OT--hard drive died :(

Old August 23rd 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jenn/Jalynne

Default OT--hard drive died :(

I'll do what I can, my friend, but Jym's working 60-70 hours a week these
days, so it's hard to even get a word in. The only way we've been able to
get stuff off the hard drives we had in our laptops was to get USB cases for
them, and then they become external drives. Might be an option, but make
sure that the # of pins match. If you need more info, let me know. I'll be
around a lot this weekend.

Jenn in Tacoma

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
hi jenn, :-)
installed one new h/d ok.
now need to set second old one as slave and see if i can figure out how to
get the data off it.
it failed the diagnostics test for 'read' and 'verify' sections.
hence the replacements.
once i do that, i'll remove it, install second new h/d, set it as slave
and whenever i have to save important stuff will save it to both h/d's.
should cover me for any future h/d crashing.
i know there are easier ways to save stuff but seems the easiest for me.
i think retrieval will take me some time to figure out tho.
also got to install some new ram sticks.
the ones in there now are 2 x 256, 533 mhz.
new ones are 2 x 512, 667 mhz.
could ya ask J if the 667 is a worry with the system i have.
only info i could find in manual and on bios show only 400 and 533 mhz,
nothing there about using higher.
i presume this is the speed they work at?
if that is correct, is it likely to blow up my motherboard? power unit?
ram sticks themselves?
soon as i work that one out will install and hopefully be able to do more
things on here at once.
hugz,
jeanne

"Jenn/Jalynne" wrote...
Are you back yet??? We miss you...

Jenn in Tacoma

Old August 23rd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

no worrys, Jenn.
jym is way too busy now, what a long long week that must be for him.

i'm finding stuff online that i think i can fix it now.
just gotta eat some b/fast first to get the old brain into best functioning
posi i can before i start.
gotta do the pin switch'n on the h/d to set it to slave, then see if the
recovery program i found works.
oh yea must also email the program makers bout adding EQ file extensions to
the list of files to recover.
dont wanna lose all those pretty designs now do i, lol.
b/fast time now, will return later, to re-read the pins config before i
start.
hugz,
jeanne

"Jenn/Jalynne" wrote...

Old August 24th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jenn/Jalynne

I'm sure you'll be able to do it. It's not always easy, but I know that
unless you've reformatted or written over files, you never permanently lose
them.
I'll be at work tomorrow, but will be on Yahoo IM, if you wanna chat. There
is a web version, in case you don't want to install it just yet.
webmessenger.yahoo.com

Jenn

Old August 24th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i'm still work'n on it.
moved pins on SATA drive but now find i dont need to.
might be the motherboard plug for the SATA that is kaput.
will move sata plug to another one but not today, i'm pooped out.
been trying all and sundry to figure this out.
not give'n up yet tho.
i'll try to find ya online tomorrow.
tho if i get busy and forget, i'm ever so sorry.
just gotta get this damn thing work'n properly and get my data off old h/d.
hugz,
jeanne

"Jenn/Jalynne" wrote...
I'm sure you'll be able to do it. It's not always easy, but I know that
unless you've reformatted or written over files, you never permanently
lose them.
I'll be at work tomorrow, but will be on Yahoo IM, if you wanna chat.
There is a web version, in case you don't want to install it just yet.
webmessenger.yahoo.com
Jenn

sad news another LQS has died Helen in MN Quilting 12 January 2nd 05 11:54 AM
Hard Drive Failure ALZ Quilting 9 December 3rd 04 12:56 AM
My Gerty Died Sharon Harper Quilting 12 May 26th 04 10:59 PM
OT -- Colby Died BeckiBead Beads 2 March 21st 04 01:18 AM
back from hard drive hell Mystified One Quilting 3 January 27th 04 11:36 PM