mum has a little bell she used once when I
needed to nurse her. Little Victorian lady in a crinoline. Pretty, but
we discovered it wasn't loud enough!

Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate
Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

This one is called "Incredibell" and is quite loud. So far it has
served it's purpose. I don't think the sound would carry three floors.
just one downstairs.

John

When my heart problems were really troublesome we rigged up one of those
wire less door bells. The bell part was plugged into an electric socket
downstairs as usual. I had the bell push that fits on the door on my
beside table.
Worked a treat.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 23rd 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Shirley Shone wrote:
In message .com, John
writes
On Aug 22, 7:14 pm, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:

What a neat solution! My mum has a little bell she used once when I
needed to nurse her. Little Victorian lady in a crinoline. Pretty, but
we discovered it wasn't loud enough!

Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate
Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

This one is called "Incredibell" and is quite loud. So far it has
served it's purpose. I don't think the sound would carry three floors.
just one downstairs.

John

When my heart problems were really troublesome we rigged up one of those
wire less door bells. The bell part was plugged into an electric socket
downstairs as usual. I had the bell push that fits on the door on my
beside table.
Worked a treat.
Shirley

ooh! A hi-tec solution! I must remember that...

Old August 23rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

"In sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, til death do us part" has
become a silent mantra around here. My poor DH (on dialysis) had to have
his arm declotted twice in 7 days after going through the same procedure in
April. I've often told him he was wise to be a wonderful husband all these
years because it makes the bad times much easier to manage and I think he is
worth every minute of care I give him. On the other hand, when I spent
three days cleaning up water leaking into my basement office (removing all
wall and floor coverings, moving two heavy office desks, computer table, two
smaller tables, two computers, and a file cabinet) he was kind enough to fix
his own breakfast and pack his own lunch for dialysis, but didn't think to
ask me if I wanted to eat after six hours working on getting rid of soggy
carpeting. Gotta love him!

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

I guess I will just have to live up to the, "For better or Worse",
part of the marriage vows.

John

Old August 24th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Sending good, healing thoughts to your DW and all the strength I can spare
to you, John. And you're absolutely right about getting old--it's not for
sissies! I'm just grateful I am still able to quilt and ride my bike and
enjoy life. And work a full-time job that is both interesting and
challenging.

There are moments, though, when retirement looks very sweet indeed!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just got back from taking my wife to the dentist where she had some
oral surgery done on both sides of her mouth. My day will consit of
changing out the mouthwash spittoon and feeding her vicodin. The poor
girl is so out of it, she really dosen't know what is going on. The
whole house is torn up so that the 22 windows scheduled for
replacement, can take place tomorrow with all the furniture and wall
hangings placed in the center of the room and covered with cloth. We
had a friend staying with us for a couple of days and she has just
left. Boy, I am just staying around her to see what will happen next.
I think I should start taking the vicodin and just crawl into bed
myself, but then who would empty the spitoon? Getting old is a bitch,
but is better than the alternative, I think.

John

Old August 24th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

That was good for an early-morning chuckle! Good idea, BTW. MSM and I
should rig up something similar between our houses---oh, never mind, they
call it a telephone.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

oups.com...

Nurse Nice John Quilting 9 March 10th 07 12:48 PM
REQ: economical source for message beads and message rings Rachel Beads 1 July 11th 06 12:35 PM
Nurse Ratched. Estelle Gallagher Quilting 0 January 13th 05 10:21 AM
Another Nurse Ratched Swap Nurse Ratched Quilting 2 February 5th 04 02:26 AM
Nurse Ratched's Strip SWAP CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 4 November 2nd 03 01:15 AM