Need Ideas

Old June 26th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Need Ideas

I am a newbie to quilting, but very enthusiastic and raring to go!!

I picked up loads of autumnal fabrics from a shopping spree a while ago and
have been stuck as to what design quilt to make. I would love to make a
small wall hanging for a dear friend of mine who is not very well. I have
lots of burnt ambers, deep burgundy reds and mustardy fabrics with leafy
prints on. I have metres and half metres of most of the fabrics (85%) with
some fat quarters thrown in.

I've taken pics of the fabrics so you can get a better idea

http://community.webshots.com/album/551700610TUCZJT

I'd love some ideas and I promise to send a pic of the finished article!

Fran
xx

Old June 26th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome to the group Fran.
There are some lovely Autumn leaves patterns about (sorry, I don't know
of any specific ones, except that Judy Martin has a couple of nice ones
in one of her books). Some are fairly simple and they do look gorgeous.
With those fabrics it would look stunning, if you had a plainish
background eg cream for all the leaves. Perhaps you could try Googling
(Images) for examples.
Jackie Robinson has a tessellation one in her book on Tessellations. It
is simple, but stylised. There are other more leaf-like ones.
..
In message , Missie_M
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 26th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Those are very nice fabrics! Where are you keeping them? Please be specific
and include maps.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old June 26th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yum! Those are all my favorite colors! Just in case you don't come up
with a good way to use them, you could send them to me and I promise to
give them a good home.

Oh, yes. Welcome to the ng newbie Fran :-) There is a fairly easy
nine-patch variation called Maple Leaf that my sister is using. She is
not a newbie to sewing but this is one of her first quilt attempts.
Seems like it would fit with autumn-y colors.
http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/MapleLeafBlock.html

DSis is making it without the "stem", and with an HST in that square
turned to make a flat bottom to the leaf.

Anne in CA -- trying to make welcome noises and not drool all over
Fran's stash ---

annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Old June 26th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Missie_M" wrote:

I am a newbie to quilting, but very enthusiastic and raring to go!!

I picked up loads of autumnal fabrics from a shopping spree a while ago and
have been stuck as to what design quilt to make. I would love to make a
small wall hanging for a dear friend of mine who is not very well. I have
lots of burnt ambers, deep burgundy reds and mustardy fabrics with leafy
prints on. I have metres and half metres of most of the fabrics (85%) with
some fat quarters thrown in.

I've taken pics of the fabrics so you can get a better idea

http://community.webshots.com/album/551700610TUCZJT

I'd love some ideas and I promise to send a pic of the finished article!

Fran
xx

Welcome, Missie! We're glad to see you here. After looking at your
fabrics, I think that they cry out for a maple leaf pattern. Many of
them are simple enough for a newbie to enjoy making; here's one of many
available: http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/MapleLeafBlock.html. You
could use a variety of your fabrics on a cream (or even dark brown, if
you used your paler fabrics!) background.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old June 26th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Fran: The photos are not sharp, so I
can't make suggestions now. Send me half
of each piece, and I will be able to
study and advise. Meantime, welcome! Got
chocolate?
PAT in VA/USA
Official Chocolate Taster
PS: I really like Ozark Maple Leaf
http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/Oza...LeafBlock.html

But I prefer to make it with fewer pieces.

Old June 26th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A third vote for a maple leaf block.

Welcome to RCTQ.

Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old June 26th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Fran,

Welcome to the group! I love the fabric colors you have, and I think Anne
and Sandy have given you a good suggestion for a fairly easy quilt. You
could do with four squares or six, and it would be lovely.

I used the pattern (and found it easy to work with) and made a queen-size
quilt. If you'd like to take a look, here's the link:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53114356RyuXKs
I did mine on-point, but you could use a straight setting and turn each
block a different direction so that the stems met in the middle. Just a
thought!

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old June 26th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Susan and everyone

I'm not exactly a newbie to the group, I posted a few times about two years
ago shortly before I moved house. The stress of moving house triggered my
M.E. to relapse and I remained ill till August last year when I won a
holistic holiday through a competition which really seemed to help. When I
returned home I was a lot better than before the holiday, which had piqued
my interest in complementary therapies and I enrolled on a college course. I
am two days away from finishing and becoming a qualified holistic therapist
but since Easter my M.E. has been gradually creeping up on me again. Today
has actually been my worst day yet since my major relapse in 2004/2005 and I
have been forced to rest today, but in the hope of cheering myself up and
give myself something to focus on I got out all my old copies of patchwork
and quilting magazines, which then reminded me that I had all that fabric
stored in my wardrobe that I have been dying to use for two years.

So I've promised myself today that it has been put off for long enough! I
found patchwork (I never got as far as quilting before) so therapeutic that
even if this really is the start of another major relapse then on the days
when I feel up to it I can try and do a little bit and hopefully it will be
as comforting as before.

Another reason I would like to make it is that I have a very dear friend who
I would like to give something special to.

I've got tomorrow to rest up and maybe do a little cutting and stitching
before Wednesday and Thursday when I have to go into college to complete my
final assessment.

I'm definitely going with the maple leaf idea, it is absolutely ideal! I'm a
bit nervy about trying to do the stem but I'll give it a shot but I'm not
going to stress as I can always pinch Anne's sister's idea and give it a
flat bottom.

Pat.....even I am lucky to get chocolate, my five year old usually beats me
to it!!

Roberta.....I use a sewing machine but I also know some very basic stitching
techniques by hand

Wendy......thanks for making me laugh today (hugs)

Louise.....that quilt looks amazing!!! How long did it take you to make?

Fran
xx

.net...

Old June 26th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Louise, I agree with Fran--that quilt is beautiful!

--
Donna in NE La.

"Missie_M" wrote in message
I am a newbie to quilting, but very enthusiastic and raring to go!!

I picked up loads of autumnal fabrics from a shopping spree a while ago
and have been stuck as to what design quilt to make. I would love to make
a small wall hanging for a dear friend of mine who is not very well. I
have lots of burnt ambers, deep burgundy reds and mustardy fabrics with
leafy prints on. I have metres and half metres of most of the fabrics
(85%) with some fat quarters thrown in.

I've taken pics of the fabrics so you can get a better idea

http://community.webshots.com/album/551700610TUCZJT

I'd love some ideas and I promise to send a pic of the finished article!

Fran
xx

Teenager sewing class ideas for a friend Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send Sewing 31 March 20th 06 08:29 PM
Ideas needed Susan Carey Yarn 10 June 7th 05 08:22 PM
ideas on floor cloths or area rugs painted or kintted Warmhands Yarn 9 February 18th 04 03:04 AM
Looking for patterns or ideas Warmhands General Crafting 1 February 17th 04 05:44 AM
Ideas for finishing a project Ceredwynn \(remove the bad robot to reply\) Needlework 4 September 13th 03 06:10 AM