Going to Europe

Old February 8th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default Going to Europe

Hi Guys,
I will be going to Europe with DH next month. He has to go on
business to manufacturers who are somewhere in the southern part of The
Netherlands (1 hour from Dusseldorf) and somewhere 3 hours north of
Prague. I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any ethnic type quilting
stuff I should be on the lookout for?
I have harassed DH about getting me the names of the towns we will
be in but he is more interested in searching out decent airfares. He
has to see the parts manufacturers in both places during the day so I
will have the days to myself :-))). That is good -- I get to wander
around by myself. I do suppose I should get some sort of
English-Chezck (how DO you spell that?!?!?) dictionary so that I can at
least ask for the correct number of things or prices, etc. I'm sooooo
excited -- this is going to be wonderful. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old February 8th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Hey that's near me!!!!!!

don't worry most Dutch people speak English and almost everything is clearly
priced too ;-)

please email me jessamy _ thompson @ orange . nl (remove spaces first
please!) and I will help as much as I can and if at all possible I'd love a
meet up (or two if the first is fun and we have time :-D )

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Old February 8th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Are you sure that 3 hours north of Prague is still in the Czech Republic? On
my one trip to Prague, right after the Wall came down, there was no problem
making myself understood. Probably even more people speak English now! IIRC
there is a large American community there.

One thing I plan to track down some day is allegedly found near Dresden in
the town of Pulsnitz. It's called "Blaudruck" (blue print) and the technique
goes back centuries. They first printed blue designs on linen with woad dye,
now it's more indigo on cotton. I saw some reproduction bed curtains in a
museum, they were lovely, and the nice museum lady told me what to look for.
http://www.ernst-rietschel.com/blaud...ml/angebot.htm

Another cool textile from the German state of Thuringia is "Plauener
Spitze", a special lace-making technique that uses thread painting on gauze.
Made nowadays by machine, so it's affordable. After stitching the designs,
the gauze goes into an acid bath and dissolves, leaving the thread lace.
http://www.exclusives-ambiente.de/en...ze/default.htm

Find out where you will be, and we'll be more help. Most actual quilting
supplies and fabrics are imported from the USA (at great expense), so you
don't need to buy those. But there are a number of interesting regional
fabrics around, including a lovely range of woven stripes and plaids made in
Germany (Westphalen Stoff).
Roberta in D

Old February 8th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Jessamy wrote:

Hey that's near me!!!!!!

don't worry most Dutch people speak English and almost everything is clearly
priced too ;-)

please email me jessamy _ thompson @ orange . nl (remove spaces first
please!) and I will help as much as I can and if at all possible I'd love a
meet up (or two if the first is fun and we have time :-D )

Jessamy -- I will certainly e-mail you. If we will be anywhere
near you, I would absolutely LOVE to have a meet & greet :-). Also, if
we do this, you will need to think of what type of quilty stuff I can
bring you from this side of the pond!! We'll talk more in e-mail :-))).
Anyway, when we were in Amsterdam in 2002, I found that just about
everyone spoke English and did so quite well! I was quite at ease
wandering around town by myself while DH was in his seminars.
I am sitting here looking at my VERY old world atlas and the nearest
largish city to Dusseldorf is Arnhem. DH *still* hasn't found out the
names of the places we will be visiting!! Anyway, the town is supposed
to be just an hours drive north of Dusseldorf and I have no idea if
Arnhem really is where we will be!
I have just gotten off the phone with DH and told him -- insisted
actually, LOL -- that he find out exactly where we will be on this
trip!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old February 8th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Roberta Zollner wrote:

Are you sure that 3 hours north of Prague is still in the Czech Republic? On
my one trip to Prague, right after the Wall came down, there was no problem
making myself understood. Probably even more people speak English now! IIRC
there is a large American community there.
Find out where you will be, and we'll be more help. Most actual quilting
supplies and fabrics are imported from the USA (at great expense), so you
don't need to buy those. But there are a number of interesting regional
fabrics around, including a lovely range of woven stripes and plaids made in
Germany (Westphalen Stoff).
Roberta in D

I just phoned DH and asked him if the town that is 3 hours north of
Prague is even in the Czech Republic -- and thanks for the correct
spelling! He has no idea just *where* we will be -- only that Prague is
the nearest city with an airport we can fly into! He is Slovenian --
his dad was born in Yugoslavia and didn't come to the States until he
was five. His mom was born there also but came to this country when
just a baby. Anyway, being raised amongst a bunch of "bohunks" and
other assorted folks born and raised in various parts of Europe his
attitude to where we will be is fairly blase'. He just says we will be
somewhere in "one of those central European" cities -- LOL!
Anyway, I have been quite firm in my request for the name of the
town we will be in that is "about 3 hours drive" north of Prague. I
must assume it is a fairly good sized town since the company he will be
visiting makes intricate engine parts for gas turbines. Hopefully, I
will have names later today. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old February 8th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:38:06 -0600, Tia Mary wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Can't help you on what to look for, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Maureen

Old February 8th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Oh, that sounds like a fun trip!! It is nice that you will be able to go
with him.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old February 8th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Tia Mary wrote:
....... Anyway, I have been quite firm in my request for the name of the town
we will be in that is "about 3 hours drive" north of Prague. I must
assume it is a fairly good sized town since the company he will be
visiting makes intricate engine parts for gas turbines. Hopefully, I
will have names later today. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Piggybacking here. DH just phoned with the towns and I have found
them on the map :-). We will be in Lomm, The Netherlands which really
is near the German border. Looks like the closest larger town people
might recognize is Venlo. I have e-mailed Jessamy and I REALLY hope
this is not too terribly far from where she lives. I would really like
to get to meet someone who lives somewhere outside North America :-)!
In the Czech Republic we will be in a smallish town called Hlubocky
and the nearest larger town there is Brno -- I even recognize that name
:-). It's also *south* of Prague, not north as I thought DH had told
me. DH's boss (German man who has traveled all over Europe and knows
the area) says that Brno is only about 10 or 15 miles from Hlubocky so
it would likely be better to stay there. More possibility of having a
hotel whose rooms have private bathrooms -- one thing we spoiled
Americans want :-).
So, if anyone knows anything about either of these areas, please let
me know. I did find both areas on the map and told DH that Brno is just
about directly north of Vienna and looks to be a much easier drive than
from Prague. Of course, airfare from Dusseldorf to Vienna might be much
more expensive than from Dusseldorf to Prague but Dh is going to check.
We'll see -- it will be fun regardless!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old February 8th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Luckily Venlo is "just" 45 mins away from me :-D

both Vienna and Prague have their merits visitor wise I'd be hard pressed to
choose actually - good thing I don't have to LOL

Old February 8th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Oh, wow! Thanks, Roberta!
Good reminder on the Blaudruck (haven't seen any in years).
Lovely lace; interesting process.
Of course I got some of Westphalen Stoff when I was in your
"neighborhood." g Had ordered some online from here in the U.S.
but the variety at the shop in Rothenburg was much better.
http://www.patchworkladen.de/index.html

R/Sandy--eeking out the Lebkuchen g

Squish Europe Betsy Ross Quilting 25 November 19th 05 06:52 PM
Fabric in Europe Question [email protected] Needlework 7 March 6th 05 03:58 PM
Buying Beads in Europe Laura Beads 7 August 20th 03 01:08 AM